General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Recomendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-03 7:28 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Subject: Wetsuit Recomendations
Providing I don't have to replace my wheels: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
I have about $300 to spend on a wetsuit. This will be my first wetsuit so I'm looking for recomendations. I'm looking at the current issue if Triathlete Mag. as well...they have a review of wetsuits. Also, I'm not sure what to get as far as full wetsuit, sleeveless, etc...I live in Indiana and will probably do 1 or two sprints in May and early June which actually can still be a little chilly. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Edited by jmickle11 2007-01-03 7:49 PM

2007-01-03 7:51 PM
in reply to: #641397

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Wetsuit Recomendations
I have an older Ironman (a/k/a 70/30 or something like that) and got an end of season deal. I've heard good things about the ProMotions and the Quintana Roos. It's a good article in Triathlete magazine, but the best advice is to get to a tri store and try some on -- even if you don't buy one. At least you'll know what to look for.

My local store had 2 wetsuits in my size -- yep, just 2 -- and I hated them both. Now I know how a sausage feels. But it allowed me to ask good questions when I bought mine over the phone from a dealer, because I was able to explain the good and bad of what I'd tried.

It's like buying a running shoe. Would you buy a shoe based only on reading a review?

By the way, mine's a full suit, which I've worn in the summer months in PA, NY and WV, and soon, NC and CA. I think the IM cut-off is 70F, so most people wear theirs if the water is cooler.

Good luck!
2007-01-03 10:34 PM
in reply to: #641411

Subject: RE: Wetsuit Recomendations
Good advice in the previous post. Fullsuits are a LOT faster. Everyone hates how they feel, nd they are a pain top put on, but they are significantly faster. A sleeveless, no matter how well it fits, catches water under the armpit and makes the equivalent of a small parachute.

Some wetsuits fit stockier individuals better (Ironman used to) and others tend to fit thinner individuals better (XTerra and Orca used to be). I haven't wetsuit shopped in a couple of years, so ask someone who knows this year's lines and try them on.

Ken
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit Recomendations Rss Feed