General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Daily menu... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-19 11:52 AM

Pro
Andover
Subject: Daily menu...
What does your menu for a typical day look like?
How about a race day?

I'm going to start adding carbs back into my diet (have been on South Beach) and want to get an idea healthy foods of what others eating.

Thanks for any replies.

Rob

2004-08-19 12:07 PM
in reply to: #50325

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: RE: Daily menu...
Rob,

I do "modified" weight watchers cuz u can eat everything in moderation (cept fried foods bascially):

bfast - yogurt and banana or cereal and banana - just started KASHI Go Lean and Two Friends for "health cereals" they taste great

snack - WW 2 point bar or handful of almonds or fruit

lunch - grilled chicken salad - i mix up the veggies and I use small amounts of regular dressing - most days i allow myself the free piece of bread or a wrap usually turkey

snack - more alomonds or fruit

dinner - lean meat and veggies, or another salad.

I drink at least 8 galsses of water a day.

lost 30 lbs and have kept it off by doing this, of course if I did it on weeknds I'd have lost 45 lbs!

on a race day I would have a larger bowl of cereal and a fruit and nut Trail Mix bar right b4 the race.
Good luck, Mark

Edited by rollinbones 2004-08-19 12:09 PM
2004-08-19 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Here's what I eat pretty much every day.

Pre work out meal (I work out every day m-f)at 6am - Granola or cliff bar.
Breakfast - Oatmeal -tbls honey and 3 hard boiled eggs no yokes.
snack - apple w/peanut butter
lunch - salad w/chicken and veggies. light blasamic dressing
snack - fruit
dinner - chicken marinated in something and veggies/sometimes it's scrambled eggs and wheat toast with jam.

I add a GU gel in when I run or bike either in the morning or after work.

Race days - which so far have just been 10K runs, but that will change soon. Have been Oatmeal 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours before race. Granola bar and hour later, and then a GU gel before race time.

8-10 glasses of water, usually one diluted 50/50 gatorade after my workouts.

It's not very exciting, but it's worked for me..

Edited by LynnieB 2004-08-19 12:11 PM
2004-08-19 1:22 PM

New user
I eat carbs but try to keep them to a moderate level and my menu is something like this...

Breakfast w.wheat english muffin, natural pb and low sugar jam, coffee
Snack-shake with plain l.f yogurt, fruit and protein powder (no protein if it's a rest day)
Lunch-turkey or tuna sandwhich, w.wheat bread, pita or wrap, veggies, V8 and one fruit
Snack-nut/fruit mix or luna bar
Dinner-chicken, salmon or non-meat "meat", veggies and potato or pasta(spelt,rice,kamut etc.) or brown rice

Other than that lots of H20!

Kirsten

2004-08-19 2:05 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia
Breakfast: 24 frosted shredded wheat biscuits in milk. Coffee w/equal, milk and 1 packet of gelatin (for my joints)

Snack 1: string cheese or nectarine

Lunch: cucumber and turkey on whole grain bread (w/maybe one extra bread slice) and an apple

Snack 2: 1 small cup of lite yogurt

Dinner: meat, starch and green vegetable.

Dessert: 1 or 2 sugar free popsicles and a beer

LOTS OF WATER

Pre race dinner: 1 baked potato (or oven fries equivalent), 2 corn muffins w/ strawberry jam, 1 glass milk, 1/2 cp low fat frozen yogurt

Pre race breakfast: 1 bagel w/jam 2-3 hours before and gatorade. A cliff bar an hour before.

Edited by Whit 2004-08-19 2:07 PM
2004-08-19 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
My diet isn't really one to emulate, but here goes:

Breakfast:
On work days I have a Starbuck's Maple Oat Nut scone and a large tea with three bags of sugar.
On school days I have toast and jam or cereal, with milk.
On weekends, I have whatever my BF makes for me -- could be pancakes, waffles, or an omlette.

Morning snack:
I've cut these out, but sometimes I'll have an apple.

Lunch:
On work days I have either a bean, rice and cheese burrito, or two carnitas tacos, plus a "mexican" coke and chips and salsa.
On school days I have some kind of left over, or a bowl of soup with beans added (for carbs and staying power).

Afternoon snack:
On work days I have a chocolate chip cookie (large kind).
On school days I have something from the pantry, usually a Clif Bar or Fig Newtons or maybe corn chips.

Dinner:
Some kind of meat thing with a pasta or rice thing on the side.
Sometimes we just have pasta with a red or pesto sauce, but usually before races or hard workout days.

Sung to the tune of Oscar the Grouch's "I Love Trash": Carbs carbs carbs. I love carbs! They're sweet and they're yummy. So good for my tummy! I love carbs!"

