General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My best just isn't good enough? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-02-20 5:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: My best just isn't good enough?
We did a swim time trial last week and although I shaved a couple of solid minutes off my race pace from last summer (33 to 30:30), I always feel like I just didn't try hard enough. There are probably at least 10 swimmers who have completely blown past me and moved into the "deep end" since I started in the fall. These people were totally non swimmers in the falll and now they are doing their 1500s in 26minutes and under. I was never a pro swimmer, but I was a lifeguard and I certainly am exceedingly comfortable in the water.

I am somewhat sucked in by negative thinking, and I never joined the sport of Triathlon to win anything... but what is wrong with me? Am I not a natural athlete... am I not trying hard enough?

I go through my races cheering on the people passing me... and then hindsight leaves me wondering why I seem so completely mediocre. I am a total BOPer and to be honest, I think the Club coach completely zones past me now when he realized no matter how hard I try I will never be one of his elite athletes.

Maybe it's PMS, but is my best just not good enough? I usually lecture others about negative self talk, but here I am doing it to myself. I used to do tris with the mantra "Upright and Smiling".... but boy oh boy, is that mamby pamby!!

Running has always been a challenge for me, my times are not any faster than before. In fact, I think I am getting slower (and sorer).

Every once in a while, I just get a little bummed about my training... I enjoy the process and I love motivating others... I just can't seem to motivate myself very well.

Incidentally, my non swimmer husband is almost caught up to me after three months of TI lessons in terms of swim speed. Talk about natural athlete...

Ok, this may be a pity post... but I am bummed. I either need some inspires... or a kick in the a$$... or any other suggestions.

2007-02-20 5:38 PM
in reply to: #697388

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: My best just isn't good enough?
okay, i know i keep bring up this book, but here i go again.

'mental trainin' by taylor

it is an amazing book. it has helped me start to unravel some of the fears, thoughts, expectations, and beliefs that hold me back...or cause me to only see the negative. its not enough to say 'smile and swim/bike/run!'...you need to look at the junk that is weighing you down. in my experience, some is specific to sport, but some is baggage that applies to my whole life (like body image issues , vanity, etc.). anyway, i would highly recommend this book to you.
2007-02-20 6:07 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Speaking for myself; I am not one of those "Couch to Podium" types who just fall into a sport and immediately rise to the top of the performance curve.

Rather, I have to embrace my lack of natural ability and focus on hard work and dedication to offer up performance improvements. Nothing is ever going to change my genetics, but I can certainly work hard to do a great deal with what I do have. (And work hard I must)

For me, the journey is the thing. (I know that just sounds like corny cliche) But really.

There is nothing more satisfying than to cross the finish line and look at the clock and know that you just ran your fastest. (Mile, 5k, 10k, Marathon, Sprint, Olympic, HIM etc.)

That being said, competition is but a very small portion of the number of miles and hours that we put in day in, day out, week in week out, year in, year out.

We are bound to have ups and downs in our training (and Racing for that matter) and the key is "To not Let a few bad miles detract from the awesome achievement it took to get to that point". (To Quote a friend of mine who finally qualified for Boston after running 42 marathons at the age of 62)

Hang in there, it will get better
2007-02-20 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Muncie, IN
Keep at it!!! Let me just say that I'm a strong runner and not too bad on the bike. Swimming...well that's another story. I went from being able to only sidestroke 5 months ago to swimming 1000 to 1600 yard workouts. Now, I'm still very slow...yesterday I did a workout of 1600 yards total(not nonstop) and my total time was 34 minutes. Just keep at it! I was so bad at swimming that I almost gave up the idea of doing triathlons...but something deep inside me told me that this is worth it...to do this for myself. 2.5 minutes faster over last year's time pretty darn good in my book! I'm detrmined to do a HIM this July and I still have a long way to go but I'll make it. Keep telling yourself you can do it and you will. Search this board and you will find that you're not alone. Best wishes!

