3 disciplines
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 39m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well...woke at 5:30, at race about 6:30...fog on lake...and very cold...general feeling around race site that there was going to be trouble
Event warmup:

stretch
Swim
  • 37m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Need WAY more open water swimming to tackle that distance...have a sprint in OW in two weeks, hopefully that erases some of the bad taste in my mouth, but definitely need to work on this in the coming year.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No problems here...other than wind being completely out of my sails...
Bike
  • 1h 54m
  • 32 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike...not great...not terrible...averaged about 26k/h...just...average
What would you do differently?:

think I am leaning to far down for aero bars, may want to look at different headset...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Average...get off bike, take a gel...go through chute
Run
  • 1h 37m
  • 10 kms
  • 09m 42s  min/km
Comments:

Terrible run...almost twice my usual 10k time...
What would you do differently?:

lots!!!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know if I wasn't trained, or if my failure in the swim subconsciously beat me up...or if heat got me...just a terrible race day...lot of lessons learned, however, (pool success is not open water success)...need to practice open water swimming (my own fault)...very disappointing

Event comments:

The weather was a shame...nothing the RD could do about it, but a whole lot of money/effort went into a race that I could have done at home (sprint race in my hometown same day @ 1/5th the price, and my own bed)...again, nothing they could do about it, so won't take it out on them...ample aid stations and everything else, so race was run effectively. Really taking this hard...good thing this is not my last race this year, or it would be a terrible winter...

Last updated: 2004-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Triangular course...didn't start until 10:00, had been waiting since 6:30 to race, finally started and got kicked in face early...already dislike OW swimming, got thrown off swim, panicked. About 200 m later, didn't want to get into dangerous position, swam back to start...and asked to switch to DU...they had started about 11 min. earlier..didn't care...very disappointed in myself
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:54:00 | 32 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Hilly course...kind of wierd between Olympic and 1/2 ironman distance...by this time it is getting hot...difficult to take in enough liquid
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:37:00 | 10 kms | 09m 42s  min/km
Performance: Bad
Course: Park road, with some gravel road, and some trails mixed in...really hot now. Legs twitching uncontrollably (dehydrated?)...just want to finish and get this day behind me...
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-08-17 11:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
Subject: Lansing Legislator

2004-08-17 2:48 PM
in reply to: #49137

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: Lansing Legislator
I sympathize...a real bummer.

Learn from this experience and move on.

Was the lake calm? Where did you position yourself at the start of the swim? I'm not big on needing open water practice...I don't see a huge difference between swimming in the pool and lake. But, y'know, I'm a swimmer. I'm just hypothesizing, but I'd think if you build up your endurance a bit more in the pool you'd be OK.

I think the heat probably got to you, too. That late start was a killer. Geezes. That's a long time of doing "nothing." Good job in persevering...not sure if I could've handled a 2+ hour delay while maintaining the right mind frame.

lookin' forward to Detroit.
2004-08-17 10:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
What a disappointment for you! You were definitely handicapped with the late start, but give yourself credit to recognize that the swim wasn't going to happen for you and doing a du. I probably would have just walked away, but you didn't.

I had to practice a lot for my first OW swim as I found it very different than the pool (not the swimming, the sight picture and the jostling) so now you know what to do next time to minimize the mixing bowl aspect at your next race. Do you have another tri planned soon? I hope so. Just don't give up.
2004-08-18 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
I agree, Greg, that the actual 'swim' isn't any different ( and I have been swimming up to 2400m continuous in pool for about 4 months), but the little things that you don't get to practice (sighting, not seeing bottom, etc. ) got me...no wetsuit either...maybe confidence beater in itself...you are probably right though...the stronger swimmer I become, the more confidence I have to beat the little things...maybe join a masters this winter...and buy a wetsuit!
thanks

d
2004-08-21 1:42 PM

New user
Toronto
Tought outing Darryl but you definitely have to give yourself the credit for finishing on the du. Without a doubt the swim leg gets to all of us as the number one challenge made moreso by the open water and the crowd of people neither of which you can really practice in a pool (although I have swam with three of us in a lane to try and replicate the crowding). From my perspective the wetsuit is a great addition particularly at the longer distance since it eases the mind for a tough swim. Whether you rent or buy, I think it is a great idea for the open water.

Great job on toughing it out and good luck on delivering an inspired performance in your next outing!!

qb
2004-08-22 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Sorry Daryl on my delay in getting my congrats out to ya!   Way to hang in there and  START (usually not a difficult thing to do, but in this case I applaud you)  let alone finish the race.  Guess I'm really glad I decided to pass on this race.  

Good luck at DWD, and we'll probably be talking more.

Gary

2004-08-23 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
thanks gary...rough day...have had a week to reflect on it now, and probably go down as a good lesson...have a sprint this weekend, then DWD, and the Detroit Marathon, then start looking at schedule for next year...have some great focus items for this winter...so I should be busy...talk to you soon...I'll make sure to get some pic's from DWD...what do you have left this season??
2004-08-23 3:07 PM
in reply to: #51925

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Where do you want to race next year? Are we going to see you at Steelhead? I tell you, every time I think about Steelhead I think about those damn bridges on the run and how they kicked my ass. I'd love to return the favor next year.

I think it would be great if we got a bunch of local BT'ers together for a sprint tri somewhere in Michigan. I'm thinking we'd place pretty well at that distance - especially Gary - given his crazy notion of doing an Ironman ;-). With the shape he'll be in by next Spring, he should be a lock for a trophy!

2004-08-23 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario
I am with you...we should all get together next spring...as for 1/2 IM distance...I will either do the steelhead, or the Subaru in peterborough...depends how much open water training I get next spring (p'boro is July 11)...wife is due end of december, so that may cramp my training a little bit, but I will deal with that if necessary...there are a lot of cooltri events early in the season, that would be a nice kickoff to the year...
2004-08-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #51958

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Hey, you finished the race! And in my book 9 minute-ish miles are great! The swimming comes with experience in open water and just flat out experience with swimming... You have to stick your head up and out of the water from time to time to figure out where you are headed, and even then, it's not always effective. (I'm a swimmer also...)
I know it probably felt like a bust to you, but I guess we all need bad races to learn... I've had some too... And I guess, in reality, the only BAD race is the race you blow off entirely! If you're out there doing it, you can't control what nature does to conspire against you...
You'll get 'em next time, and you lived to race another day!
LW
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lansing Legislator Rss Feed