General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on the Over the Mountain Oly Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-04 10:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Feedback on the Over the Mountain Oly
Anyone have feedback on this race that has done it in the past. I am thinking about making this my first olympic since its fairly close, the whole point to point race style is kinda freaky to me though.

2007-01-04 11:27 AM
in reply to: #642113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Davidson, NC
Subject: RE: Feedback on the Over the Mountain Oly

This is of fairly limited use to you, I expect.  I haven't done this race precisely because it is a point to point and I thought that it would be a pain in the butt.  Several people I know did it last year, though, and said that it being point to point isn't a problem at all.

Soooo, I'm going to do it this year.   

I'm not sure where you are, but Bandit's is in the same part of the state, more or less and it's not point to point.  It's one of my favorite NCTS races. 

2007-01-04 2:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Everyone I know that has done this race really likes it. I had planned on doing this race before I got a slot in Alcatraz (same weekend). Go for it!
2007-01-04 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
One of my racing buddies had rave reviews about it. He said it was a great race and had no issues with the point to point race.

This will be my first Oly as well.
2007-01-11 3:51 PM

I did OTM last year as my first Oly tri. I'd done several sprints before, and I didn't find the point-to-point much more difficult. Really the only trick is to get there EARLY. Takes a lot longer than I thought to set up transitions in two different locations and then grab the bus to get back to the start.

I found the swim to be just fine, and the bike was fun but tough. There is one long hill that's advertised, so you're ready for that one, but there's another that's steeper and it really caught me by surprise. The run is a two-loop course and largely unshaded...I could feel myself slowing in the sun and speeding up in the (few) shaded parts.

Good luck in it...I may yet be convinced to do that one again!

FAF

PS: First post here, so if I missed any board-specific etiquette things, let me know!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feedback on the Over the Mountain Oly Rss Feed