General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » on the comeback trail Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-11 2:21 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: on the comeback trail
hi everyone, I'm fairly new to this site but not new to triathlon. I'll try to keep my intro to the Reader's Digest version.

In '98 I lost about 80 pounds and started running. Went on to do four marathons and lots of shorter races. Since I'm not really crazy about long runs, I found my way to triathlon and did my first, the Danskin, in 2000. I was hooked and found a local race series that I absolutely love!

Since then I have had too many injuries, numerous surgeries, and basically sat out last season. The injuries cost me my job, my identity, and my weight loss. I've gained back most of the weight I had lost and have been battling depression for a while now. I've had Synvisc injections to help the arthritis in one knee and cortizone in the other. PT for the shoulder separation and was ready to make a comeback. While I had hoped to start base building this fall, I've been sick with one thing after another since September. Sinus and ear infections, upper respitory crap, and now bronchitis.

So that's where I am now, just happy to be walking on my treadmill in the basement. Some days are better than others. Hopefully I'll be able to do a sprint race or two next summer, but at this point I won't be surprised if I'm not. Oh, for the record, I'm 40, will be 41 next month (I really want to finally race in my new age category), married 20 years to the best Gear Guy around, and have 2 teenagers that always volunteer at my races. After leaving my job I went back to college full-time so that will keep me busy starting again next week

It's nice to be here and I'm looking forward to reading some great race reports.
Ellen

Edited by TriMom217 2004-01-11 2:35 PM

2004-01-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3596

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: RE: on the comeback trail
Hi Ellen,
Nice to have you on board. I, too, have struggled with a variety of injuries and a surgery that kept putting back my first triathlon until last year!! What are you studying in school? I am starting work on my Ph.D. (at 37). I have really enjoyed the studies to now and have used my training to keep the stress level down. I am currently working my way back into running knee-pain free - it is super slow, but progressing. My spouse has been a great race photographer and a real stand-up guy! It's been nice to have the support and a little push now and then. Hang in there.
Vanessa
2004-01-11 4:10 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome to the board! Remember no matter how small you thing that your foward step is, that you are moving foward. Let us know what we can do to help you make your comeback.
2004-01-11 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hi Ellen,

Good to have you here - welcome. Best wishes for recovery and renewal, you are in the right place. Take heart in this - It is not so much where you are right now as it is the direction you are headed. All of us here at beginertriathlete are with you in aiming in the right direction.

2004-01-11 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
i was with u on the depression when my injuries had me down for the count last year and early this year....totally understand how hard it can be to pull up outta that funk.  glad your finally getting back into it...even if only a treadmill...its a start!  and once you start it will only lead you to the finish line.
2004-01-11 10:38 PM

Just remember to take it one day at a time and listen to your body. I have had two serious illness myself. I am also 40 will be turning 41 in April. I started training in October because my doctor told me I had to if I wanted to stay healthy(heart healthy). The depression will get better if you just do something toward making forward progess. I Know! Take it slow and steady. Email me if you need a boost from someone who has been there. My email address is on my profile. Welcome and good luck on your comeback.

2004-01-12 5:19 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
thanx for the warm welcome everyone. I feel as if I am finally in the right place. Vanessa, I am currently working on my BS in Education and will be a teacher when all is said and done. I had to start from step one, since I never went to college after high school. I chose the military instead. What was I thinking?? Anyhow, I am a full-time student taking 6 classes since I'm not working at all. I should be done in another 2 years or so, if everything falls into place.

My thanx to everyone who posted their encouraging words. It really does help.
Ellen
2004-01-12 5:50 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Ellen, this is a great start. Just taking the steps to start getting back is usually the hardest. You already know you have what it takes to commit yourself and transform yourself. Just take it slow! Funny thing about the age group. I am 38 and want to have some good races in the next year and a half because the 40-45 age group here locally is much tougher :-)
2004-01-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3630

User image

Resident Matriarch
hey Cameron,

well, around here it's the 35-39 AG that's the toughest and the largest. When I checked 2 years ago, there were only a few of us moving up when I did. Last year would have been my best chance at any hardware, even if only in the Athena class. By this summer there will be a huge jump as the 39'rs turn 40 and my new age group will be as packed as my old one.

I have a friend that's 2 yrs older than me and one who's a year younger and they have both consistantly cleaned up in the Athena category. I'd like to give them a run for their money this year!

Ellen
2004-01-13 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Sounds like great goals! Keep up the good work and visualize your goals on bad days (and good ones too).
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » on the comeback trail Rss Feed