Edited by jmickle11 2007-02-20 6:18 PM
2007-02-20 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Hmmm, you feel like you didn't try hard enough, your times are not satisfying to you, you're 'very comfortable' in the water, and you have enough energy to be cheering on the people who are passing you.  I'm reading a lot into your post, but it sounds like you might be in the same boat I'm in.  I like training, but I certainly don't ever 'leave it all out on the pavement.'  I LIKE the feeling of being able to comfortably run my distances (or bike or swim).  Sure, I'm tired when I get back, but could I have gone a little farther or harder or faster?  Sure.  I don't really want to bonk anywhere and have to call for a ride.    I had a good discussion with my big brother last week that resulted in me pushing myself a bit out of my comfort zone in both running and cycling.  It was...um... uncomfortable... but I was able to do it and if I keep it up, I'll probably ll get faster.  Are you following a plan?  Or taking any recovery weeks? 

I checked your logs, and it looks like your swims are coached.  I will also never be one of our club's elites, and don't get too many pointers during our swims unless I ask.  Can you ask your coach these questions?  Maybe it's something specific with your stroke, maybe it's a strength thing - could you ask for specific strength exercises for swim muscles?  Lifeguarding is different that tri swimming (I'm guessing here) and it could be that even though those 10 people are now in the 'deep end' that you are just far more versatile than they are.

Finally, it looks like you've had some kind of mystery illness not very long ago...it may be that a time trial in another week or two would give you a different result?

We may be long lost relatives...I too am not a natural athlete and have to work hard for any gains I make.  I am also married to a guy who can pick up just about any sport or activity on the first try.  He used to run our local 12K fun run every year in about an hour...and that was the ONLY time he ran all year.   The first time we went skiing he could ski better than I could by the end of the day, and I had skied for a long time.  Frustrating isn't the word for something like that! 

So, your best is ABSOLUTELY good enough!  You are doing awesome and should be very proud of the progress you've made - taking over two minutes off your TT time after being sick...that's a big deal!

Sorry, probably too long for a post, but don't worry and be sure to give yourself the credit you deserve!

2007-02-20 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
Your best is ALWAYS good enough as long as it is your best.
I've found in my own training that sometimes I think I'm pushing it as hard as I can go. Then when I get out with a training partner I find I push even harder so when alone I must be holding back a little. Don't worry, you'll breakthrough.

2007-02-20 8:22 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I hear you about the swimming. I swam all year most weeks 3 times a week, did a 1000 yd TT in January and was slower than I was the year before. Gosh I took expensive swim lessons with coach who works with triathletes and it plain sucks that I don't improve.

The TT comparision in a way wasn't really a fair comparision since this off season I worked on technique for 3-4 months and the year before I was doing swim intervals so it is a bit comparing apples to oranges.

I sometimes feel that I just won't get it....if I had any talent it would have come out by now. This will be my 4th season doing tris and almost everyone I know that has been doing them as long as I have swims faster than I do (most much faster) and many take months off at a time.

I keep holding onto the thought I just haven't figured out what works for me yet and that some day I will get that break through. In 2005 I was last out of the water a couple times in tris and 2006 that didn't occur, plus I was nervous swimming in '05 and felt comfortable in '06. Mentally I am working on accepting where I am and trying to be kind to myself and working on improving from where I am. I have no control over others just me and my attitude.

My run and bike times are improving so I hang onto that. I just want to know what it is I need to do to get better; it has to be a mechanics thing based on what I have read. I just would like to get the answer....whatever it is I'd do it...someone please tell me!

2007-02-20 8:36 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Yes there are people who seem to pick up a sport and improve quite fast with limited training BUT most athletes improve because they do spend many hours just training and training AND training. I don’t know how much more swimming those guys who now swim faster compared to you actually do, but based on your logs with an avg. of 3.5 hrs a month of swimming and running for the past 12 months, I just don’t see how would you expect to improve much or at all?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is a kick in the a$$ as you asked. If you want to be good at something you have to do it over and over, otherwise expect to be as good as the time you spend doing it…

2007-02-20 8:58 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heh - you shaved 2 and a half minutes off of your last summers time? That sounds good to me and shows improvement. Look at yourself and don't compare yourself to others so much.

Having said that I really know where you are coming from. I am a really competent swimmer and I swim with masters and yet I see people start in the slow lane and get faster than me within months - mostly men though. It is VERY frustrating.
A couple of people at masters have told me that you have to swim 3 x per week plus to see improvement but as swimming is not my weakness of the 3 I choose not to do that and spend time on the other two plus strength, so it's all a balance I guess.

