General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie needs help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-07 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: Newbie needs help!
Okay, since I'm new to triathlons, I signed up for a sprint 16 weeks out. However, I just had a friend convince me to sign up for another sprint that is 4 weeks away. Yikes! I need help with getting/creating a 4-week, crash-course training program. I have a decent endurance base and come from a strong cycling background, swam on a team growing up, and have been running for at least 30 minutes 3 times each week. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rebecca =)

2007-04-07 6:39 PM
in reply to: #752567

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Newbie needs help!
i think anyone on the site is gonna be hard pressed to come up with a crash plan to get you ready in 4 weeks.  that doesn't mean you can't do it though.  it sounds like you have already got pretty good base fitness to start with.  keep running the way you are, get a few swim workouts in per week starting TODAY, and get that bike out of the closet and get about 3 rides in per week.  hopefully your swim and bike will come back quickly.  slack off in the week leading up to your race for a taper.  you'll finish the sprint for sure but look for better results in the one four months away.
2007-04-07 6:51 PM
in reply to: #752582

User image

Veteran
Denver
tag - 2007-04-07 6:39 PM

i think anyone on the site is gonna be hard pressed to come up with a crash plan to get you ready in 4 weeks. that doesn't mean you can't do it though. it sounds like you have already got pretty good base fitness to start with. keep running the way you are, get a few swim workouts in per week starting TODAY, and get that bike out of the closet and get about 3 rides in per week. hopefully your swim and bike will come back quickly. slack off in the week leading up to your race for a taper. you'll finish the sprint for sure but look for better results in the one four months away.

Thanks for the information. I've actually kept up my cycling training through the winter on my trainer and have been out on the road now for the past month on most days. The swimming (I'm getting ready to head out the door for the pool in a little bit!) will, like you said, hopefully come back quickly. Thankfully, this first sprint race is for first timers to triathlons and maybe I won't look too pitiful out there! Shaking in my boots about it but still think it'll be fun. Carpe Diem, huh?
2007-04-07 7:03 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
keep up what you are doing and just add one birkc session a week (bike + short run) to get the legs used to the format of the race. Have fun!
2007-04-07 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

you're brave to take one on so soon.

bricks would be super important - good luck and be sure to post a race report so we can find out how you did!

2007-04-07 9:10 PM
in reply to: #752597

User image

amiine - 2007-04-07 5:03 PM keep up what you are doing and just add one birkc session a week (bike + short run) to get the legs used to the format of the race. Have fun!

What he said!!!

Make sure you practice your transitions. It may be worth your time to search the forums for some of the tips available.

Here is a ck list I use.

The single most important thing to do on race day,,,,,,,,,,,, have FUN!!!!!!

Attachments
----------------
Triathlon Check List.doc (28KB - 16 downloads)

2007-04-08 6:44 AM

User image

Expert

I've finished a couple of triathlons with not a lot of training, and as long as it's a sprint you should be able to finish.  It's good to have done workouts that are a little longer than each leg, so you know what it feels like, and I third the brick idea.  If it's an open water swim it'll also be really important to do a couple open water swims before, and get used to swimming in a wetsuit if you'll be using it. Good luck!  We need a race report when you are done .

2007-04-08 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
North Central WV

You will be fine.  Finishing clearly isn't going to be a problem for you since you have a solid endurance base.  I signed up for my first-ever tri 2 weeks out.  I had a good solid swim base and an OK running base. I had been mountain biking all summer.  I borrowed a road bike for the race and the only trouble I had was shifting gears.  I think I did one practice transition during the two weeks.  My legs did feel funky once I started running but it wasn't long before they felt fine. 

I totally agree with what the others have already suggested.  Just keep training and add a couple of transition runs.  I try to do transition runs after as many of my bike workouts as possible.  Sometimes I will do a full run workout but often I just do 10 minutes to get the legs turning over.

My biggest problem was psychological.  I had never in a million years anticipated competing in a triathlon and thought that triathlons were only for the athletic-elite!  It didn't matter how fit I was or how well I could swim.  I was still a nervous wreck from the day I sent in my entry form.  But I had such a fun day and was hooked on tri from there on in.

Best of luck. 

2007-04-08 1:13 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Consider it training for the sprint 16 weeks away.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie needs help! Rss Feed