General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Goal! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-25 6:03 PM

West Haven, CT
Subject: Big Goal!
Hey Everyone--

Just signed up as a Silver member and have been looking over all the training programs offered. If anyone can give me some advice as to what one would best suit my needs.

I would like to complete a half IM in late September, with intermittent sprint and Olympic distance tris throughout. My fitness right now is slightly below average. I can hold my own in the pool, average on the bike, and downright pathetic when it comes to running. I did my first sprint tri last summer, and sad to say the 3 mile run killed me. But this year I'm dedicating myself completely to achieving the task.

Thanks for all your help...

2007-02-26 12:50 AM
in reply to: #702590

User image

Expert
Carmel
Subject: RE: Big Goal!
I will tell you this. I am a horrible runner as well and Im trying a new method this year, but thats neither here nor there. I would go with the 1/2 iron plan that is balanced. Dont overdue the run bc of the fact that you are no good at it. Will it help to run more? Yes, but it can also increase your chance of injury and you dont want that. Stay balanced and work on the engine. Build your endurance and dont worry about speed, at least for the first few months.
2007-02-26 5:28 PM

West Haven, CT
Thanks for the sound advice...hope everything works out as planned
2007-02-26 6:35 PM

User image

over a barrier
Long Bricks....As you approach your 1/2 make sure you've done a few long bricks, ie 2hr rides with an hr hour on the end. I wish I had done more of those!!!!!
2007-02-26 7:21 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

You sound a lot like me!  My second tri ever I just about died on the 3 mile run.  Seemed like the hardest thing ever!  The next season, I did my first HIM, and while I didn't run the whole 13.1, I ran most of it and finished under 6 hours.  As others said above, don't overdo the run, as it will both frustrate you and increase the likelihood of injury.  If you run regularly you will eventually have a breakthrough run where you are just on cruise control.  That said, if you are like me, running will never be the natural flow that it is for some people.  And that's okay.

Good luck with your goals, log your workouts here and you'll get feedback if you ask for it!

2007-02-26 8:05 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
I would recommend the opposite of an above poster. I would build up to run 4-6x a week, work on the swim building up to 4-5x a week and maintaining the bike 2x a week for a the few months so you can focus more on running. later on you will balance up your plan increasing your bike to 3x a week and keeping swim 4x and run 4x. It is very important for you to keep in mind that all the build up should be gradually and the bulk of your training should be easy/steady (Z1-Z2) increasing the intensity in key sessions (tempo runs/rides, swim TT) slowly after a solid 6-8 week of base.

Good luck at the HIM!

2007-02-27 4:16 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Was hesitant to reply as I have no Half IM or IM experience.  Will be doing my first Half IM this year in Rockford (Rockman HIM).  Yet since the run is the weakest of the three for me as well, I’ll at least give my mental approach to the training, race, and goal hitting.

I am comfortable in the water, and decent on the bike.  Am following the Half IM plan here on BT and it seems (at least till now) to be heavy on the swim, with bike and run coming in 2 and 3 respectively.  Thought it was odd to be putting in so much swim time when running is what I need to most work on.  After really thinking about it though, in order to hit a goal of 6 hours, I need to be out of the water in 35-40 minutes (any later than that and my goal starts in a big hole), then average 19mph on the bike (minimum), then hang on for the run.  Knowing that I will be unable to run the entire 13.1 miles, am planning on treating it like a series of 15 minute intervals with a good run effort alternating with about a 30 second walk in the hopes that the average pace will be fast enough.  Also, eight or nine 15 minute intervals is mentally easier to handle.

With all that, it at least makes sense to me to really get faster that the swim and bike in order to give me a chance on the run.

Edited by tupuppy 2007-02-27 4:16 PM
2007-02-27 5:49 PM
in reply to: #705400

West Haven, CT
Hey Tupuppy--

Which of the HIM training plans are you following?
2007-02-27 8:04 PM
in reply to: #705517

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Welcome
whilst I haven't done an IM yet (1st planned this year), my weakness is the run so last year I followed a run focused plan. I know they have them for the Oly distance cos that's what I followed but haven't looked to see for HIM. If not you could look over the shorter dist one for some ideas.

I always thought you should concentrate on your weakness.

Good luck
Jackie
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Goal! Rss Feed