Endo Fun
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 30m 30s
Overall Rank = 428/1079
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Carb load spagetti on Sat Night. Sat day I drank about 8 liters of water and gatorade.
Sunday morning, 4:30a 1 med coffee, 5:45a 1 plain bagel and a garnola bar.
Event warmup:

I had to rack my bike the day before. The transition area opened at 5:00a (race started at 7:00a). After setting up my gear (5:50a), I wanted to warm up on the bike, but the entrance to transition was so backed up that the volunteers would no let me leave the area with my bike. I decided to just do a 2 mile run warm up. At 6:50 I did about a 300 yard swim warm up and then got ready for my wave start at 7:14a (the start was delayd 10 min).
Swim
  • 34m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Going north out to the first bouy was good. I was a little nervous, but everything quickly fell into place. The water was pretty choppy which made sighting the turn / sighting bouys difficult. The sighting bouys were slightly out of line, but not too bad. First turn went fine and which turned us to the east. It was about 7:25a so the sun was still low in the eastern sky which caused major glare on the water. Basically the people around me split into 3 groups; one heading to shore, the other out to sea, and the last group more or less in the correct line. I kind of split between the shore group and the correct group. I quickly realized my mistake and realigned with the correct group. I made it to the second turn bouy and could easily see the sighing bouys and finally the Red Bull Sea Gate. I kept my focus on form and relaxed a little from my prior focus of sighting and quickened my pace to the finish line. All in all a good swim
What would you do differently?:

Buy polorized goggles to help with the intense glare. I currently own clear lens goggles.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

It was a long run from the swim exit to my bike. That run alone took almost 1.5 min. Everything elese went pretty smooth.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Nutrition: 3 (28oz) bottles of Accelerade, 12oz of gatorade (from the aid station), 3 CarbBoom gels, 2 electrolyte tablets. -

Going out 28 miles on the bike felt good. There was one major hill and a couple of smaller ones. For the most part the "out" was slightly downhill with a nice tailwind. At the turn around I was averaging 21.3 mph. Coming back was pretty much a 20 mile constant hill. It wasn't so much a major climb, but it just never seemed to flaten out or go down hill. I confirmed this on my way home when we drove the course. Combining the uphill with a headwind casued me to lessen my pace. About 1.5 miles before the "no passing zone", (the zone was the last 1/2 mile of the bike course) I was challenged by a pack of 15. I had to raise my HR up to 170 to fight off the pack and not end up behind them going into the no passing zone. I was successfull at keeping them at bay, however this strong push at the end really zapped my legs which I think became my downfall on the run.

Let the pack go ahead of me at the end. It would probably only have cost me 1 min on the bike. Instead it cost me 10 - 15 min on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Run
  • 2h 00m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Nutrition: 28 oz. of Accelerade (fuel belt). 2 electrolyte tablets, 2 CarbBoom gels, several cups of water at aid stations. -

This is where I had trouble. Coming off the bike I had the usual brick feeling. I pretty much ran out the bricks by mile 2 and I expected everything to come together. Unfortunatly this never happened. I was never able to settle into a good pace. My HR was lower than I had planned on, but my legs were gone. No matter how hard I pushed my legs they just would not go. Even the rolling hills started to give me problems by mile 7. My legs just had nothing left in them. I ended up walking a total of 4 times (about 1 min each time).
This segment was my only disappointment. I came into the event knowing that I could easily run 8 min miles, hoping to run 7'30"'s. I ended up fighting to keep 9 min pace.

Not push so hard during the end of the bike segment.
Post race
Warm down:

Minor stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg stamia and strength

Event comments:

Two minor complaints:
1. There was no cold water before the race. I forgot to bring my own water and after 20 mins of searching I was relucantly guided towards a hose. The hose was giving out HOT water. Luckily Team In Training walked by with a 10 gal water jug and let me fill my bottles with their water.

2. The typical "not enough porta-john complaint". There was less than 20 porta-johns for 1200 racers and 2000 spectators. Prior to the race, the line was about 100 people long (about 25 people in line were spectators).

Those two negative things aside, the courses were very well marked. Every intersection was well staffed with police and volenteers. The aid stations each had themes and the people at the stations did a great job. The volenteers around the transition area were very nice and extremely helpfull.

Last updated: 2004-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:53 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1079
Performance: Good
HR 167
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: U shaped. Headed out about .8mi, over about .4mi, and back about .8 mi
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:48:30 | 56 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Overall: 361/1079
Performance: Good
Per my body link (data slightly off because it took .75 miles to find a satelite) avg speed: 19.6 mph avg HR: 154
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back mostly along Route 106 which is a 55mph two lane highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:00:47 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 584/1079
Performance: Below average
My GPS shows the course length at 13.58 miles. avg HR:162 Avg pace:8'53"/mi
Course: Two loop course mostly along the shore of the lake. Going out was on the left side of the road, comming back was on the right side of the road. The course had gently rolling hills. There was not any major hills, but there was also very few flat spots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-23 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
Subject: Timberman 1/2 IronMan

2004-08-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #51881

Champion
Subject: RE: Timberman 1/2 IronMan
Good race Antelope.  I see you and I were pretty close until my poor run.  I walked a similar pattern, after the first 5 miles, began walking about a minute each mile, but my pace per mile was slower.  I never felt totally out of gas though, I just need to build my running mileage base to improve things.  I think I could have taken maybe 5 minutes more off the bike time, but it would have really trashed me and made the run even harder.  I felt I paced myself pretty well all day.  What wave did you start in...I was in the yellow caps (age 56)?
2004-08-23 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Great race!  Very fast - I enjoyed your report!
2004-08-23 3:26 PM
in reply to: #51886

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
Max,
-I just read your report and congrats on a great race.
-I was in the light blue caps (2nd wave).
-I felt well paced the entire swim and bike. Like I mentioned in my report, I just wish I could have ran a little better. Overall I am completely happy with my results. My goal was to hit 5h 15m, and I told myself that I would be very happy with anything under 5h 30m and that's exactly what I did. Now I know what I need to work on for my next half.
2004-08-23 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

Great Race.  I think you did awesome on the run considering what you did prior.

Good Job.

Evelyn

2004-08-23 5:02 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman 1/2 IronMan Rss Feed