General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Long time lurker first time poster Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-22 2:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Long time lurker first time poster
Hello!

I completed my first and only triathlon back in July of last year. I had used the swim-based sprint triathlon training program from this site as I had never really swan before. It was quite an interesting experience learning how to swim properly (What do I need googles for? Oh you keep your head in the water? You mean these tight pants will make me go faster?) and it paid off during the swim (except the problem of the lake not having a black line on the bottom to follow).

I also just used my old mountain bike that I've had since I was 12 (back in 1992). I put some slicks on it but that was like putting a band-aid on a shotgun wound as only the front gear shifter on the bike worked. I was really happy with my 17mph clip despite those obstacles.

I didn't train as much as I should have for the run because I had always been a runner. Back in the 2002-2004 timeframe I was running alot of 5Ks and 10Ks and I weighed about 170lbs. However around 2004 I got a bug up my butt and decided I need to be buff. I started lifting, ate alot of protein bars, and before you know it I was 200 lbs. My waist size was a 34 (up from 31 1/2) and I didn't consider myself fat, but doing nothing but upper body workouts 5 times a week for two years transformed me a bit. During my triathlon training I didn't really lose any of the weight, and during the run portion I could feel all those extra pounds and man that 9:17 pace disappointed me.

After the triathlon I knew I needed to rededicate myself to running. Additionally, I decided to actually try to eat healthy. The pounds and the mile/min time came crashing down until I was able to do a 5K in October at about a 7:03 pace and a 10K on Thanksgiving around an 8:08 pace. I continued to swim and bike as well. I'm back down to around 170lbs.

Since the New Year though I have focused primarily on getting ready for a 15K this Sunday. I've yet to run more than 7.5 miles outside (8 2/3 on the treadmill) but I'm looking forward to it this weekend. After the race though it will be time to gear back up for the Summer schedule (I'm hoping to do a sprint triathlon in June, July, and August).

So I would really like to destroy the 5K portion of the sprint triathlon. I'm thinking of running three times a week (3-4miles one day, interval training another day, then long run (6-7mi) and biking and swimming twice. I don't know if that's optimum, but I would like to keep my endurance for the running so I can slide back to the 10Ks and the 15Ks once the fall hits.

Also.... I need to find a bike. I imagine that by itself would lead to the most improvement in my time. Unfortunately I'm getting married in May and all my money seems to be disappearing into that. I just need to figure out what I can afford and what is realistic for me in terms of performance gains. I figure any road bike will be a great improvement over a mountain bike, but the differences among road bikes aren't as substantial as the difference between a road and a mountain bike (but maybe I'm wrong).

I am pretty excited about getting new equipment though. My borrowed tri suit bottom went all see through (which I'm sure all the denizens of the pool-especially those water aerobics nuts -enjoyed) cause of the pool chlorine so I've been swimming in trunks and they are driving me nuts with all the drag. I also went to a proper Running Shoe store (in the old days the cheapest pair at Kohl's won) and got some nice shoes and 4 pairs of those special not cotton socks. But I figure the pressing item at the moment is the bike.

Well I've rambled on enough! Thanks to all those who provided help as I was lurking through the forums the last 9 months!

2007-03-22 10:00 PM
in reply to: #733488

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Long time lurker first time poster

Hey, just wanted to say welcome (even though you've been here for a while) and, if you are not using them already the LOGS are a GREAT resource.  I love having all my training data at my fingertips.  If you don't want to share you can always keep your log private.  I've found this has been one of the MOST helpful things for me over the long term. 

2007-03-23 5:00 PM
in reply to: #733488

User image

Expert

Welcom aboard dtjunkie!!  Sounds like you've already gone tthrough quite the transformation.

As for the bike, I raced my entire first season on a MTB w/ slicks, so I know averaging  17mph is fantastic work.  If you have to, keep on using the MTB for a while unless you can talk your fiance into registering at the local bike store

2007-03-25 9:41 PM
in reply to: #734083

User image

Veteran
cadreamer - 2007-03-21 11:00 PM

Hey, just wanted to say welcome (even though you've been here for a while) and, if you are not using them already the LOGS are a GREAT resource. I love having all my training data at my fingertips. If you don't want to share you can always keep your log private. I've found this has been one of the MOST helpful things for me over the long term.

Oh yea... these logs are awesome. Much much better than my old excel spreadsheet. And I think this will help keep me honest on the days were going to the gym seems like the last thing I want to do.
2007-03-25 9:42 PM
in reply to: #735102

User image

Veteran
TriForrestTri - 2007-03-22 6:00 PM

unless you can talk your fiance into registering at the local bike store

heheh.... I can dream... I can dream
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Long time lurker first time poster Rss Feed