General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain while swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-04 1:47 PM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Elbow pain while swimming
This has started happening yesterday with my lunch hour swim, and was a bit worse again today. I notice that near the bottom of my swim stroke (only on my right arm), when I reach the downward apex and am at full thrust, the inside of my elbow gets a sharp shooting pain. It occurs in the soft area between my elbow and some little knobby job just inside (towards my chest). Again, only at the bottom of the stroke. A short, stabbing pain. I'm thinking "tennis elbow," but I am not at all sure. Help!

2007-01-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #642402

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Elbow pain while swimming

I believe that tennis elbow is a form of tendonitis, usually an overuse injury.  I'd expect some weakness and dull pain or shortened range of motion from that.  But what you're describing sounds very different to me. 

I'd get it checked out by a phys/therapist or sports med person ASAP.

2007-01-10 4:09 AM

User image

Veteran
I get tennis elbow from swimming that affects me just as you describe. I typically get it when I haven't swum for a while and start ramping back up. If I reduce intensity/frequency/distance for a bit it goes away.

Hope this is a temporary problem for you.
2007-01-10 4:33 AM

User image

Regular
Erskineville
I was reading an artical today which may be of some help. Basically in your stroke at the point you "catch" the water to bring your hand down and under your body, the hand is supposed to be lower than your elbow. I do this as I have been taught to have a long stroke so often my hand is only a few cm's under the water surface.

It's interesting to read this post as I have had similar pains in my right elbow (which is the stronger arm so I spose have more control to enter the water and keep my hand high) and possibly put two and two together. It may not be the cause but if this is the case and your elbow is higher than your hand, there may be a lot of pressure on your elbow down and through the stoke.

Like I say, don't know. I just thought it may help...
2007-01-12 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Not an expert, but I have experienced this anomally every once in awhile during a long session (towards the end).  I used to pitch in HS, and I think its probably from throwing 1 or 2 many curve balls.   I have always thought that mine was utlizing the elbow too much.  For example, reading what the experts say, you are suppose to have a high elbow and put it around "the barrell" and then pull back.  I think what I do (and many others) is to not only pull w/ the lats and the shoulder, but to use the elbow, too.  The elbow being a smaller joint/muscle than shoulder/lats isnt't good at handling that kind of stress.

My $.02.

2007-01-13 3:19 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Its probab;y some sort of tendinitis.  Have a coach look at your stroke to be sure its not someting simple.  It that doesn' rezolve things see an orthopedist.  This can usua;;y be treated conservatively

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elbow pain while swimming Rss Feed