General Discussion Triathlon Talk » novice training program question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-02 5:11 PM

New user

Subject: novice training program question
I'm planning to start training for a triathlon in the next few weeks and am trying to figure out how to fit in the different workouts. How strict are the training programs? For instance, the one I am planning on (Olympic 3x balanced) combines the bike/swim portion in the same day and then the run is a separate day. It would work better for me to do the swim and run on the same days and bike on its own. Does that screw up the effectiveness of the program?

2007-01-02 5:26 PM
in reply to: #639882

User image

Subject: RE: novice training program question

First off, welcome to BT! 

At the risk of stepping on Mike Ricci's or anyone else's foot that designs these things, I think it's OK to switch most things around.  After all, we all have jobs and lives and kids and whatever, and we can't always do the programs exactly.

That said, there are a few guidelines, I think.  A long run and long bike should be separated by more than 24 hours if possible (although sometimes it's good to feel what running on "tired legs:" is like).  I try not to do one sport more than 3 days in a row, preferably 2.  Make sure you retain a rest day.  I try not to do a long run after a hill repeat or fartlek run where I burn the legs a little more.  If you have to skip a workout, try not to make it the long run or ride.

I am sure people more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

Chris

2007-01-02 5:46 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

ChrisM answered this perfectly.  I designed the 3x Oly plan and since it's a template, it's meant to be re-arranged as we all lead different lives.  You can shuffle things around where needed but make sure you keep 24 hours rest after a long session OR put in one of the 'short' other tri-sports the next day following a long workout as a recovery workout - and make them real easy.

2007-01-02 5:58 PM

User image

Of course I meant "Mike Ricci or Ron" 
2007-01-02 6:02 PM
in reply to: #639919

New user

thanks so much Ron and ChrisM!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » novice training program question Rss Feed