General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One Bike or Two? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-03 10:31 AM

User image

New user

Washington, DC
Subject: One Bike or Two?
This is my second full season racing and I am hooked. Right now I am debating whether to buy a road bike for training and using my tri-bike for racing, or buying a new, higher-end tri-bike and just having a single bike. Likley, I will either upgrade the component set on my QR Kilo (2005) and spend about $2500 on a road bike, or spend around $3000 on something like a Cervelo P2C. Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2007-05-03 1:42 PM
in reply to: #787002

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: RE: One Bike or Two?

I think it depends on how you train.  Obviously a tri bike would likely be prefered over a road bike for racing triathlons.

If you do a lot of group rides, or might want to do some bike races outside of tri's then I would get a road bike.

Since you already have a tri bike, if you don't see any downfall to having the single bike now, then I would think you would be fine upgrading to a fancier tri bike.  But if the Kilo is working well as a tri bike now, then is this upgrade really worth it?

The better option for spending money might be some other training aids.
-indoor trainer or computrainer
-power meter
-coaching time
-race wheels

2007-05-03 1:57 PM

User image

New user

Washington, DC
Thanks. My buddy said that I could join his group for rides, but that they don't allow tri-bikes. Why is that?
2007-05-03 2:14 PM
in reply to: #787467

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
i agree with KRCSWO. if you expect to do group rides or other types of riding, get a road bike and have 2. it's also nice to have 2 bikes if one goes down for service, etc.

on the other hand, if you train solo and only race tris, then get a nice new tri bike and have fun.

Thanks. My buddy said that I could join his group for rides, but that they don't allow tri-bikes. Why is that?

generally, group rides will ride in a pace line and it's not very safe to ride open roads in a pace line on aerobars. you are less stable and have no access to brakes. i'll do it when i ride with friends, but it's generally not cool to show up at a group ride and ride with strangers on aerobars. even if they didn't care, do you really trust being aero 8 inches off the wheel of someone you don't know?
2007-05-03 11:18 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-05-04 11:18 PM

You may want to consider a Cervelo Team Soloist. It works very well as a road bike and by just fliping the seat clamp around and adding some aerobars it works as a good Tri bike. Its like have two bikes in one.

I have had mine for 2 years now and have ridden over 8000 miles. I used it for 7 triathlons and 10 age group time trials in the TRi/TT configuration. I have also used it in the road bike configuration for several age group road races (no aerobars allowed) and countless miles in group training rides.

I also have a Surly Cross Check that I use for commuting, casual, and trail riding. I also use it for winter and bad weather rides when I don't want to mess up the Cervelo.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One Bike or Two? Rss Feed