If I improve my time trial by 2 mins though next time I will be thrilled - don't be so hard on yourself

Jackie
2007-02-20 9:52 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Don't get down on yourself, like others have said keep pushing. It is only Feb. so keep at it with a positive attitude and watch by summer you'll keep improving.
2007-02-20 11:54 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I have to somewhat agree with amiine.

If you are not a natural athlete - you need to spend MORE time in order to get better.  For myself, swim improvements ONLY start happening when I am swimming at least 3x a week, at least 1500 yards at a time.

Once I've got my times where I want them, I can ease back a bit and still maintain, but swimming 1x or 2x a week is ONLY maintenance level, NOT improvement level.  (at least once you are past the getting used to swimming again part.)

I use swimming as an example, but this applys to running and biking as well.

2007-02-21 4:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I don't know, I am kind of laid back, don't really log my workouts and all - and really don't worry about it too much, but I can relate to your swim times, I do a 1600 in 30 minutes. I have not improved on this time in three years - maybe I could, maybe I can't but like I said before, I don't sweat it. If I were you, I would concentrate on my running or biking, of course still swim, duh I notice that you had a goal of a sub 31 5K. I do not consider myself a runner AT ALL, but do just shy of a sub 25 5k. I think it would be easier to improve your running time, and have more overall success with triathlons - if that is what you are looking for.

My sister is FRONT of the BOP (you know, fastest of the slow swimmers!), and quite frequently wins or top 3 in most tri's. Now of course she kicks it in the bike and run, but it can be done.

2007-02-21 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone for the input, ideas, comments etc.

As per amiine cadreamer... now that I review my logs I can see I have been slacking off quite a bit in the past two months. I just need keep getting out there and doing stuff.

Since I joined the tri group I feel like I have been less and less committed to my workouts than I used to be when I trained alone last year using the Beg. to Olympic this time last year. I had hoped to gain more motivation from the company of others instead of staying committed to my own goals. I thought I would get a lot more guidance from the club, but the truth is I am simply paying for training time.

I need to tap into the same feelings I had last year about being successful at what I was doing.

I also need to improve my negative perspective. I never really clued in to how negative I am towards my training... and how much I compare myself to others.

So anyway, time for me to commit to a training plan, pay for my races and get over my bad self.

Apologies for such a crabby, negative post... I am actually a really fun person most of the time!!
2007-02-21 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
I hear ya! I used to swim circles around my hubby and all of a sudden last season he decided to start swimming faster. He's gotten pretty darn fast.

I did a workout Monday that I thought would be pretty easy. Boy was I wrong! I have lost all my speed in trying to improve technique.

I feel like what I think is my best isn't what someone else sees in me. I have a hard time pushing myself to that uncomfortabe level. I am going to be working with a coach after she gets back from vacation! I can't wait!

I am also working on that "feeling of being afraid to let it all hang out for fear of running out of gas" with my coach.

I set some pretty high goals for myself this season and my coach said they are all attainable, so of course I want to do better than my original goals.

Main goal: sub 13:30 Ironman. (dream goal sub 13 hour)
other goals: sub 6 hour Timberman
Harriman Half - sub 7 hours (tough course)
SOS race - place in AG. (cut off 1 hour in race time)

Have you changed your routine at all? Shake things up? do different races? Talk to your coach about "blowing you off' and how do you break through to the next level? If you show an interest and have a positive attitude, your coach will do their job.

There is no shame in being a BOP or MOPer. Most of the people here are in that category, myself included. I also do the same thing, cheer people on who are passing me.
Keep your head up!

Edited by jeanneroth 2007-02-21 10:13 AM
2007-02-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: #697565

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
amiine - 2007-02-20 9:36 PM Yes there are people who seem to pick up a sport and improve quite fast with limited training BUT most athletes improve because they do spend many hours just training and training AND training. I don’t know how much more swimming those guys who now swim faster compared to you actually do, but based on your logs with an avg. of 3.5 hrs a month of swimming and running for the past 12 months, I just don’t see how would you expect to improve much or at all?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but it is a kick in the a$$ as you asked. If you want to be good at something you have to do it over and over, otherwise expect to be as good as the time you spend doing it…

Same point I was going to make ........ who knows how many meters these people have been swimming a month?  They could be putting in 20 - 30,000 meters and compared to what you've been able to put in, that's a huge difference.

