General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to this in snowy NE Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-29 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New to this in snowy NE
Hey everyone. I have just signed up for a sprint in the frigid finger lakes in June. It seems like a lot of people that do these races are in warmer climates where they can train outdoors year round. I am hoping to maybe meet some people that have experience with the cold weather stuff. I am pretty out of shape and starting from scratch, but looking forward to losing a couple pounds and trying not to finish last in my race!

2007-01-29 9:01 PM
in reply to: #672185

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: New to this in snowy NE
Hey Kirk,

Welcome to BT. You are sure to find lots of NE'ders who will be doing the same races as you and are able to train year round. BT is a great site, lots of training plans and helpful people to get you through your first race, after which, of course, you will be addicted like the rest of us. Glad to have you "on-board". Enjoy the training and the races!
2007-01-29 9:44 PM
in reply to: #672197

User image

Expert
Thanks Mark. I am realy looking forward to it. I hope to hear from some people that enjoy the experience as much at "back of the pack" as those in the front. I am pretty sure that is where I will be for a while..
2007-01-30 10:07 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Welcome to BT!!!

I was in your spot 6 months ago (out of shape and starting from scratch) and am now 5.5 weeks away from my first Triathlon!  (a sprint, too) I started with the "couch to 5k" program here and am now in the middle of the 12 week HR based Sprint plan.  I've dropped 15 lbs, raced in 4 5k's and already feel ready for my first Tri.

Use the logs here - they are great for tracking your progress and letting others help encourage you and follow your progress.  Just start slow and build up with a plan.  You have plenty of time for your tri.

As for outdoors down south?  I'm in Charlotte and I do about half of my bike/run indoors now since I need to train in the mornings before work and its too dark (and cold).  However my wife does most of her training indoors since she has to use the Y or our treadmill/trainer at home with the kids (stay at home mom).  She gets in some great workouts so don't worry about performance.  However, she does feel a difference when she gets outdoors, so make sure you get out when you can to get used to the road, etc.  If your race is in June you'll be doing lots of base building so its all about building up that endurance.  You can do that on a treadmill/trainer with no problem.

2007-02-05 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Any body out there in or near Rochester, NY that can sympathize with these sub zero temps ?????
2007-02-06 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome to BT! I am in sunny (tornado alley) Florida so I can't help with the cold climate stuff.

I can honestly say that having a bike trainer is a WONDERFUL thing. When you can't get outside (for any reason) it is a great workout. Yes, a bit boring but it gets the job done. You can buy them online for pretty cheap - it was one of the best purchases I have made so far.

Don't worry about being last. I was worried about that too but there is a slim-to-none chance that you will actually be the LAST person to finish the race. Keep training and keep trying to meet some folks in colder climates for more motivation. Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to this in snowy NE Rss Feed