2004-08-19 2:49 PM

New user

College Station, TX
Breakfast: 2 pop tarts

Morning Snack: bag of goldfish

Lunch: 2 X Whatever my school cafeteria is serving (I'm a sucker for school food)

Afternoon Snack: apple or banana with gatorade during break while my students are filtering in

Afternoon Snack #2: Chips and salsa (fried and full of fat, not the olean, diarrhea causing stuff)

Dinner: chicken breast with a boil-in bag of brown rice (lots of soy sauce and tabasco)

Toss in at least one buffet per week

Eat like this and you'll be the lean, mean, fighting machine that I am.

2004-08-19 3:13 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
6:00am: cereal with fruit (berries or raisins), skim milk, sometimes a yogurt
9:00am: fruit grain or cereal bar
11:00am: banana, fruit grain bar, turkey & swiss on whole wheat with raw spinach leaves (MUCH better than lettuce) and/or a PBJ (depends on my workout later)
1:30pm: apple (an apple a day...)
3:00-3:15: fruit grain bar (last carbs before workout)
3:30-5:30: bike home or to gym, change and workout!
5:45-6:00: chicken or tuna (or BOCA burger!), potato/rice/pasta, yogurt/applesauce/pudding for dessert

I hate cooking for one, but if I bake chicken, I'll cover it in cream of mushroom soup or something like that. If I'm grilling, I'll grill an ear of corn.. Veggies in the pasta or rice sometimes (some oregano and parmesan in the rice is good!)
2004-08-19 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Not that my diet is the best but I try to keep it healthy...

Breakfast -
Quaker Oats Oatmeal Bar - Cinnamon Raisin
Yogurt

Snack - Pretzels, Popcorn, Snach mix (Almonds, raisins, and maybe a few M&M's)

Lunch - Ham and cheese sandwhich, chips and salsa, fruit of some kind
Or salad with chicken, carrots, and cherry tomatoes and light basalmic vinagette, maybe a roll of some kind,
Or a Lean Cusine for when I am really in a hurry in the morning

Dinner (this is usually pretty open) - Pasta and sauce with salad or salmon, rice and a veggie, if I have a craving for pizza I take a pita and some of the squeezable pizza sauce, artichoke hearts and low fat mozzarella.

If I am going to eat before a workout it has to be atleast an hour and a half before. Usually a banana or piece of fruit, maybe a bagel with cream cheese.
2004-08-19 7:54 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Today was pretty typical.

Breakfast: muffin and coffee (Actually, that muffin is atypical. Usually, I have high-fiber cereal, but I had a breakfast meeting this morning.)

Mid-morning snack: fruit smoothie. Today's vesion was 6 slices of pineapple, some pineapple juice, and about a cup of mixed frozen berries. Add a few ice cubes, blenderize, and you're good to go.

Lunch: broiled chicken breast, a few tortilla chips, iced tea

Dinner: vegetarian spaghetti sauce over couscous, and a big slice of watermelon. a glass of white wine. I'm done for the day.

Andrea

Edited by Andrea 2004-08-19 7:55 PM
2004-08-19 9:19 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
I've been eating way too damn much...

But typical looks like:

BF: banana sliced up w/granola and yogurt OR
egg white, slice ham and lf swiss on whole grain bagel
coffee

Lunch: Turkey and lf cheese on whole wheat toast, or tuna w/lf mayo on same, piece of fruit

Snack: (depending on what I had for bf, I don't eat more than 1 banana/day)
smoothie w/ banana, yogurt, protein powder OR
whole wheat pretzels and pb

Dinner: fish or chicken (normally don't eat much red meat)
potato or brown rice
HUGE salad w/lf dressing (with the works, croutons and avocado or olives)
veggie
LF ice cream for dessert

Sometimes red wine, if I'm not getting up early

2004-08-19 10:56 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

My diet isn't the best. And I'm so glad I saw Madkat's. Now I don't feel so guilty.

5 a.m.-5:30 Breakfast: fruit - kiwi/plum/cantaloupe and Gatorade (workout)

on weekends 6-eggwhite omlettes with red pepper, onions and mushrooms. The secret: tarragon

10:00 a.m. Snack at work - fruit/orange juice/ water

Noon - Lunch: grill chicken, soup/salad, no bread. The salad is full - red pepper, onions, boiled egg whites, mushrooms, usually only a table spoon of dressing (Can't give up Dorthy Lynch). One trick - get a low-fat foot long from Subway, ask for spinach instead of lettuce, get all the veggie toppings and ditch the bread. Very filling.

Snack at work (3:00, like clockwork) Baked Lays, raisins, peanut butter and crackers (the occasional skittles)

5:30-7:30 work out

8:00 dinner lean meats and veggies. Mostly stir fry.

10:00 before the bed snack - raisins, peanuts.

2004-08-19 10:57 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Ok on weekends I do not have SIX OMLETTES. I have on omlette with six egg whites.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Daily menu... Rss Feed