General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Tip from Emilio: CUTTING WETSUIT LEGS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-26 12:22 AM

User image

Sunny San Diego
Subject: A Tip from Emilio: CUTTING WETSUIT LEGS
There have been quite a few questions posed to me similar to this one including a recent post of mine.

Can I cut the legs of my wetsuit? or

Why don't you make the legs of your wetsuit shorter? or

How about cutting the legs in an oval or elipse so the leg hole is bigger?

In my dry humor I am tempted to just reply: You own it, so you can do what you want with it...

But I have more to add to that.

Before you cut your wetsuit here are a few things to consider:

1. Removing a wetsuit is a lot easier when wet than when dry, so practice it with it wet. You can remove the Bibjohn then put it back on again just to your knees and practice again. This will make things faster for you without altering the wetsuit.

2. Remember the thicker rubber, and the more rubber, on the legs, the better the wetsuit is going to float. Shortening the legs of a wetsuit, reduces the buoyancy, and thus the speed of the wetsuit. It also makes it a less expensive wetsuit to make and if you are trying to save money, you are also losing buoyancy and speed in the water.

This applies to all wetsuits, not just the T1 Wetsuit.

If you want to cut the legs of your wetsuit, go for it. It is not rocket science, and if a suit is well made, it should cause any additional damage to the suit.

1. Consult first with your wetsuit manufacturer to see if you are voiding any guarantee or warranty by cutting the suit. (T1 Owners, if you cut the legs, the suit is yours permanently, but the service warranty is still valid.)

2. Decide how short you want the legs.

3. Turn the suit inside out and draw the cut-lines with a piece of chalk.

4. Use sharp scissors (no razors or exactos) and cut with smooth long scissor strokes.

5. If you cut through any seams – and this depends on how much you cut, take some wetsuit glue, or clear tubular tire glue, or tire-patching glue, or any kind of waterproof rubber-cement type of glue, and dab some on the end of the seam so the stitching does not unravel. Let this glue dry for 24 hours before using.

Your wetsuit is ready.

2007-03-26 8:58 AM
in reply to: #736557

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: A Tip from Emilio: CUTTING WETSUIT LEGS

Thanks for the info Emilio !

I cut a few inches of the legs of my Ironman Stealth before IMAZ last year (I need all the buoyancy I can get).  I also made a vertical 4" cut to the botton rear of the legs.  I would have preferred to not do this, but it defintely seemed to help with a faster removal of the wetsuit.

On a side note, I will be retiring the Stealth soon, and may come in and try on a T1.

Dan 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » A Tip from Emilio: CUTTING WETSUIT LEGS Rss Feed