Same goes for running and cycling.

The formula is pretty "easy" for beginners.  If you want to get faster, swim lots, ride lots, run lots.  And make sure to get solid recovery in between efforts.

Keep at it and stay motivated, you'll get there!

2007-02-21 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I am somewhat sucked in by negative thinking, and I never joined the sport of Triathlon to win anything... but what is wrong with me? Am I not a natural athlete... am I not trying hard enough?

I go through my races cheering on the people passing me... and then hindsight leaves me wondering why I seem so completely mediocre. I am a total BOPer and to be honest, I think the Club coach completely zones past me now when he realized no matter how hard I try I will never be one of his elite athletes.

WOW! You sound just like me.

Except for me... it wasn't with swimming, it was with cycling.

Last year, I started to train with a tri club. I was SO EXCITED! People with my same interest... to train with! Cool! Right? WRONG!

I started with the Tri 101 group. I had been riding for 2 years already, so I felt confident I would do fine on the group rides.

So, here's how it all played out over 1-5 months with the cycling:

At first, I was the same speed as everyone. Then, I slowly started falling behind. Yea, people who had only been riding for a month were kicking my butt. I started to feel really bad about my cycling performance. There were a few rides where I contemplated WHY I was even trying to do tri's... when I sucked so bad.

My coach in the tri group pretty much started to zone past me. Oddly, he only focused on the really hot girls who were struggling... and who seemed to get better.

I know that I'm slow. I am always going to a MOP'er... and close to a BOP'er.

I won't ever run a 7 minute mile... I won't win my age group... but that's OK. I'm still an athlete. I'm out there doing it. If I cared about winning I wouldn't be doing this anymore, that's for sure. But the flip side... I would go back to being a gym rat- NO THANKS!

So, I go to my races, and just try to do what I can do. I will never be first, and I probably won't be last... and that's perfectly OK. I am just grateful I can get out there and do it.

2007-02-21 12:05 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Since I joined the tri group I feel like I have been less and less committed to my workouts than I used to be when I trained alone last year using the Beg. to Olympic this time last year. I had hoped to gain more motivation from the company of others instead of staying committed to my own goals. I thought I would get a lot more guidance from the club, but the truth is I am simply paying for training time.

With that said... sometimes training with others can be more depressing... than inspiring. It's easy to compare yourself to them and get caught up in that.

I know I had to go back to training "alone" and no with my tri club. With my tri club, I always ended my workout on a sour note feeling really bad about myself.

Now days, I feel fine about myself and my workouts. I never feel like I want to quit tri's... like I use to when I worked out with my tri club.

You might want to analyze when training was fun for you, and go back to that routine.
2007-02-21 12:20 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

There are two wolves in your head that are fighting each other.  One is the dread and doubt that you'll never get faster even though you work at it.  The other is that hard work will pay off and you can blow past your current swimming abilities.

The wolf that wins is the wolf you feed.

From the prespective if what I'm reading, I know which is getting fed.

2007-02-21 12:25 PM

User image

Salt Lake City, UT
Thanks Irondog for starting this thread and for everyones comments. I so needed to read this. I have been feeling the same about my tri training - even questioning if I wanted to do any races at all this year. But after reading everyones comments - I think I'm not as ready to give up on tris as I thought I was.

I am a solid back of the packer and no matter how much I train and try - I just never seem to get any faster. I was working with a tri-coach and attending clinics but it didn't help. Granted he is a really nice guy but like many said here, in the clinics the coach went with the faster group and left us slower athletes to struggle on our own. Personally I was disappointed in the coach because those of us at the back need alot of encouragement too - sure we'll never win trophies but a good coach will address the needs of all their athletes not just the ones that will win them trophies. So I'm not working with a coach any more.

