General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New / Old starter from Western KY Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-02 3:17 PM

Subject: New / Old starter from Western KY
I found this site about a year ago and became a member when I made my commitment to get back into doing triathlons after 20 years, that seems like another life time ago, of being away from the sport. It has and continues to very helpful place to get information and get inspiration to keep on TRIng. I thought it was about time to introduce myself and tell a little about my journey back so far.

First, I am 59 years old, and in spite of dropping over 100 pounds in the past 3 years, I still have a ways to go to look like an endurance athlete and not a linebacker-which I was in high school and college. Back then I was considered small (5' 10" and 220#) by football standards, but yhat still heavy by any other standard.

In the late 70's and early 80's, like many, I got into running to get back into shape. I ran in countless 5 and 10K's. I even did 3 marathons. With a lot of effort I got my weight down to under 200 pounds and ran a 3:47 marathon. But by 1985 I was burnt out on running. A few of the local runners that I knew were getting into this new sport, triathlons, that combined swimming and biking along with running. Back then there was little information about how to train for triathlons-especially for beginners.

I got a road bike and started riding it a few times a week, and I started swimming at the local pool a couple times a week. I had no idea what I was doing, but for a goal I entered the first Terre Haute Triathlon that was scheduled for the spring of 1986. The distances looked like something I might be able to do and it wasn't that far away from home. I was progressing in my training, until three weeks before the triathlon I collided with a dog on my bike. Along with nasty road rash, it resulted in a broken collarbone and a back so out of place that I could hardly walk. Needless to say, I didn't make it to the 1986 triathlon. By the time I had healed, I had gotten out of shape and had trouble getting back into training.

Over the following years, increasing responsibilities of work and family kept competing for my time, so exercise was pushed off as something to get back to when there was time-and there never seemed to be enough time! Finally, four years ago, I got the wake up call. My weight had gradually increased to over 300 pounds, along with the additional health problems that come along with that much extra weight (High BP, etc.). At my annual physical, the doctor told me he was concerned about my health and if I didn't do something about my weight, I was headed for some serious health issues.

I finally got some professional help to get some balance back into my life, which included taking better care of my self. Gradually, my weight began to drop with exercise and watching what I ate. I started riding a bike again, and when I started to get in better shape, I thought about even doing a triathlon. Luckily, I found the BT website to help with training plans for beginners. I picked one that seemed to fit me and started the journey back into becoming a triathlete. Since I never made it to the Terre Haute Triathlon in 1986, I thought it would be a good one to start with. I entered and finished it last May (distances 0.8K swim/40K bike/8.1K run). I enjoyed doing it so much that I entered and finished 3 more sprint triathlons later in the year. I even qualified for the National Senior Olympics by completing the “TRI for Sight” that was the Kentucky state qualifier. The national senior games are being held this summer Louisville, KY which is only 3 hours from my home in Paducah, KY so I am looking forward to haveing some fun playing with some kids my own age.
Rather long introduction I know, but just wanted to say that this site has been real helpful to get and keep me motivated as I get back into the sport. I hope to help contribute to others as well from my experiences along the way.

2007-04-02 4:42 PM
in reply to: #746079

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: New / Old starter from Western KY

I'm 55 and have been hanging around here for several years.  People here have such great stories about their experiences.  Yours is a good example.  Losing 100 lbs is a major accomplishment.  Getting back into exercise is so beneficial in our age bracket.   Keep it up.

TW 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New / Old starter from Western KY Rss Feed