General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest Day Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-02 7:57 AM

User image

Orange County
Subject: Rest Day Question
My rest day consists of working from 5:00AM-1:30PM and then going to school from 2:30PM-10:00PM. Is this sufficient for a rest day or do I need a day where I sit and do nothing? A lot of times this long day is more exhausting than my longest training days. Thanks!

PS - I am following the beginner Ironman training - only one rest day per week.

2007-05-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #784925

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Rest Day Question
How does that compare to your schedule on non-rest days? You don't need to be sitting around and doing nothing all day, but I find that rest days are most beneficial when I am able to sleep in a little, not have much stress, and enjoy significantly more down time than on non-rest days. I find that to be most true when my training volumes are high (as will be the case with your IM training). But, if it's best that day be your rest day for scheduling purposes, then it will have to be. Good luck with it. I would imagine that won't be your schedule throughout your entire IM plan, unless you will be maintaining the same school schedule the entire time. Just find what works best for you in order to fit in training, your other life, and rest/recovery.
2007-05-02 8:25 AM
in reply to: #784925

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: RE: Rest Day Question

Yeah, I hear ya. Sometimes my rest days are more taxing than brick days! I have a toddler that keeps me hopping when I'm not doing yard work, laundry, cleaning etc... not to mention the brain having to work overtime just to think straight at times!

You are resting your muscles/heart and that is what is important. The rest day gives your body the chance to rebuild fibers that will help you gain strength, speed and aerobic power.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest Day Question Rss Feed