Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True love, old love Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-29 1:58 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: True love, old love
The thread about finding true love has stuck with me, and I have been thinking about it from time to time while running, or cleaning the kitchen, or just when I have time to muse. First, let me give some personal history. I'm 55 years old, as is my wife. We met at freshman orientation week at Macalester College in Minnesota. We were both 17. We started dating right away, and I knew pretty quickly we would marry, which we did just before our senior year. We were 20 years old. We finished at Macalester and went on for law school (me) and grad school (her). We have now been married 34 years, and I still get the urge to ask her to marry me. I mean that if we were just starting out, I would marry her tomorrow. One of the things I have learned, and that you can only discover with the passage of time in a relationship, is that new ways to love someone open up. For example, we had been married 14 years before our first child was born. After the birth, I realized I now loved my wife in a totally new way. Not that the old way was gone, or changed, but that I now had an additional way to love her...as the mother of my child, my partner in parenting. I still loved her the way I always had, but a new dimension was added. ( I was first attracted to my wife because she was SO smart, and so good-looking. I don't get tired of talking with her, or looking at her.) Something that people overlook, sometimes, when breaking up, is the value of shared memories. By now, my wife and I have a whole little private shorthand language, based on common memorable experiences. My respect for her has increased over the years, too. If I start to feel exasperated about something she is doing, I can remember the really trying times, when she has always been totally reliable, and has always acted based on sound ethical principles. Her integrity and honesty is something that I know I can count on, no matter what, and is something I was too young and dumb to think that much about at 20. ( Heck, what first caught my eye was that her hair was a foot longer than her skirt, I don't mean past her skirt, just longer if you measured both, which I did onetime!)
How do you find this? Mostly luck and the blessing of God, I think. I can't really say I was perceptive enough at 17 to even know what to look for. As I said, I looked for attractiveness and intelligence, but got so much more, and so much more that is so much more important. A person can be smart and good-looking and be a disaster, but I can truthfully say that living with her has made me a better person, and makes me want to be better than I am.
As for the feeling of "true love", or finding "the one".... Well, I don't believe there is one magic person who brings happiness, even though I also admit it feels like it. Part of it is commitment, and tenacity, and treating each other decently when it is hard. Back in the 1960's there was a high jumper named Dave Fosberry. Before this, high jumpers ran up to the bar and jumped over face down, with their backs to the sky. Fosberry started breaking records all over the place using what came to be known as the Fosberry Flop. He would run up to the bar, pivot in the air, and go over face up, with his chest arched toward the sky. Everyone started doing it this way, and going higher. When asked about his new technique, Fosberry said " I just throw my heart over the bar, and the rest of me has to follow." When I met my wife, I threw my heart over the bar. The rest of me had to follow.

Edited by HankJKy 2007-01-29 2:00 PM

2007-01-29 2:10 PM
in reply to: #671634

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: True love, old love
That's beautiful, Hank!  Thanks for sharing it.
2007-01-29 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks for sharing that!How beautiful! And you are blessed by not so much by what you have,but by realizing the bounty your life holds.

2007-01-29 2:17 PM

User image

Buttercup
That is a beautiful testament both to your wife and yourself. I read this recently and it has stuck with me (I hope I remember it when it becomes less-hypothetical for me): If you are determined to make it work, you can find anyone lovable, sexy, and irresistible, no matter what anyone else (including me) says.
2007-01-29 2:46 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Good on you, Hank.  I recently shared my story of meeting my wife and how we fell in love.  It was with some fellow BT'ers we got together with.  I was ridiculed for it.  Mercilessly.  I cried myself to sleep that night.  I'm still not over it.

Just kidding, any kidding around I got was well earned for other reasons.  It is a really corny story, but it is absolutely true and because it is true, and I know* down to the core of my soul we are meant for each other, I don't care how corny it sounds.

*know:  as in the philosophical sense in which you cannot "know" something unless it is true.  Much stronger than the casual everyday use of "I know".

2007-01-29 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
That is so sweet!  I hope you show this to her too.  I also met my husband my freshman year of college.  This month marks the 16th anniversary of our first date.  I hope we still feel like you do after 34 years.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True love, old love Rss Feed