General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-02 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: IM Nutrition
I will be doing my first IM at CDA this year. As the date begins to loom closer, I am getting worried about nutrition. I know that the best nutrition is a balance between carbs, protein, calories, hydration and electrolytes. My problem is this. I cannot stand the taste and texture of energy drinks that have both protein and carbs (specifically Hammer and Accelerade).

I have done 2 HIM's surviving on Gatorade endurance, Boost protein drink, and accel gels (which have 5g protein each). I finished fine with energy still in the tank, but I really felt quite bloated and uncomfortable.

I have also tried solids such as energy bars, cookies etc while biking, but find that I can't chew and bike at the same time. It is also very unpallatable, and I WANT to try to enjoy what I am reaching for when there is 112 miles of biking in front of me.

Do you think I should go with the GE, Boost and gels for the IM and risk the stomach issues, or is there another solution other than Hammer or Accelerade that any of you have tried and like?

2007-03-02 8:00 PM
in reply to: #709785

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: IM Nutrition
It is not clear that protein is at all essential and others find the same issues you do.  Try practicing your nutrition without it.  I've never used any protein sources in a HIM and have no intention at this point to introduce it to my IM plans.  I get by on water, sports drink and gels.  Nutrition is very individual, so find something that works for you and don't worry about what other do (look to them for possible ideas, but don't expect to have the same solution).
2007-03-02 9:36 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
For IMLP last year, I used Gatorade Endurance on the bike course: 8 ounces every 10 minutes. I also had a PB&J sandwich that I ate along the way. That's it. I plan on doing the same for IMAZ.
2007-03-02 11:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
2007-03-03 12:54 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Those Succeed caps look awesome. Has anyone here used them before? Can you open the capsule and mix into another drink or do you just take the capsules?
2007-03-03 5:51 AM

User image

Regular
O'ahu or At Sea

I'm with you SlowOne, its a maze to navigate.  I tried for way too many calories during a pretend HIM duathlon (I'm stuck on a ship) and was dry heaving at hour 2 and was miserable for the rest of the race.  The thought of ever having to consume Hammer again makes my stomach turn.  I've been doing okay since with Accelerade but have some Perpetuem (high end Hammer product with protein) and Endurolytes (Hammer's answer to salt caps) on order.  I'm just going to try them all until I find something that I like and still works for me two hours down the road.  I dig the AccelGels on short workouts but they give me tummy issues on longer or more intense days.

I found some good articles here under Articles/Mind, Body & Soul/Nutrition.  "Sports Drinks: The good and bad sugars," had good info I use as reference.  "Engineered Sports Foods: A Primer," doesn't have a lot of info but a good list of whats out there.

Good luck at CDA! 

2007-03-03 6:30 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I have done 2 HIM's surviving on Gatorade endurance, Boost protein drink, and accel gels (which have 5g protein each). I finished fine with energy still in the tank, but I really felt quite bloated and uncomfortable.

How many calories per hour are you taking in?  Your body can process only a certain amount of calories and H2O.  Too many calories taken in too quickly and it will just sit in your stomach.  I shoot for 250 calories per hour, 20 oz H2O, and 600 mg of sodium (I'm 5'7", 143 pounds).  You can figure on ~2 calories / pound of lean body wieght; up to about 400 calories / hour.  These are just guidelines.

Also, GE uses simple sugars while Acel gels uses complex carbs (I assume, haven't looked).  The two do not mix well in your stomach.  Gels should be taken with plain water.  If you mix simple sugars and complex carbs in your stomach, they will just sit there until diluted with water enough to digest. 

In the end, nutrition is very personal.  Experiment in training and find what works.  Develop a nutrition plan for the race and stick to it.

TJ

2007-03-03 9:04 AM

Champion
No excuses!
Question for the IM vets, practicing your nutrition for IM at what duration or distance do you practice it. For example I am up to about 2 to 2:30 long ride and 12-15 mile runs should I be developing a plan during this distance or wait til I am up to 4 or so hour bike and high teens for LR?
2007-03-03 11:32 AM
in reply to: #710042

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Shermbelle - 2007-03-03 9:04 AM Question for the IM vets, practicing your nutrition for IM at what duration or distance do you practice it. For example I am up to about 2 to 2:30 long ride and 12-15 mile runs should I be developing a plan during this distance or wait til I am up to 4 or so hour bike and high teens for LR?

