General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prioritizing my racing & training upgrades... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-21 8:17 PM

Subject: Prioritizing my racing & training upgrades...
Like most here, racing is just a hobby for my family and I. I'm looking at upgrading some equipment this year to help my overall tri-performance. I can likely afford only one of the three upgrades to start out with and I'm looking for opinions as to the one most think will make the best overall improvement in my training and ultimately in my tri-performance (TIME!)

Here are the three things on the list...share away!!!

HR Monitoring equipment to change to HR monitored training/racing.
Wetsuit
Cips/pedals...(currently in toe cages)

Thanks for any input!!!
Reji

2007-04-21 9:10 PM
in reply to: #771511

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Prioritizing my racing & training upgrades...
I'd get the clips and shoes first, then the wetsuit, then the heartrate monitor.  I'm sure you'll here from others who live and breathe by their HRM, but I rarely use mine. 
2007-04-21 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada

I'm pretty inexperienced, so keep that in mind..

First thing to consider would be how often you'll be racing and in what temp and if wetsuit rentals are an option for you.  If a wetsuit is really important for safety (warmth) and will be used *often*, that could be the best purchase...but consider overall that you probably won't train in it a lot (I don't want to assume how you'll be training, but most of us are in the pool more often than OW) and that swim times aren't a huge portion of most races.  That alone would push the wetsuit down to the bottom of *my* list (might explain why I don't have one yet).

On another note,  I swear by my HRM.  I have a strong tendency to train at much too high of an intensity and it really helps me keep it all in perspective.  I don't know if it's making me faster as I've only just recently started using it very effectively in that way. 

As far as the pedals go...you'd probably be hard pressed to find someone tell you they aren't a worthwhile investment or high priority.  The HRM and wetsuit will get varying opinions, but I think everyone here would support the pedals ASAP.  There are so many choices that can be had for reasonably inexpensive by going with store brands from Nashbar or Performance as well that it's probably the lowest cost factor of the three (assuming you get a good HRM with strong record keeping capability - I quite enjoy the data that I get from my Polar S625x).

2007-04-21 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
If you were to buy one and only one item, IMHO it's far and away clipless shoes and pedals. You can't really perform a proper cycle stroke with toe cages. You don't need to spend a lot of money. It's really the best first step to improving cycling efficiency. I'm assuming you're already on a road bike ...

Next, I would get a HR monitor. I am a HR devotee, and I've seen significant improvement in my performance by using HR based training. You need to figure out what the numbers mean to you and why they're important and what they mean, but if you don't have the numbers, well, you don't know what's going on. RPE (rating of perceived effort) isn't all that effective, IMHO.

Third is the wetsuit. You can always rent a wetsuit for events if conditions require a wetsuit. It's not as easy as owning your own, and renting can add up. Here in the Seattle area conditions always require a wetsuit, so it's cheaper to just buy.

I have had great success purchasing equipment via eBay.
2007-04-22 1:10 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
From a personal perspective I'd go

1) clipless pedal system
2) HRM
3) wesuit

you can buy any/all of these used as well, so maybe you can afford all 3. I got my first HRM free from a friend who felt she'd become a slave to it (she was ahead of her time, LOL!). But I don't use it often enough to justify recommending it as the first priority upgrade.
2007-04-22 2:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
- Pedals - improve performance while not necassarily helping enjoyment, work in racing and training.
- Wetsuit - help performance, but only really while racing. Makes life easier if you have some cold swims.
- HRM - help training, help racing, help even if you ditch tri and never want to do it again...

Guess which way I'm leaning.

Price wise, I buy a lot of my stuff on ebay:-
- Pedals. $40'ish. Shoes $50?
- Wetsuit - probably start around $100 even secondhand
- HRM - get the most basic one but go for a good brand (Polar or Timex) and proably around $40 if you shop well

2007-04-22 3:33 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
  • Clipless pedals
  • Heart rate monitor
  • Wet suit (of course I live in FL where I don't have as much need for one
2007-04-22 4:27 AM

Wow...I love hearing all the opinions here. You guys are great! Thanks for all the input. I think I'm leaning toward pedals right now after this read and wetsuit at the bottom of the list.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prioritizing my racing & training upgrades... Rss Feed