General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My wife...and Uphill Pedals for the UnGodly Northeastern Hills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-26 11:35 PM

Regular
Subject: My wife...and Uphill Pedals for the UnGodly Northeastern Hills
Hi all...

It's been awhile since I've posted but we finally moved to Maine...anyhow:

My wife's gracious nature has allowed me to order a pair of Shimano TR01 shoes to replace the 'leisure riding' pearl izumi's I ordered from LLBean b/f I knew anything about Tri's or Cycling...

In the meantime we've discovered that roads named 'pleasant hills' actually have, in fact, ridiculously large and voracious hills made for eating southern guys on their heavy bikes used to riding along the flat coast on the Gulf of Mexico

• ..with that in mind I'm wondering, should her giving nature stretch so far as new pedals...is there a good type/style of pedals that are more condusive to climbing than others? I'm using a SPD-R type now...generic brand...also bought before consulting someone who KNEW what they were doing...

• What's worked for you? What hasn't? Thanks and good luck racing...see you at Monster / Hyannis / Duxbury!

Matt

2004-08-27 9:01 AM
    in reply to: #54187

User image

New Hampshire
    Subject: RE: My wife...and Uphill Pedals for the UnGodly Northeastern Hills
    LMAO – welcome to New England.

I’m next door and I live in the “Flat” part of the state. Right. Sure its flat! There’s nothing but hills here!!!

Real hills.

Tom would love it!
    2004-08-27 9:10 AM

Champion

Matt, welcome to the "scenic rolling terrain" of New England, a term appreciated only by those who travel with the aid of the internal combustion engine.  Actually I think it all boils down to brand loyalty...I've used Look pedals since there were introduced and have never changed.  I'm sure a poll taken from New England cyclists would not reveal very much except to use whatever equipment you feel most comfortable with.

2004-08-27 10:07 AM
    in reply to: #54253

User image

Elite
    New City, New York
    hey guys I must say I love those rolling new england hills when it comes to skiing! Biking, now that's a whole different story!!

I also jsut got Look pedals and luv'em
    2004-08-27 10:10 AM

Regular
    I've taken a look at LOOK pedals...no pun intended...and although they are bigger and slightly heavier than the type I'm using I thought maybe they'd provide a more stable platform for climbing....more surface area for the foot...etc...less float...and they seem quite large
    2004-08-27 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Waterboro, Maine
    Welcome to Maine. And yes, our hills are something else! When I did the Danskin Tri on 8/1, everyone warned me about a monster hill. And as I reached the top, I asked someone when the really bad hill starts. They thought I was joking!

Now, try some of the mtn bike races if you want hills! Clifford Park in Biddeford is on Sunday. They say "No hills" but they lie. There are no long hills like at Bradbury Mtn, but still the short steep, off camber, rooty, wet hills are tough!

Are you doing Maine State Tri in Camden on 9/5? I will be there. I never planned to do such a long race, but I had so much fun at the Danskin, that I just had to "tri" one more time!

- Maureen

2004-08-27 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
    Rocky Hill, Connecticut
    Hi all,
    Welcome to New England (being from CT am I allowed to say that? ) I agree w/ the posts earlier that personel preference really is what matters. However, I am looking to upgrade my pedals this year also (currently using SPD's) and have been seriously looking at the Speedplay Xero 0 X-Series. Anyone using these or have any comments about them?

Thanx
    Dave
    2004-08-28 6:38 PM

Online or Offline
    Hudnick, of course you can say "Welcome to New England!"....CT is part of the New England states: CT, RI, MA, NH, VT, ME.

Adder welcome to New England!!
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My wife...and Uphill Pedals for the UnGodly Northeastern Hills Rss Feed