Start now.  You should be figuring out how many calories per hour your body can handle.  On a 2 hour ride you take the calculated number of calories with you and see how it goes.  Then extend this to your longer rides as your training progresses. 

Other things to consider:

• How are you going to carry your nutrition on the bike?
  • All liquids or will you take in some solid food also?
  • Do you like the taste of whatever you are taking in?

IMO the most important thing to determine is the number of calories per hour.  Too many and you look pregnant when you get off the bike (bloated belly).  Too few and you bonk on the run. 

TJ

2007-03-03 12:52 PM
in reply to: #709949

User image

Veteran
Southern, Wisconsin
leopard8996 - 2007-03-03 12:54 AM

Those Succeed caps look awesome. Has anyone here used them before? Can you open the capsule and mix into another drink or do you just take the capsules?

I personally have never tried them but I'm planning on buying the amino and ultra in a little while for training for my marathon. They were shown to me by a respected person who is training for an ultra-marathon and he says they've worked well.
2007-03-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #710116

Champion
No excuses!
zia_cyclist - 2007-03-03 12:32 PM

Shermbelle - 2007-03-03 9:04 AM Question for the IM vets, practicing your nutrition for IM at what duration or distance do you practice it. For example I am up to about 2 to 2:30 long ride and 12-15 mile runs should I be developing a plan during this distance or wait til I am up to 4 or so hour bike and high teens for LR?

Start now.  You should be figuring out how many calories per hour your body can handle.  On a 2 hour ride you take the calculated number of calories with you and see how it goes.  Then extend this to your longer rides as your training progresses. 

Other things to consider:

• How are you going to carry your nutrition on the bike?
  • All liquids or will you take in some solid food also?
  • Do you like the taste of whatever you are taking in?

IMO the most important thing to determine is the number of calories per hour.  Too many and you look pregnant when you get off the bike (bloated belly).  Too few and you bonk on the run. 

TJ

Appreciate the info. I will start this weekend on my 2+ hour ride and 12 mile run

2007-03-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #709949

Champion
No excuses!
leopard8996 - 2007-03-03 1:54 AM

Just bought some today. Will be trying them out later tonight.
2007-03-03 10:41 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
I've been trying PowerGels since I found out that IMAZ was not going to use GU. They sit in my stomach. Darn you IMAZ!
2007-03-04 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I've found the same thing with the PowerGels, ugh. I really wanted to eliminate one more thing that I had to carry but I'll be carrying GU with me. Why after all these years did they have to switch
2007-03-06 9:47 PM

Saugus
I recently attended an IM training camp and switched from Infinite because it has protein to 2 bottles with 4 scoops Carbo Pro (strictly carbs no protein) mixed with gatorade and water and have done 2 long rides (81 & 100 miles) followed by a 45 minute transition run since and both times have been very happy with the results. I also took 1-2 Thermolyte sodium tabs on the bike, and 1 on the run, in addition to 2 PowerGels (which is what we're getting on the IMAZ course, otherwise I prefer GU) when I felt I needed it on the bike. I'm constantly reaching for something, water, feed bottle, tabs, or gels. I plan to keep snickers minis, some pretzels and licorice in my special needs bag and an Uncrustable PB&J (love it at ~60 miles). 30' from finishing the bike I only drink water and try to take in most of my calories the first 3/4 of the ride. I'm 5'6", 130 lbs. and try to take in 250-300 cals. an hour. Through trial and error, this is what works for me, everyone's different. But I was told that the protein in a feed bottle will sit in your stomach and could give you stomach cramps on the run, which happened to me when I took the Infinite, although it wasn't unbearable and I really like Infinite I've decided to switch to Carbo Pro. Probably more info than you wanted but hope some of it helps.
2007-03-06 10:34 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

You could have made your infinit without the protein.  I have an infinit mix with protein for the bike and one without for the run.

But there is nothing wrong with CarboPro if that is working for you now.

2007-03-07 12:10 PM

Saugus
You're right Golderberger, you can get Infinit without protein which I plan to do when I run out of the canister that I just bought, of course, and was then told at the camp to try and stay away from protein when in a race. Then I got a free canister of C-Pro, used it and liked the results. But I like Infinit a lot and plan to use it when I ride or for shorter races but for IM I don't want to take any chances and will stick with the C-Pro/gatorade mix since it's worked so well.
2007-03-07 2:57 PM

User image

If anyone is familiar with Energ-ease and Recover-ease, I can get you some product for MUCH cheaper than you can get it online.  They are fantastic little capsules that you take before (Energ-ease) or after (Recover-ease) your workouts.  The Energ-ease capsules might help some of you with GI issues.

