General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » getting on board Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-12 7:46 AM

User image

Subject: getting on board
Hello everyone,

I have made the commitment to participate in a local tri this August. I needed a goal to train for. As a former athlete who has reached middle age without competing in anything for quite some time, I chose the tri format in hopes of getting back into shape and re-energizing my commitment to total health.

At the time, I am 43 years old and overweight. Not neccesarilly out of shape though. I swim 5 days a week. Twice a week I swim 2 miles straight freestyle in just over one hour. About 63 minutes. Last year I got inot mountain biking and rode usually three to four time a week. Some road or trail rides of 18 -25 miles. It is the running that has me concerned. I have never been able to run. It is both mental and physical. I hate it and because I am heavy, my body takes a pounding. I started with a treadmill last year and worked to 45 minutes to one hour at a brisk walk. (4.3 - 4.5 mph) When I began jogging, my legs and hips really bothered me to the point that I quit. I know that rather than quitting I should have just cut back, but as I said I do not like running.

So I am joining this board in hopes of getting some encouragement, training ideas etc so that I can participate in my first tri. My goal is to start and finish a sprint tri. Not necessary to be competative, but don't care to embarass myself either.

I'll keep you all updated ocassionally with my progress.

2004-01-12 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3643

Subject: RE: getting on board
Welcome..

You say you are overweight, yet you obviously do alot of activities (aren't a couch potato) and are in decent shape. How is your nutritional habits? With that kind of active schedule, the correct eating habits could have you dropping fat relatively easy thus making the run much easier/more enjoyable...
2004-01-12 8:10 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-01-12 9:23 AM

Champion
Gold member
welcome here...one thing to mention about your legs/feet and running problems...check your shoes...make sure they were fitted for u by a knowledgeable endurance sports staff.  it will help immensely.
2004-01-12 11:31 AM

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Paul! Yes, get running shoes!!!! Huge difference for me. Also, don't feel like you have to gout out and run 3 straight miles. Start off easy. Warm up walking, then run 1 min, walk 5 mins to start. The gradually increase the run time and decrease the walk time. This lets your legs recover while still getting some distance in.
2004-01-12 12:15 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Hey Paul, welcome to the site. I just got hooked up with the site a few weeks ago, but have been tri-ing for a few months.

get a swim in the day after you run - that helps me a lot - something about the swim that rejuvenates my body. Go easy to start - it sounds like you'll make good progress.

T

2004-01-12 7:21 PM

Central Louisiana
Welcome to our little world and it sounds like you are well on your way to meeting your goals!
2004-01-13 8:04 AM

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Steve Larsen killed at Ironman Lake Placid on a maximum of 20 miles a week of running. I actually emailed him and asked him if it was true and he said it was but he was training like a pro on the bike still. If running kills you do less of it. If you swim and bike a lot You don't need to run a lot. There are phases where I run everyday but mostly I run twice a week. About 18 miles on Wednesdays and 10 miles off a long bike ride on Sundays. As a triathlete you need to believe in cross training. If you build up to the run distance of your race and do it twice a week you should be fine doing it off the bike. However you need to do a brick work out. Even if you run once around the block slowly you need to run off the bike.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » getting on board Rss Feed