General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-03-29 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths
Someone told me today that Aluminum frames were better for a short tri (sprint and oly) and carbon was better for a longer tri (HIM and IM). His justification for this was that aluminum frames were stiffer and allowed greater acceleration which is more important on short rides and carbon was lighter which was more important on longer races. So I thought I'd ask the experts. Is there any truth to this or is this guy full of crap.

2007-03-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: #742484

User image

Subject: RE: Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths
Or Titanium for both
2007-03-29 5:12 PM

User image

Champion

Carbon bikes are likely lighter, yes, but that shouldn't really be your overriding decision characteristic (unless you're in the neighborhood of 4% BF).

Carbon bikes make the ride much smoother.  Thus enabling you to go longer distances and feeling better.

When I was shopping for my tri bike, I rode a P2SL and a P2C, back to back on the same road.  The P2SL was decent but, when I rode on the P2C, it was leaps and bounds more comfortable.  The road felt so much smoother.  I didn't want to get off the bike when I was done.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2007-03-29 5:13 PM
2007-03-29 5:16 PM
in reply to: #742505

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Actually it's all a bunch of bike mythology and heresy ........

You can make any frame material react in just about any way you want.  You can have a whippy and flexy alumnium just as easily as you can have a super stiff and responsive carbon.  It entirely depends on how the manufacturer designs and builds the frame.  And weight is not any different in that equation.  Cannondale got busted a few years ago with the Saeco because their bikes were below the UCI legal weight, so they had to make them heavier ...... and they were aluminum.

It also depends on which components you put on the frame.  Some absorb shock better than others (fork, bars, stem, seatpost, etc.).

To beat a dead horse, it is all about fit and comfort for you as to which one you decide on.  That and your budget .......

2007-03-29 7:27 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Believe Daremo on this one (and on most bike questions).  The "stiffness" on many Cervelo carbon frames is greater than many aluminum ones.  "Comfort" will likely be more impacted by things like your tire pressure than your frame material.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbon vs. Aluminum frame bikes and tri lengths Rss Feed