General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Finally saying hello. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-12 4:40 PM

, Alabama
Subject: Finally saying hello.
I've been reading this site since the end of December and finally decided to say hello. I'm a 41-year-old mother of two and have been doing tri's and du's, initially just sprints, for about 2 1/2 years. In 2002 I turned 40 and wanted to do something big. I did an olympic distance for the first time that April and saw an application for The Great Floridian (iron distance) that October which was right after my birthday. I did that in 13:44 and qualified to be part of Team USA at the long distance tri world championships in Spain, which was last May. Worlds was an amazing experience, but I had a lot of medical setbacks before it. A broken toe, broken coccyx (two separate clumsy incidents!), and then what was diagnosed just before worlds as a "mass" on a cranial nerve. With a possible brain tumor on my mind, training wasn't thorough and the race wasn't very good, but I finished (4000 meter swim, 120K bike and 30K run) and was thrilled to be representing my country. Well, I don't have a brain tumor. It's neuropathy which I may have to deal with for years, but I definitely prefer this to a tumor! Now I'm gearing up for the Miami Marathon in Feb., St. Anthony's in April, and am trying worlds again this July in Sweden, as well as several local sprint du's and tri's. My husband (goes by ropkins on this forum) has recently started doing distance races. He did Great Floridian 1/2 last October and will do the Disney 1/2 IM this coming May.

2004-01-12 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3698

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Finally saying hello.

wow!  this sport is your job!?  too cool.  so glad no tumor!  keep us informed of your training and races.  we will value your experience. 

oh yeah...ropkins...loved his rr at the ropkins report.  inspiration for me.  dont be a stranger.

2004-01-12 7:10 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome and Glad to have you here!
2004-01-13 4:39 AM
in reply to: #3700

, Alabama
This sport is not my job; it's my adventure!. I work 3 days a week in aquatic physical therapy. Thanks for the kind words. Great website!
2004-01-13 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on representing the US!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Finally saying hello. Rss Feed