General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local cycling routes: who's used them? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-21 11:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: Local cycling routes: who's used them?

From the Denver Post Fitness section (http://www.denverpost.com/fitness/ci_5458293).

Which are your favorites, and why?  Which would you avoid, and why? 

10 routes to pedal

1. Lariat Loop, from Golden to the top of Lookout Mountain (water available at Buffalo Bill's grave).

2. Deer Creek Canyon, from Chatfield Reservoir to South Turkey Creek (or to Conifer via the Hi-Grade turnoff).

3. Bear Creek, from Morrison through Kittredge to Evergreen.

4. Golden Gate Canyon, from Colorado 93 to Golden Gate State Park.

5. Coal Creek Canyon, from Colorado 93 to Wondervu.

6. Flagstaff Mountain, from Boulder up Baseline Road to the top.

7. Left Hand Canyon, from U.S. 36 to Ward (quite steep at the top).

8. South St. Vrain Canyon, from Lyons to Peaceful Valley or Allenspark.

9. Red Rocks, from Morrison up the west side of the park to the amphitheater (10 percent grade in places).

10. Squaw Pass, from Bergen Park to Echo Lake (rough pavement in lower half).

2007-03-22 12:38 AM
in reply to: #732642

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Local cycling routes: who's used them?

Every one of those routes has SIGNIFICANT climbing! 

Coal Creek canyon....a little iffy.  There have been a few car/bike incidents, such as running cyclists off the road.  Of course, that can happen anywhere.

Flagstaff Mountain has a ton of switchbacks, but cars are used to cyclists here.

Left Hand Canyon to Ward is TOUGH, but also a Boulder area favorite and heavily traveled by cyclists.

Good list!

2007-03-22 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

I've done 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10.

I love them all and wouldn't say to avoid any of them. They are all GREAT climbs. And I mean climb with a CAPITAL "C" !!!!

2007-03-22 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
I am fairly new to both Colorado and to cycling, so I have only done 1, 2, and 3, but the rest are on my to do list.

I live pretty close to Lookout Mountain and have ridden it often. There are almost always other bikers out and I have not had much trouble with traffic.

I just recently combined 2 and 3 into one 45 mile loop by continuing on South Turkey Creek from Deer Creek Canyon to 73 into Evergreen to Morrison and back via the C470 trail. I don't think I would want to be riding Deer Creek Canyon around rush hour, but it was great during the day. About 3,300 feet of climbing total.

Oh, and I think the info about rough pavement on the lower half of Squaw Pass is out of date. They repaved the road towards the end of last summer and it was very nice (I have not seen what the winter has done to it though).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Local cycling routes: who's used them? Rss Feed