Rockford Road Runners
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 1s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Drove the 90 minutes up to the race venue. Got there with just enough time to register, use the bathroom and then the race started!
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was pretty challenging -- a lot of parts were pretty slick with mud, and there were also hills to contend with. As far as trail runs go, I imagine this one wasn't too difficult (this is my first ever trail run) on the grand scale of things, but gave me a tough time. And - mud and 40 degrees was better than snow and 10 degrees! It was really windy out, but that turned out to be a non-factor -- in the woods, the wind was pretty well blocked.

I was a little disappointed with myself; in this race, you had age group tags pinned to your back, so you always easily knew who you had to beat. There were two girls in my age group that I was right behind for most of the race ... at around 2.25 miles, though, they pulled ahead and I just didn't have it in me to keep up. If I could have kept on their tails and had a good last kick, I could have taken 2nd in my AG. I kind of lost it mentally, I think. Part of it was certainly not enough training lately, but I don't think that was all of it.
What would you do differently?:

More training. I've never done any kind of trail running, so this was all new to me. Footing was dicey in a lot of places due to mud, and while I think I navigated it pretty well, it seemed like other people were able to keep up a better pace than me and still seem sure-footed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some chili and hot chocolate. My sister (who lives about 5 minutes from the race venue) had come out to cheer me on, so I chatted with her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, bad footing.

Event comments:

This race is part of a 4-part trail run series. Next up is a 10k. Then it rounds out with a 15k and 20k. Should be a challenge for me! But - I'm looking forward to it.

Last updated: 2006-12-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:01 | 03.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Trail run. Parts were very muddy -- reminded me of a slip-n-slide! -- and fairly hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-12-16 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Rock Cut Trail Series (5K)

2007-01-01 6:55 AM
in reply to: #625896

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Rock Cut Trail Series (5K)
Very cool!  I've never done a trail run, but thought about it.  You did really great!  Thanks for the race report (and the motivation/inspiration to sign up for one of these    ).
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock Cut Trail Series (5K) Rss Feed