General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Island Open Water Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-25 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: Long Island Open Water Swim
I was wondering if anyone knew of good places to get in some open water swimming practice. I know it's still early in the year to get out into the water, but it's something I've been thinking about. That being said, if you know of good places and want some swimming company let me know. I'm fairly new to Long Island so I'm unaware of any "hidden gems" that may be around.

2007-02-25 3:51 PM
in reply to: #702479

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: RE: Long Island Open Water Swim
I swim mostly on the north shore. West Meadow beach stinks it is real shallow during low tide. I prefer cedar beach, buoys are far out in deep water. The beach gets crowded but not the water. You will often find people out there in wet suits doing laps. The swimming area is 300 meters with buoys ever 100, so it is easy to keep track of distance. There are a lot of jellyfish in August and sometime the water quality can go down hill. Port Jeff is real nice but private, they can be snobs to crashers. You can get away with it on a bike but the check passes on cars.
2007-02-26 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
At Long Beach, the lifeguards let you swim parallel to the shore. You have to go and get one of the buoy's (i think thats how you spell it) to swim with. It has a strap, and it drags behind you. I have used this when I've gone and it is an easy way to get a workout in at the beach.
2007-02-26 6:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Sunken Meadow is a great place to swim, you could swim parallel to the shore and the lifegaurds don't really bother you. I can't recall how far the boardwalk is, but I think it is about 3/4 of a mile which you could use as a guide for the distance you swim. Lake Ronkonkoma is a good place to go swimming early in the season. The water temps are a bit warmer than the Ocean. I think it's only safe to swim their during the cooler months, once the water gets to a certain temp bacteria levels start to get high.
2007-03-07 7:10 AM
in reply to: #702512

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

incognito - 2007-02-25 4:51 PM I swim mostly on the north shore. West Meadow beach stinks it is real shallow during low tide. I prefer cedar beach, buoys are far out in deep water. The beach gets crowded but not the water. You will often find people out there in wet suits doing laps. The swimming area is 300 meters with buoys ever 100, so it is easy to keep track of distance. There are a lot of jellyfish in August and sometime the water quality can go down hill. Port Jeff is real nice but private, they can be snobs to crashers. You can get away with it on a bike but the check passes on cars.

Thanks for the info on Cedar Beach..I always wondered how long the swimming area is.  When ever I get time (child care), I am hoping to use Cedar Beach as my training OWS.  Right now I use World Gym's 50 foot pool...very annoying turning around every 50 FEET!!

2007-03-28 4:00 PM

New user

Check out Hauppauge HS swim program. Tu, We, and Fr evening open swim. I know Hauppauge and Smithtown school district residents are only $2 DOLLARS a session. I think it is open to anyone. Don't have the # but a google search or phone book should get you close.

Jeff

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Island Open Water Swim Rss Feed