I just need to keep swimming.
2007-02-21 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
I too have a really hard time finding the motivation to push mysefl into the uncomfortable zone when not training with others.  In and effort to combat this, I joined a tri club this year.  Running is my biggest challenge and I have struggled with being the last person on the group runs since day one.  I was getting dropped within the first 5 mins of the warm up.  I felt like such a fool.  I was/am just slow.  I have since improved and can hold on for most of the warm up.  We usually run hill repeats or loops as our workout so I stay with the group for that aswell.  Keep in mind though, that when they do 8 reps, I do 6 in order to finish at the same time.  Then I get dropped on the cool down run back to the athletic centre.  It plays out the same way every week.  I've gone home crying and feeling defeated, and embarassed to even be thinking about running with them.  A few weeks ago after a particularly difficult run, and getting dropped on the cool down, the self talk began.  I wanted to walk, my legs were sore and tired, it was cold and raining, no one to keep me company and man did my lungs hurt.  I'm not sure what happened, but I somehow went from thinking all this negative stuff to discovering that there was a reason for being at the back, alone, every run.  It was a training tool.  I was/am building mental strength and toughness.  I realised that I am no less of an athlete (or person for that mater) than the others I just face different obstacles.  Its forced me to focus on myself adn the mental aspect of training, something that I was/am lacking and must continue to work on.  Sometimes I wish I got to experience the swiftness of other peoples rate of improvement, but when it comes right down to it, I'm not in this for one race, or one season.  This is a lifestyle for me.  Its about overall health and although I'm not improving in leaps and bounds, I am improving.  And I feel good.  Best of luck... who knows, maybe those other faster swimmers struggle in other areas??
2007-02-21 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

While natural ability is all well and good for those who have it, the rest of us have to rely on hard work. From what I am seeing in your logs, you need to work out more consistently to improve. A day off here and there is a good thing, recuperating from injury is necessary, but multiple days in a row of not working out is not going to help you improve.

This time of year it's really difficult (for me) to get in the training I need to do (the trainer sucks, the treadmill sucks, the weather sucks, running in the mud sucks) this I know. I also know that it sucks for everybody else as well. Those who can put the suckitude aside and press on with what needs to be done will have a better race season than those give in to the suck.

I heard a great quote the other day

"Triathlons are not won on race day, they are won at 4:30 A.M. on a cold Tuesday in February" 

I heard another one too

"it's called a WORK-out, not an EASY-out"

I'll stop with the platitudes now

Get busy!

2007-02-21 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

For me it was getting beyond trying to compare myself to others. Although  I am competitve by nature w/ swimming I had to realize its going to take some time. I just took my second masters swim class and after the first class I almost quit because I felt so inadequate (secretly crying in the lane during sets), but then I had to remember it's not how how I do against everyone else, but how I do against myself.

Class was much better this week - was I faster NO, but I was working strong for me and left feeling like in another year or I so I will be the fast one if I just keep at it.

Look at it this way, barring any injury or illness you can only improve! Keep you chin up!

2007-02-21 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Northern California
irondog - 2007-02-20 3:28 PM... or any other suggestions.
If swimming is causing you heartache? Duathlons are good.
2007-02-21 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Irondog, I am not a natural athlete either.  2 quick observations:

1.  Training more helps; and

2.  It might be time to ditch your tri group and go back to solo workouts most of the time.   My local tri club is mostly very positive, so I can train with them even being the slowest person on the track and one of the slowest in the pool (after the first-month-of-swimming-just-doing-a-Danskin people!)  If the coaches were unhelpful or the triathletes were snotty, I would train alone.  Life's too short for that.

Get out there girl! 

2007-02-21 3:50 PM

User image

Expert

I find that I can either concentrate on the people passing me or the ones I'm passing (metaphorically speaking).  I may never win my AG.  I will never win anything overall.  But I train hard and often.  I'm in great shape, and I look good in a swim suit.  I work in a company of 80,000 people,  99% of whom do not work out, do not get off the couch and who do not look good in a swim suit.  So, yes there are lots of athletes that will kick me off the course, but there's a lot of people that I can kick off the course (if they would ever get on it in the first place).  I'm happy for those who beat me IF I did my best and they were better.  They make a better society and they deserve their credit. 

Your best is good enough!  Because it is your best.  That is all that matters.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My best just isn't good enough? Rss Feed  

of 2