General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach issues and exercise Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-06 10:34 PM

User image

Madison
Subject: Stomach issues and exercise
Hi All,

I'm back after a considerable break from my tri exercising. I started spinning classes ~3xs per week for the last month and have recently started adding running into my training. Unforunately, in the past week, I have been plagued with a lot of stomach issues, including indigestion, gas pains, burning in my stomach, high resting heart rate, sweats, etc. I let myself rest up for a few days (especially because I have been unable to eat or drink much), and saw the doctor. I was prescribed rinitidine and a proton pump inhibitor (both stomach acid reducers) and have started taking gas-x (lovely, I know). After another day off and some rehydration I started exercising again, but have found my stomach problems are causing me great distress when exercising -- so much so that I have had to cut my exercise short (especially when my HR monitor says my HR is way too high even at light to moderate exercise).

I know this is a tricky question, but I figured someone might have a good solution. Any ideas on how I can reduce the stomach pain and belching, so I can just get on with my exercise??

ANYTHING would be greatly appreciated!

~Kristin

2007-01-06 10:53 PM
in reply to: #645109

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: Stomach issues and exercise
I am no expert but are you eating gas producing vegtables?
2007-01-06 11:02 PM

User image

Madison
Right now I'm not eating a ton of anything, mostly bland stuff (soup, bananas, cooked veggies).

I did eat a snickers marathon bar today, because I was affraid of not getting enough calories, but that was quite a while before I exercised.

2007-01-07 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Probably not what you want to hear, but when I was having similar stomach troubles, I just couldn't exercise. I was taking twice as much Protonix as have to take now, and anything besides soda crackers was setting off my stomach. I was getting my gall bladder checked, small intestines scoped and looked at, etc. Anyway, exercise really just made everything a lot worse, and I just had to sit very still on the couch to keep the pain away. Hopefully your doctor can figure out the cause so you can fix it, and get back to your normal routine.
2007-01-08 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
I have stomach issues as well. Before I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (basically the stomach pushes up into the chest), there were times when I could not even sit upright at my desk without being in pain. I have prescription medication, but there are certain foods that I know trigger my problem. Red wine is a huge no-no for me. Some other trigger foods are tomatoes, caffeine, or chocolate. Other times it's lots of stress.

When I have a flare-up, I will take a shot of Pepto-Bismol along with my prescription medication before heading out for a run. That usually helps. But if I start to get the buring sensation in my throat I'll walk for a few minutes during my run. Maybe try the Bepto?

Good luck finding the source of your problem, as stomach/acid reflux problems can making training a bit tricky. Feel free to shoot me an email.
Abbie

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stomach issues and exercise Rss Feed