General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever torn a medial meniscus? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-29 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana
Subject: Anyone ever torn a medial meniscus?

Saw an orthopedic today...what I have thought was tendonitis since about May is possibly a torn meniscus. I have an MRI on Wednesday. I was told if its small we can maybe do a cortizone shot and see if it will heal. Otherwise, it may need surgery.

Anyone familiar with this? Done it? What kind of recovery would I be looking at, etc.?

Thanks!

2007-01-30 9:38 AM
in reply to: #672076

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: Anyone ever torn a medial meniscus?
I have two local triathletes here that have had the same issue - one just had his surgery about 6 weeks ago.....the other is about to go into surgery. Both their doctors have said recovery time is 6 weeks. The guy who has already had his surgery is doing well. He has been swimming and is going back in and probably getting the okay to start doing more. His recovery has gone really well - I was talking to him last night and he said the hardest part is just waiting out the 6 weeks to start doing some other stuff.
2007-01-30 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

I had a small tear in the meniscus.  So small it was called a "hang nail"  I also thought I had tendonitis and did a month of PT before the MRI revealed the hang nail.  I had the arthroscopic surgery to clip it on Dec. 21st (almost 6 weeks ago).  You can see my logs, but basically, the recovery time isn't that bad.  I was biking (slowly) after about 6-7 days.  You can walk the same day as the surgery (w/ limp).  PT 2-3X a week.  I started run/walking around week 4 or just after.

The key is not to push the recovery, and do the PT.  I would do the PT before the surgery if you elect to have the it.  Basically stretching and squats, leg presses, leg lifts, and others.  You can find them on the internet.

Good luck.

2007-01-30 2:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
willow - 2007-01-29 7:08 PM

Saw an orthopedic today...what I have thought was tendonitis since about May is possibly a torn meniscus. I have an MRI on Wednesday. I was told if its small we can maybe do a cortizone shot and see if it will heal. Otherwise, it may need surgery.

Anyone familiar with this? Done it? What kind of recovery would I be looking at, etc.?

Thanks!

The recovery is pretty straightforward. You should be weight-bearing with crutches pretty quickly if you have surgery. I've had significant tears of both the medial and the lateral meniscus in the same knee. Just be sure to follow the PT instructions and be careful with it when you return to training.

2007-01-30 3:54 PM
in reply to: #673045

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Bill - 2007-01-30 3:14 PM
willow - 2007-01-29 7:08 PM

Thanks!

The recovery is pretty straightforward. You should be weight-bearing with crutches pretty quickly if you have surgery. I've had significant tears of both the medial and the lateral meniscus in the same knee. Just be sure to follow the PT instructions and be careful with it when you return to training.

What Bill said..."follow PT instructions"...and don't push too hard too soon.

I tore my ACL and medial/lateral meniscus playing soccer.  Had the ACL repaired, the medial was stitched up, and the lateral was trimmed.

If I had to do it again, I'd have asked them to trim the medial; as it stood, due to stitching, I had to be non-weight bearing (aka crutches) for 4 weeks.  Basic rehab started the day after my surgery and progressed from there.  Unfortunately, I pushed too hard too early and had to back off due to the dreaded pain on the kneecap that sometimes occurs when going through knee rehab motions (esp leg extensions).  As a result my right quad shrunk quite a bit and this threw me off-kilter from a physiological standpoint.

This said, my injury was pretty severe.  If you're dealing with basic meniscus repair, it's usually done via arthoscope and you should be on the mend very quickly.

Good luck!

2007-01-31 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

Thanks everyone. MRI is today. It sounds like the main difference in recovery is the full meniscus repair vs just the torn part being cut off.

Thanks for the great info so far. Depending on what I find out, I may be emailing some of you

2007-02-03 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

MRI results are not pretty. Large tear in the medial meniscus with damage to the femur head.

See the docs again this week. Will have meniscus repair and holes drilled in the femur head to help the bone rejuventate.

any more insight to this?

Thanks for all the info so far.

2007-02-03 7:51 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
YIKEs so sorry to hear about your knee!!! The meniscus tear if it is fixable it is better for the long term health of your knee to fix it.  Its more of a PITA short term but there it is.  The problem in you distal femur...I'm sorry to say...its not a good problem to have.  The  "drilling the holes"  is called a microfracture.  The idea is to allow a blood clot to form over the damaged area so that it will heal in with scar cartilage.  you MUST MUST MUST stay NON WEIGHTBEARING for 6 weeks after this procedure.  If you walk on it too soon you will knock off the blood clot and it will fail.  On the upside it has about a 75% success rate.  There is another procedure call Autologus chondrocyte implantation which is excellent.  Has about a 93-95% succes rate for lesions on the medial femoral condyle but they must be at least 2cm in size.  That is a staged procedure....PM me if you want more info.....There are other procedures as well. 
2007-02-04 9:19 PM
in reply to: #678398

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

second what sue's saying from personal experience.  My hubby had the total ACL reconstruction along with the microfracture thing and the dr told him to walk whenever he felt like it after surgery- BIG MISTAKE- and ruined everything.  So we went to another doc (hey there!) and she fixed him right up with the ACI, he absolutely HATED the 8 weeks on crutches and the passive motion thingie afterwards but he's running a little right now finally and not in a lot of pain that he was before.  Short term pain for long term gains.

check out my album for his surgery pics the one titled "knee" I think..... 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=3023&photoid=17464

2007-02-04 11:03 PM

User image

Elite
A couple years ago (2002) I was your stereotypically overweight (bmi of about 26) weekend warrior who decided to start training for a marathon the wrong way. On my 3rd day of running in a row, in heavy June heat, I felt some pain in my left knee. That weekend I went golfing with my friends and noticed difficulty squatting down to look at the lines of my putts. When I tried running again, I could make it about 100 feet, and pain on the medial side of my left knee made me stop. It was pain I could NOT run through. Long story short, I waited it out, trying to run oh about every 2 or 3 weeks, with the same damn pain.

MRI showed a small tear in the medial meniscus. By Spring of '03, I was having the knee "lock up" on me occasionally which hurt like hell. I got an injection which didn't help me out unfortunately. I did follow the doctor's advice to the letter. No luck. He suggested some orthopedic docs, but I decided since I wasn't hurting doing my job and engaging in leisure activities like golfing (without crouching mind you) I'd avoid the surgeons.

I kept up with proper stretching, stayed away from running, enjoyed the elliptical trainer at the gym, got into a little weight lifting without squats, and by mid-2005 I had given my body sufficient time to heal itself.

Willow, it all depends on your particular injury and what kind of time frame you can work in. Some meniscal injuries can heal on their own in time...some can't. Don't try to push through it. "No pain no gain" might be a great mantra for masochists working in the adult film industry and suicide bombers alike, but it's a recipe for disaster with athletes. Talk with your docs and enjoy the things you can do pain-free. Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever torn a medial meniscus? Rss Feed