General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim clubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-04 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Masters swim clubs
I am going for my first Masters swim club workout next Monday and am a little nervous about jumping back in the pool in an organized team setting. Can any of you tell me if joining the club was beneficial to their tri training. I mean, of course swimming lots is good for the swim portion (duh) but were you able to adapt the training to meet your needs as a triathlete?

Did the coach give you more distance focused workouts than the usual 50s-100s?

Were you forced to do tons of breast stroke and butterfly when you obviously didnt want to?

I think you see where I am getting at. Sell it to me please.

Thanks a bunch.

2007-01-04 4:25 PM
in reply to: #642583

User image

Subject: RE: Masters swim clubs

sauna66 - 2007-01-04 1:51 PM I am going for my first Masters swim club workout next Monday and am a little nervous about jumping back in the pool in an organized team setting. Can any of you tell me if joining the club was beneficial to their tri training. I mean, of course swimming lots is good for the swim portion (duh) but were you able to adapt the training to meet your needs as a triathlete?

COngrats on taking the plunge!!

As to your questions, for me, yes, but the masters swim coach and 50-75% of the people in the class are triathletes.   Tell the coach you are a triathlete, but frankly, unless you are tapering for or recovering from a race, a workout will do you good.  We have triathletes and non-triathletes in the grop, and we all do the same workout.  Nothing really needs to be adapted, IMHO.

We've never had usual 50s-100s in our workouts.  Some days are fast and short. Some days are long and slow.  That said, even for IM distance racers, our longest sets don't go over 600 yards or so.  The coach should mix up the workouts and not doing anything "usual."

Note: - I do masters 2X week and longer ow or pool swims once a week on my own.  No matter your primary distance, a nice set of 10 x 100 at a pace giving you 5 seconds of rest or so will help you.

Were you forced to do tons of breast stroke and butterfly when you obviously didnt want to? I think you see where I am getting at. Sell it to me please. Thanks a bunch.

Just remember, this isn't the high school swim team   You can't get demerits for not doing fly.  There are benefits to doing breast and fly, but I am not that good at them so if the set calls for IM (as in individual medley, not ironman), I just do freestyle.  No one cares.

Edited by ChrisM 2007-01-04 4:26 PM
2007-01-04 4:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-04 4:37 PM

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World

I can't say enough for how beneficial masters swimming is.

You will find yourself pulling in more yards you ever would have doing laps alone. Plus you will probably get really good advice on tecnique. Sprint workout's on hard intervals will make you appreciate swimming long distances so much more.

2007-01-04 5:45 PM
in reply to: #642662

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Joining a Masters swim program was one of the main things that brought my swimming up to the next level, and then some. I highly recommend it. I wouldn't assume that your Masters group is exactly like mine, but I would be surprised if you "had" to do anything. These swim programs tend to be pretty informal compared to swim team workouts. Most focus almost entirely on freestyle, group swimmers together according to ability and might even vary the workout according to ability. The one I'm in also breaks it up a little with a couple 100 IMs now and then, and if you can't do butterfly you can substitute any other stroke. We almost always start out with some number of repeat 50s, then 100s, but after that it could be anything. Maybe more 100s, maybe repeat 200s or 300s, sometimes even a 400 or two, or any combination. Before the big pier-to-pier open water 2 mile swim event out here each August, we tend to do 800 to 1,000 yard swims at a fast pace as the main part of the workout.

Anyway, doing an organized interval swim workout a couple times a week with others makes for a fun and invigorating time. I believe that it can't possibly do anything but help your triathlon swimming ability. Good luck with it.

2007-01-04 7:38 PM

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Masters groups are a lot of fun and no one will make you do anything. Most of the workouts i go to center around freestyle with the ocasional set of Stroke thrown in. Even then there are people who do free or just sit out. The difference between masters and swim team is that it's your workout and the coach is their to facilitate your goals, but ultimately you get decide what works for you.

2007-01-04 8:08 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

sauna66 - 2007-01-04 3:51 PM I am going for my first Masters swim club workout next Monday and am a little nervous about jumping back in the pool in an organized team setting. Can any of you tell me if joining the club was beneficial to their tri training. I mean, of course swimming lots is good for the swim portion (duh) but were you able to adapt the training to meet your needs as a triathlete?

Master's swim is definitely beneficial to tri training.  I schedule the rest of my tri training around master's swim.  It's not really difficult to schedule.  My master's group meets on Tues and Thurs nights.  It's well worth the effort.

Don't under estimate the benefit of all those 50s and 100s.  Swimming is all about technique and form.  It doesn't do you any good to swim a straight 1000m if after 200 m your form goes to crap.  Practicing bad form is the worst thing you can do.  Better to swim short swims with good form than practice bad form by playing wall tag.  A few long swims every now and then is OK, but endless sessions of wall tag is not good.  I promise, come race day you'll put together a 1500m swim (or what ever distance).  Also, let the coach know you are a triathlete.  A good coach will tailor the workout for you. 

