General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Last HIM Race??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-29 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: IM Training - Last HIM Race???

I am trying to finalize my Spring race schedule leading up to IM CdA.  I really would like to get in 2 HIM races as part of my training.  As I've mentioned in other posts, I am having OWS race issues and I feel I need as much race experience as possible.  The plan for these HIM races will be to treat them as training without emphasis on time.  As I am trying to lay everything out, I am having a hard time finding a second HIM that fits my personal/work/travel schedule. 

Is 3 weeks out from CdA too late to do a HIM if I do it at moderate pace.  Looking at my training plans, the time spent on the course seems to fit in with what is required for that weekend.  Is this ok, or should I rearrange my schedule to find a different race earlier in the season.

All advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

2006-12-29 2:36 PM
in reply to: #636397

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: IM Training - Last HIM Race???

Doug:

I was told by my coach that three weeks was too close ... I was going to do the Macon (Ga) Rock & Roll H-IM in the first week of June - and she shot it down as too close.

There are a number of H-IM's in early May (trifind.com or active.com) ... but you also do not need to limit yourself to a H-IM as the swim start + OWS is the issue.  Be sure to check the format of the swim start as you'll prolly want a beach mass start (or at least AG beach start) so that you get the full effect.

2006-12-29 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

IM CDA beach start isn't really like most beach starts.  The first row of people actually have one foot in the water and then everyone is stacked up right behind them.  There is no run from 20 yards (let's say) on the beach to the water. 

I also don't know too many wave start races that are going to mimic an IM mass start of 2400 people.  If OWS is an issue just get in the open water somewhere and do some swims.  Have fun with it.  Watch the kids playing in the water and pretend you are like them, not a care in the world.

The Gatorade swims the few days before the actual race is a good time to practice as well, just make sure you get some swims in before that.

Remember - it's all good.

2006-12-29 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lenexa, KS
I had wondered the same thing and was going to post a similiar question. I have a HIM I was thinking of doing that's 3 weeks prior to Louisville. I was going to take the same idea as you have and use it as a training day and try and fine tune for IM Louisville.

I'll wait and see some more advice from others.

2006-12-29 7:31 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
A HIM 3 weeks out is no good, you should be already one week into your taper. You also don't want to tear your body down that much so close to your A race. I would say a HIM no less than 6 weeks out (maybe 5 if you recover quickly). Your time will be better spent training, not recovering from a race.
2006-12-30 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
been there....Coach #1 wanted me to do 2 HIM before my IM and we picked some out and I signed up.  Changed to a new coach who thought my 2nd HIM about 7-8 weeks out was too close and I did an oly that weekend instead.  I think it partly depends on how your body takes the pounding but I would think 3 weeks is a bit too close.  If its mostly the swim that is an issue how about finding an aquabike or something then you would not have the pounding of the running...then again Maybe you are a fantastic runner and its not an issue for you.  Either that or maybe an Oly since an oly swim is only about 400 yards or so shorter than a HIM swim.

2006-12-30 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Thanks for the advice everybody.  This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  Consider your advice taken.  I will rearrange some things in May to get my 2nd HIM about 5-6 weeks from race day.  I am not concerned that this is too close as my body recovers pretty quickly as I have a strong distance running base.

I also found a 2 mile open water swim competition about a month from race day.  So, between the 2 HIM's, the 2 mile swim, and (as suggested) the practice swims the week of the race, I should have the additional 'swimming in traffic' experience I am looking for.  

Thanks again! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Last HIM Race??? Rss Feed