General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leaning Tower Tri - Niles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-14 2:03 PM

New user

Subject: Leaning Tower Tri - Niles
Anyone have any experience with this race? Looks to be one of the early ones of the season (in May). I have heard that it is well run so I signed up.

thanks.

2007-04-06 4:30 PM
in reply to: #722941

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Subject: RE: Leaning Tower Tri - Niles
I have done this race twice in 2004 and 2005. The swim is a short pool swim. You split the lane with another athlete. Men and women swim in different pools. I can't remember who swims in the 25 yard pool and who swims in the 200 m pool. You then run around the Y (not very far) to T and get your bike. You then bike 5 loops through an industrial park (scenic it is not). Each loop you must cross over a timing mat so they can verify you did 5 loops. The road are ok and there are some railroad crossings. They do however put down some planks of wood you can ride over instead of the tracks. Then back to T for the run. The run is an out and back on the same course as the bike. I think there is 1 aid station that you hit twice.

Overall it is small and well run. No frills. Really no post race festivities. It is a good race to work out any kinks for larger races.

Hope this helps.
2007-04-09 7:56 AM
in reply to: #722941

User image

Veteran
Wheaton, IL
Subject: RE: Leaning Tower Tri - Niles
Thanks for the information regarding the race. I signed up as a warm-up for the season. I did have a question about the bike route - it seems more like a crit than a traditional triathlon course - how do they keep people from drafting? Thanks.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leaning Tower Tri - Niles Rss Feed