Were you forced to do tons of breast stroke and butterfly when you obviously didnt want to? I think you see where I am getting at. Sell it to me please. Thanks a bunch.

Don't under estimate the benefit of practicing different strokes.  Swimming some of the other strokes improves your 'feel' for the water, works different muscle groups and improves endurance in the water.  Most of my master's swim is free style, but we do swim the other strokes also.

TJ 

Edited by zia_cyclist 2007-01-04 8:09 PM
2007-01-04 9:07 PM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
How can I find a masters swim class in my area? I am at a point now where I have nowhere to swim in the winter...

Thanks,
Kevin
2007-01-04 10:13 PM

Veteran
Montreal
Thanks a bunch for all the encouraging comments. I think I sort needed those to close the deal.

I swam competively for nearly 10 years so it's not as though I don't know my way around a pool but these last few years all my tri training (or at least 90% of it) has been solo. I enjoy running and biking alone but I think a group setting and some friendly competition will really help build back my swim form.

Thanks again, I'll post again in a week from now once I have completed a week's worth of workouts. My club meets 3x a week Mon/Wed/fri. I'll try to make it at least twice a week.

Steve
2007-01-05 8:45 AM

Master
brummie land
2007-01-08 7:46 PM

Veteran
Montreal
Update

Well I just came back from my first masters wrokout and I would love to say I enjoyed the experience but I can't. Here is the breakdown, please feel free to give me your opinions.

I am first to arrive at the pool.

I see a few people trickle in so I introduce myself to one lady and we talk a bit..ok fine

Then the coach comes in. He se's me, I see him. 3-4 minutes later I am the one that approaches him to break the ice

'Hi, my name is Steve and I am here to join the team'
'Hi'
dead air ensues
I have to get the ball rolling so I look at him like 'well this is my first time, I don't really know the structure or where to start'

'Have you swam before'

'Yeah I stopped about 10 years ago'

Dead air ensues

• ........ok fine lets see where this goes, first impression not too hot.

• The team gathers, he takes about 5 seconds to wecome the 2 new guys to the team, the team consists of about 15 people, none of them of whcih I know their names because the coach doesnt think it's worth taking 2 minutes to present the others to us.

'Ok so we'll start with 3 x 300....30 seconds rest'

The total workout that I see is 3500m. We have 90 minutes.

I jump in the pool and try my hardest to stay with the meduim speed group.

I listen to my body and take the rest I need. The coach offers no words of encourgement. He must think its totally normal to send a new guy off for a 3500m workout without know 1)does he have any medical conditions? 2) Is he coming off an injury? 3)Why is he here? WHat are his Goals? How can I help make his first experience a positive one?

After 1800m I notice I am starting to hurt, my shoulders (which at that point I had told him were the reason I stopped swimming in the first place) were starting to ache so after having pushed myself a little over my cutrren limits, I decide I have had enough for today, even though the wrkout was only half done. I get out of th epool and explain to him that I feel it would be irresponsible for me (hoping he would read that I am actually talking about his lack of responsibility) to keep going at this point.

We have alittle chat, he talks about his past and mentions something about having one coached Peter Reid in the swim (ok, maybe you were at the same pool as him) and he forcefully says it's wise of me to stop when I think I have had enough .'everyone has to start somewhere' he semi condescendingly says. I tell him that I lived through enough injuries due to overzealous coaches that at my age (26) I am old enough and mature enough to know when to stop (again hoping he understands that I found him super irresponsible) Obviously what I was trying to imply didnt sink in.

I tell him I will see him on Wednesday for the next workout. I honnestly don't know if I will be back.

Am I the only one that finds this totally irresponsible? He never even ensured I had paid for the insurances which will cover them for liability in the event I get injured or drown. For all he knows I could have a heart condition and have an attack right then and there.

I am thinking of going back, only because I know it might push me to swim more often than if I go out on my own. But as you can probably see by now, I am soooo disapointed that I don't know what I should do.

When I was swimming my last laps, all I was thinking about was writing a complaint about what I had gone through and how unwelcoming the whole process was to a newbie.

Please, give me some feedback fellow BTers. I am really down about the whole thing.

Steve

2007-01-08 7:57 PM

Hey Steve - bummer that the first experience was a bad one.  I have to admit, my "coach" doesn't do much coaching and doesn't do most of the things you mention, although he will work with people if he's asked.

Sounds like maybe he's not so good a coach?  If 1800 was enough for you (and trust me, that's a darn good workout for your first (?) time back), try the slow lane for a while.  I've been there.  Most of us have.

Sounds also like you have to be a bit more proactive about getting what you want, if you can. Tell him you're a triathlete, what you're training for, ask for pointers, etc. Give him a chance, if he doesn't improve, then maybe that particular group isn't good for you.  Maybe it's the kind of group that people sort of fold into over time and get used to.  IMHO, it's not his job to tell you when o stop, or to figure out how far/fast you can go.  That's up to you, and if there isn't a lane to accommodate that, then it's not the right group (unless you can convince them to change).

