General Discussion Triathlon Talk » age group, clydesdale or beginner for 1st tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-18 3:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Subject: age group, clydesdale or beginner for 1st tri?
Just thought I would ask everyone which division you would recommend for me to sign up in for my first triathlon in sept. they have my age group, a clydesdale division and a beginner division. I've looked at last year's times in each and as far as my time, i don't think it would make that big a difference. there are some really fast clydes and beginners out there! any advantages for a beginner to any particular division? grouping in transition areas beneficial to a beginner?

Going to sign up for Old Hickory Lake TRI in Hendersonville, TN (Sept. 18)

thanks

2004-08-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #50035

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: age group, clydesdale or beginner for 1st tri?
Clydes/Athenas are *not* slow by any means. Usually age groupers are pretty competitive. You can be a beginner only in your first season i think, so you're most likely to be competing against others who haven't done many tris.

Pick whichever one you feel best fits you, and just go have fun!

-Chris
2004-08-18 4:32 PM

User image

Elite
San Diego
IMHO, I would find out where the different age groups start in the swim waves. If you think you might be the last person on the course, then I would start as early as possible. Also, try and find out where each age group will have their bikes racked. I would go with the AG that is closest to the bike out.
In my last race I raced as a Clyde for the first time. It was a smaller group than the male 35-39 that I usually race in. We started last for the men. At first I didn't like the fact that all my friends were already racing and I was still on shore, but once I was on the bike I realized all the men behind me, were behind me. I know that sounds weird but I knew they were my competition and not just the fast guys from the waves behind me. That really got me racing instead of just participating like I usually do.
Find out also what is the advantage of racing as a beginner, I have never heard of that division, maybe you get some sort of advantage for that, who knows
Hope that helped
2004-08-18 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greer, South Carolina
I have always raced as a clyde because it tends to be a smaller wave. This makes it easier fro me on the swim not to have to fight with a large group. I wouldn't race as a beginner simply because in the races I have done they were usually the last wave to start, which meant that unless you were fast, you would be one of the last people on the course. Just find a comfortable place for you and enjoy the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » age group, clydesdale or beginner for 1st tri? Rss Feed