General Discussion Race Reports! » Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
San Francisco, CA
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 14/200
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Met-Rx bar for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Jump up and down on the ferry to Alcatraz.
Swim
  • 48m
  • 2400 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Great view of the Golden Gate bridge, I will never forget seeing that on my right side when breathing. Swim felt good, and I managed to stay on a true course to the end.
What would you do differently?:

Get at the front of the line to jump off the ferry boat and start the swim, today I was almost at the end and lost a lot of ground since they started the race before everyone had entered the water.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Felt strong coming out of the water and had good mental focus during the transition. The fatigue didn't really hit me until about a minute into the run.

Just left my wetsuit and unneeded gear scattered on the groud, instead of taking the time to put them back into my transition bag before starting the run. Sometimes being neat does not pay. :)
Run
  • 56m
  • 7 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

A few men passed me, but no women. I even overtook a few women at the end! That surprised me, since I expected to be weaker on the run, turns out I held my own. My knee felt terrific most of the way, but did start to get sore the last 2 or 3 miles.

At the start of the run, less looking around and more focus on setting a quick pace. Although it is hard not to be distracted, and lulled into an easier pace, by the beautiful scenery and the tourists/joggers just strolling along.
Post race
Warm down:

Brief stretching at the race site. Ice my knee and more stretching later in the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not knowing how fast a pace to set on the swim and run. I might have underestimated my endurance, since I was not completely exhausted at the end.

Event comments:

I placed 5th in my age group (24-29) and 14th overall. Haven't seen all the official result so not sure how many women entered, but had to be around 200 since there were about 500 racers. So I got top ten percent overall, not bad! Excellent in fact, considering this was my first open-water swim and first multisport event. My inexperience showed in my getting a bad start, but my swim, run, and transition were very good. All my hard training paid off. This was a really fun event, I will be back next year!

Last updated: 2004-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:00 | 2400 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance:
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Straigh course, started by jumping off a ferry stopped about 100 yards from Alcatraz Island and swimming across San Francisco Bay to Crissy Field.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  00:00
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:56:00 | 07 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/200
Performance: Good
about 28 min for both halves of run.
Course: About a mile along the short, up a few flights of stairs to the Golden Gate Bridge (that was the toughest part), across the bridge and back. Water at the turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-08-24 12:06 AM

User image

New user

San Francisco
Subject: Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon

2004-08-24 12:44 AM
in reply to: #52220

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon
fabulous!
2004-08-24 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Great job! I'm so envious - I'd love to swim the Bay someday in a tri.
2004-08-24 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Wow,

Your first open-water swim in the SF Bay? You are brave. Congrats on such a great race. I'm so proud of you. I've been dreaming about Alcatraz for the last three weeks. I'm doing a tri in September that's part of the Alcatraz series. I hope to be a lottery winner so that I can do the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon next year! But it sounds like this race would be a good primer. I'm a strong swimmer, and terrible runner (only this season next season I'm going to kick butt on the run) and an OK biker. I don't have much open water experience so I'm curious as to your conditions on the swim. Was the water choppy? Rough seas? Whooshing current? Was it difficult to stay on course? You can PM me if you want. But it sounds like I'll have to enter this race to prepare for my eventual Escape from Alcatraz tri. (I'm hooked now there's no turning back!)

2004-08-24 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on a great race. Especially in the Bay!!!!
2004-08-24 1:53 PM
in reply to: #52388

User image

Elite
San Diego
Great Job! 14th overall.
You are going to dominate in your tri. I am now expecting top 1 or 2 in your age group.

2004-08-24 8:08 PM

User image

New user

San Francisco
thanks everyone! while this was my first open-water race, I did practice ocean swimming in the San Francisco bay at Aquatic Park. It's almost completely encircled by a pier, but still has some of the current/chop and of course the water is cold. here is a pic.

http://www.inetours.com/images/Snglimgs/Aquatic_Park.jpg

Edited by fightingfish 2004-08-24 8:12 PM
2004-08-26 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
what a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alcatraz Challenge Aquathlon Rss Feed