Honestly, I am thinking to times when newbies join our group.  Yes, it seems a bit more cordial than your group, but they still gotta get in there and swim the laps themselves

Like anything else - training partners, ri clubs, trainers - there will be ones that work for you and ones that don't.  I think you need to give it some more time, at least two weeks I'd say.  preferably a month if you can.  See what happens.

Don't give up on it quite yet.  Check in and let us know what happens.

2007-01-08 8:58 PM

Veteran
    Keep in mind that you're joining in January. Most Masters Swim clubs are in the beginning of comp season right now, and at the peak of their training. At least mine is.

If you're joining the class late, expect to be schooled. Stick with it, then continue with the Masters group early next season when the swims start up again and you will probably find that the classes start out easier, and then build up.

FWIW my Masters swim class is pretty laidback. I joined at the beginning, and even so no one really made a point of introducing. Most of the people inthe class are in it for the comps, not for training for tris or anything. They're generally pretty stuck up seeming, but then that's what I thought about other cyclists when I first started riding.

Then I just realized they're probably focused on their own training. It sounds like you're expecting your class to be centered around training for tris, when what you really have is a competitive swim group instead.

K.
    2007-01-08 9:15 PM

Veteran
    Montreal
    Thanks for the contrusctive comments. I will certainly take some time to settle down and look at this from another angle in the morning. I don't mind the team so much, I am sure the people are great. The coach is what I was mostly disapointed with.

Late in the season or early, I think it lacked a lot of class to not even take a minute to introduce the gang. (but I understand your point)

I manage a team of about 20 people, if I were to hire someone and not introduce the to him/her, that would be unnacceptable, I don't see how this is different.

But I digress, I will give it a few weeks, I will push hard and once I see some progress I won't care as much. Maybe I was just expecting something more. But I'd be surprised that anyone on here would have left that first workout with a positive vibe about the whole thing. To me that is a problem.

Thanks again everyone. I can always count on BT to give it to me straight.
    2007-01-09 1:07 AM

Veteran
    Redondo Beach, CA
    OK, so your coach is a zero. You're there for the workout, so take advantage of it. When you have had enough swimming, the workout is over for you even if it's not for the rest of the group. I don't think you need to explain yourself in any great detail. Just get out of the water and say, "That's all for me tonight, see you next time." Remember, it's your workout, not your coach's.

You were pretty unsure about going to this Master's club to begin with, so maybe you were in such anticipation of it being a bad experience that it became one. Next time just go with the goal of getting in a good swim, and maybe with a slower group this time.

No one introduces the new people in my Master's swim group, but I tend to introduce myself to the people around me once we're in the water. I also make an effort to say hi to people as we arrive at the pool. If you want to make this social, you also may need to take the initiative.

By the way, if your shoulders are hurting already, it's possible you may need to improve your stroke technique. It worked for me. My shoulder pain came back after being dormant for many years as I began swimming, and especially as I moved up to longer distances. After re-engineering my stroke with the help of the Total Immersion DVD, I was able to shift the emphasis off my shoulders and onto my lats and other, stronger back muscles. My shoulders rarely give me any trouble anymore. Maybe your coach can help you with this, but it looks like you're going to have to ask for his help. Maybe speak to him before your next practice gets under way. If he won't help you, or the help he gives you isn't sufficient, get the TI DVD and do it yourself.

Anyway, don't let a coach with an odd personality get in the way of your goal to improve your swimming. It might turn out that his coaching skills are far better than his people skills. If not, a good interval workout in a structured environment will improve your swim, and that's fine all by itself.
    2007-01-09 8:20 AM

Master
    Cambridge, MA

I'd like to offer more positive encouragement (like the guy above me), but honestly, I would go for 2 more workouts, and then call it quits if the coach remained that aloof.  What's the point?  Anyone can write out (or print out) a list of intervals and times to follow.  The coach should give you more than that and if he's not willing to do so, then you probably need to find another group, or structure your own swim program.

Masters swim clubs are not cheap; the coaching and ability to meet others at about your level or just above you are what you're paying for.  Don't stay with a bad fit for long.  And take care of your elbow by easing back in to swimming.  No 3500m days for you just yet...

2007-01-09 11:48 AM
    in reply to: #647077

Veteran
    Montreal
    sauna66 - 2007-01-08 8:46 PM

Update

Well I just came back from my first masters wrokout and I would love to say I enjoyed the experience but I can't. Here is the breakdown, please feel free to give me your opinions.
  • Steve

I've been thinking about simming with a masters swim club as well, but it seems like I might want to avoid the one that you're talking about (I'm also in Montreal). Would you mind saying what club it is?
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim clubs Rss Feed