Finalstretch.com
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 18s
Overall Rank = 13/18
Age Group = Team
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing too exciting here. We got on the road by about 5:50 am to get to Hudson. I ate a Baker's Breakfast Cookie on the way and drank some water. We got to the race site at about 6:25 to set up. There was no designated transition area for teams, which was kind of odd, but this whole race was pretty laid back (minimal body marking, no swim caps provided, headphones allowed on the run, etc) so I guess that fit in. We just set up in the middle of everyone else and waited for the 7:15 prerace meeting.
Event warmup:

I got in the water trying to decide whether or not wear a wetsuit. Decided to go with one, so put in on and went back in for a quick 50 yards before being called out for the race start. Mark ate some cookies. (eye roll)
Swim
  • 09m
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt really good in the swim. I probably could've done without the wetsuit, but it was fine either way. The biggest problem here was that the water was so shallow, people were standing up and walking rather than swimming! Even out at the turn around, the water was only about chest deep. Walking is fine, but it makes things a bit confusing for people trying to swim. It was a little tough sighting on the way back as we were swimming right into the sun.
What would you do differently?:

Probably skip the wetsuit. I also could've started more toward the middle rather than at the outside. I'm hesitant to do that yet, but in this race it probably would've worked better for me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

I could NOT get that wetsuit off!! Ugh. Caught on the ankles despite the layers of Bodyglide. I at least did better than I usually do with running up the beach after getting out of the water.

Skip the wetsuit
Bike
  • 40m 16s
  • 10 miles
  • 14.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Holy hannah, did I suck on this bike leg. The Big Hill got me, badly. I was doing pretty well before that, but when I got to the hill, I knew I was in trouble. I ended up walking my bike up the last third of it or so. There were lots of people walking, so I wasn't the only one, but still it was very disappointing. My arms were shaking and I felt like I was going to barf, so I figured I'd better get off and walk. The odd thing is, that I was pushing my bike at about 2.5 mph, and some of the people riding past me were not really going all that much faster. It is quite a hill! The guy next to me in transition (19 years old, placed in the top 5 overall, I believe) told me that at one point he was riding about 5 mph on the way up. Still, I was disappointed that the hill got the best of me.

Train much, much more on hills, especially long, steep hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

This was a simple hand-off of the timing chip to Mark, so pretty uneventful.

Nothing much, except make sure he knew which way the run exit was. (another eye roll)
Run
  • 32m 32s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty average pace for him, and certainly much faster than I can run! There was only one drink station on a 4 mile course, though. No good.

He wishes he's trained more for this event, but I thought he did fine.
Post race
Warm down:

I got off the bike and pounded my bottle of Accelerade, then I walked around trying to keep the legs loose. Watched for Mark to come in from the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of hill training.

Event comments:

I told Mark that next year, HE gets to do the bike leg!! :) Seriously, I'll probably do this again just so that I can get up that hill without walking. It's kind of disappointing to end the season on a downer, but at least it'll be motivation for next year. Oh, and I got to meet Autumn at the race, so that was really nice! :)

Last updated: 2004-09-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 586 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/18
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleevless wetsuit
Course: Out and back in the shallow St. Croix River
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:16 | 10 miles | 14.90 mile/hr
Overall: 15/18
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course on some neighborhood streets and then out of town a bit. Course was hilly and there were lots of curves. Traffic control was good. Of course, there was the dreaded Big Hill that I'd heard so much about... It's right before the turn around so getting up it is very tough, but coming back down is nice.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:32 | 04 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 8/18
Performance: Average
Course: Loop with a fair amount of hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-07 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon

2004-09-07 10:36 AM
in reply to: #58515

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Ok, the swim is supposed to say "Good", not "Below Average"...
I've gone in to try to fix it three times now, and it still keeps displaying "Below Average." Weird.

Kelly
2004-09-07 10:50 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
Subject: RE: St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon
Yaay! You finished. Well done Kelly.
Thanks for the report. So the water is only chest deep eh...

Ian
2004-09-07 10:57 AM
in reply to: #58535

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Yep, in some parts. In other places it's deeper, but I'd guess youcould probably touch bottom for a good part of the course.

Kelly
2004-09-07 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Great job, especially on the swim. A 1:30 pace is pretty damn fast! I'm kinda surprised that you didn't place even higher for that discipline.

Sure sounds like it was interesting race.

If you were forced to dismount on the hill...wow. I hate to see that hill...and to hear that one of the leaders only went 5mph on it. *Ouch*.

G/L with winter training.
2004-09-08 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Don't feel bad about the walk on the hill - barfing would have sucked more!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Croix Valley Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed