2007-01-28 9:00 PM
in reply to: #670742

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: RE: Krispy Kreme Challege

Note:  This didn't go through the first time.  Here's what I meant to say:

Here's my Krispy Kreme Challenge report:

We arrived in Raleigh Friday night.  About a 3 hour drive from our house outside of Columbia.  Very easy to get there for us:  I-20 to I-95 to I-40.  Our hotel was right off the interstate about 2.5 miles from the starting point.  My brother and sister-in-law had picked up my daughter and drove to Raleigh ahead of us.  They arrived and did the pre-race check-in at the Krispy Kreme downtown we were to run to.  They commented that it was the biggest KK they had ever seen.  We discussed race strategy and bunkered down for the night. 

Morning of the challenge was sunny, chilly, and windy, with temps around 35-40.  We drove to NCSU, found the parking garage nearest the Belltower, and walked about 5-10 minutes to the race site.  There were tons of mostly college-aged kids, the typical music playing from the loudspeakers, and lots of people wondering why they decided to do this.  We saw Elvis, Mr. Goodbody, Bart Simpson, some pirates, folks in no shirts with "Wolfpack" spray-painted on, etc.  I had my picture taken with Elvis, who turned out to be a BT'er!!  (More info later)  We lined up near the front of the pack, which all-totaled number 1380 idiots ... runners.  Some folks were obviously very serious about their donuts - you know, the super skinny, scantily dressed runners.  Not as many fat old guys wanting donuts as my brother-in-law and I figured there would be.

They start was late by almost 30 minutes, so the natives were a hair restless.  Alas, the signal was given, and away we went.  I had planned on going out in about 8:00 pace - quick but comfortable over 2 miles.  Well, the crowd took off, and I was right there with them.  It was absolute chaos, as the course was through a residential neighborhood next to the university before we hit downtown.  Folks were outside cheering us on, and about every 1/4 mile, somebody was there on the side of the road offering donuts.  In route to the KK, I ran across Elvis, and made some small talk.  He asked where I was from, and I told him South Carolina.  He asked if I was a triathlete, and when I said yes, he said he was ellasdad, the person whose post I read in the forums made me aware of the race!  I had even mailed him to thank him about his post and telling him I was going to do it.  What a small world ...  After we chatted a bit, I made it to the KK in 15:11, a hair ahead of schedule. 

Talk about chaos!  There were tons of folks everywhere, trying to grab a box of a dozen donuts to eat and then run back.  I got me a box, a cup of water, and sat down off to the side, basically in front of the KK.  I got to chewing through my first donut and had a moment of zen, in which a voice told me to "Kobayashi" -- dunk the donuts in water, a la the hot dog eating champion.  So, I would take a donut, fold it in half, dunk it in water, get it all goopy and soggy, then take lots and lots of little bits in order to get it down.  I tried my best not to even taste the dadgum things, just get them down!  It took me 16:38 to eat all 12 - way more than I thought it would.  I guess I'm not much for power eating ...

Well, after taking my box to the officials, proving I had eaten all 12, I had my race number marked off, proving I had completed the eating portion of the challenge.  Back to the run!  I took off, basically just keeping a steady pace, breathing through the mouth, not focusing on my swelling abdomen.  I passed probably 50 people on the way back, as lots of folks there were obviously not runners, but those folks who like a good challenge.  The course is mostly downhill to the KK, thus uphill back to the Belltower and the Start/Finish.  I tried to keep a steady pace and grind my way home.  I rounded the past few corners, noticed my time, and thought I had a chance of breaking 50:00.  I motored my way up the last hill, entered the challengers chute, and touched the Belltower, stopping the clock at 48:26, for a final 2 mile split of 16:40.  Not a great pace, but not bad considering I had just eaten 12 friggin' donuts.  I finished 189th, about 50 seconds in front of my brother-in-law.  The winner did the race in 24:32!!! How the heck?!

I never really felt like puking, although I did hit a gag reflex around donut 9 or 10.  And, I'm most proud to say - I kept all twelve donuts down!!!  Many were not so fortunate, as probably 1 out of every 4 decided to let the vomit comet fly after they finished.  In fact, I had to leave earlier than I would have liked because my 8 months pregnant wife was starting to get sick at all the people getting sick.  All in all, I loved the event, told pretty much everyone I could about it, recommend it to all, and am already looking forward to next year!!

P.S.  I took photos, but left my camera over at my parents last night.  I'll try and get the camera soon and upload the photos as soon as I can.

2007-01-28 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Yes, please post pictures. This sounds like the funniest race I have ever heard of.
2007-01-28 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
that is unbelievable, I have a hard time eating one!  I like them, they just don't like me!  Did they actually have age groups and top three winners in each?
2007-01-29 8:00 AM
in reply to: #670802

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

tritwinmom - 2007-01-28 10:23 PM that is unbelievable, I have a hard time eating one!  I like them, they just don't like me!  Did they actually have age groups and top three winners in each?

Well, technically it's not a race, just a challenge - so they don't have AG's, awards, etc.  They do post the results and list separately the top 10 times.  But I feel like a winner just for finishing the stupid thing.  And yes, the race is so silly, that you just have to do it.

2007-01-29 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
That's awesome!!  I'm so impressed that you were able to make it through without puking.  Great job!!

2007-01-29 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
This is hilarious, please post pics. You ran this fast, even after eating a dozen donuts? Nice job!
2007-01-29 11:01 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Ummm...congrats? 

Sounds like fun.  BTW, who the heck did that in 24:xx!?!  That's like 5:00 miles and inhaling a dozen donuts!  I hope he/she puked good.

2007-01-29 1:19 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

wow.  what's the shirt look like??

2007-01-29 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC

As promised, here are some photos from the race:

1) Me before the race, standing in front of the NCSU Belltower - mash here

2) Me and my daughter prior to the race - mash here

3) Me with Elvis!  (BT'er ellasdad) - mash here

4) Other participants running up to the Belltower - mash here

5) Me having completed the challenge, with my number marked off as successful - mash here

And here are two videos I took:

1) Pre-race festivities - mash here

2) Me running during the race - mash here

Enjoy!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Krispy Kreme Challege Rss Feed