Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-08 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winnipegosis
Subject: Winnipeg Runners, use caution

Hey folks... in the news today:

Quote:

A 49-year-old jogger is in guarded condition in hospital after he was struck -- perhaps deliberately -- by someone speeding down Wellington Crescent in a stolen car, police said today.
Const. Jacqueline Chaput said police learned of the hit-and-run shortly after 6 a.m. when a group of runners called 911 saying a blue car swerved at them as they jogged down Wellington Crescent.

Moments later the same group of joggers called police saying they found an injured man lying on the road at Wellington near Lanark Street.

Chaput said police got a good description of the car, including a licence plate number, and put out a broadcast for patrol cars to be on the lookout.

The car, an early-’90s Pontiac Sunbird, was found a short time later by police, abandoned near Broadway and Langside Street. It is now being examined by a police forensic team.

The injured jogger was rushed to hospital in unstable condition with head injuries, and has been upgraded to guarded.
Police ask anyone with information about the car, or its driver, -- it’s believed two people were in the car -- to call detectives at 986-2877.

Chaput said the incident highlights the need for all car owners to theft-proof their vehicles.

“It’s unfortunate it’s come to this,” she said. “Based on what’s happening here, it could have potentially tragic consequences.”

Police had no information on where or when the Sunbird was stolen.

On Wednesday 31 vehicles were reported stolen to police. There were also nine attempted thefts. Police also recovered 14 vehicles that had been reported stolen days earlier. [email protected]

I'll say the same thing here as in my blog: be CAREFUL out there.  Run with a group if you can, carry some ID, get the headphones off and be aware of your surroundings.

I always thought of Wellington Crescent as being one of the safest places in town to run.  Just goes to show that you've got to keep your head up wherever you run.

2007-03-09 6:11 PM
in reply to: #716853

Winnipeg
Subject: RE: Winnipeg Runners, use caution
Members of my Saturday morning running group were in that second group of runners who the moron tried to run over as well. We run Wellington every Saturday morning and while generally safe, there are always some idiots who drive way to fast for the winter driving conditions and it can get scary. Not sure if there is much one can do to protect oneself from a$$hole$ who purposely try to run you over other than to be prepared to dive out of the way. I am getting a bit long in the tooth and, unfortuntely, it still never ceases to amaze me how sick people can be. What a way to get your jollies! Probably just young, ignorant pukes who will get a slap on the wrist and blame everything on their 'troubled' past!
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Manitoba » Winnipeg Runners, use caution Rss Feed