If anyone is interested, PM me and let me know.

2007-03-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: #714141

User image

Veteran
jo-tris - 2007-03-06 9:47 PM

I recently attended an IM training camp and switched from Infinite because it has protein to 2 bottles with 4 scoops Carbo Pro (strictly carbs no protein) mixed with gatorade and water and have done 2 long rides (81 & 100 miles) followed by a 45 minute transition run since and both times have been very happy with the results. I also took 1-2 Thermolyte sodium tabs on the bike, and 1 on the run, in addition to 2 PowerGels (which is what we're getting on the IMAZ course, otherwise I prefer GU) when I felt I needed it on the bike. I'm constantly reaching for something, water, feed bottle, tabs, or gels. I plan to keep snickers minis, some pretzels and licorice in my special needs bag and an Uncrustable PB&J (love it at ~60 miles). 30' from finishing the bike I only drink water and try to take in most of my calories the first 3/4 of the ride. I'm 5'6", 130 lbs. and try to take in 250-300 cals. an hour. Through trial and error, this is what works for me, everyone's different. But I was told that the protein in a feed bottle will sit in your stomach and could give you stomach cramps on the run, which happened to me when I took the Infinite, although it wasn't unbearable and I really like Infinite I've decided to switch to Carbo Pro. Probably more info than you wanted but hope some of it helps.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that protein could cause the stomach upset. I'll try to avoid it on the run and the last 30 miles of the bike. I also like the idea of snickers minis.
2007-03-08 5:22 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

All of this is so person-specific that it is hard to extrapolate from one person's experience to another without a whole bunch of trial and error (and goodness knows I've had my share of nutritional errors )

That said, be careful with simple sugars ... I believe the rule of thumb I have heard is that once you start with simple sugars, you have to keep taking them or risk the ensuing crash from the "sugar rush".

Also, as far as protein goes, a little bit might do you good due to your body's propensity to cannibalize your muscle for protein to help fuel the energy process (gluconeogenesis).

For some of the biology that I never paid attention to way back when I was in school, see http://www.hammernutrition.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf ... it is a quick read that gives you an overview of the mechanics behind nutrition and is written so a layman can understand it.  I do not use Hammer products (I prefer Gu and Accelerade), but think the nutritional overview is pretty comprehensive and not specific to their products.

2007-03-08 7:08 PM

Master
portland, or
Personally, I avoid protein in my race day nutrition. I also stay away from solid food. Carbo-Pro and/or Gatorade along with e-gels are my primary source of nutrition during a race. And of course flat coke during the marathon. It's always worked for me.

As for practicing nutrition, you should always be taking note of what's working, and what's not. It's not uncommon to find things that work when it's cool, don't work well when it's hot. Also practice taking in nutrition when doing hard intervals. If you can get it down during a hard workout, that's a good sign that it will work in a long race.

scott

2007-03-09 10:17 AM
in reply to: #716736

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Good points ..

Another thing I have tried is ratcheting down the amount of calories I take in per hour.  I found that I can stomach upwards of 510 cal/hr without gastric distress - but that it took a toll on me in terms of energy.  When I took the caloric level down to 325 cal/hr, my performance improved.

The point being that just because you can 'stomach it' doesn't necessarily mean that the nutrition is doing what you want for you.

yaqui - 2007-03-08 8:08 PM Personally, I avoid protein in my race day nutrition. I also stay away from solid food. Carbo-Pro and/or Gatorade along with e-gels are my primary source of nutrition during a race. And of course flat coke during the marathon. It's always worked for me. As for practicing nutrition, you should always be taking note of what's working, and what's not. It's not uncommon to find things that work when it's cool, don't work well when it's hot. Also practice taking in nutrition when doing hard intervals. If you can get it down during a hard workout, that's a good sign that it will work in a long race. scott

2007-03-13 12:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I' with Dennis. I trained for and used during IMLP: PB&J (mashed up), Double-strength Gatorade (one bottle, bike), and Gu Gels. Worked like a champ though I could have used one additional PB&J prior to getting off the bike.

CP2K
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Nutrition Rss Feed