General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming help / instructor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-03 10:55 AM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: Swimming help / instructor
Hoping someone could help me. Training for my first triathlon which will be in Ludington in August. I plan on doing the sprint distance. I was hoping to do the olympic distance but my swimming is horrible. I can barely swim a couple of lengths without nearly hyperventilating.

Any recommendations on a swimming instructor (would prefer private vs. group lesson) in the northern suburbs (Royal Oak area)?

Also, if anyone has done Ludington before, is it crowded? Is it a good place for a first timer?

Thanks for any help!

2007-05-03 6:42 PM
in reply to: #787053

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, Michigan
Subject: RE: Swimming help / instructor
Hello,
I did the luddington lighthouse traithlon as my first triathlon last year. I did the Olympic and my sister did the sprint. We both enjoyed it very much. It was not very crowded and the area is just beautiful. The swim is in lake michigan so the water is crystal clear. I could see the bottom of the lake 30 feet below. The swim is inside the breakers so there is no current and very little chop. The water was about 65 degrees so a wetsuit makes it more comfortable, but many of the athletes did not wear one (i did). The bike is a nice course with some small rolling hills for the Olympic and a straight there and back course for the sprint. The same for the run, a there and back for the sprint and a winding course that goes through a campground for the olympic.

I will be doing it again this year so hopefully i will see you there.

As far as swimming, I was in the same boat as you.

The book total immersion helped me. I started learning the proper stroke with this book.
Then, I had 5 sessions with a swim instructor and she told me my stroke was great but then nitpicked it a lot until it was even better (this helped me a lot). She also taught me to slow down becuase I was trying to swim too fast and this was tiring me out.

I am still not a fast swimmer, but now i can swim for over a mile without getting tired which, in a triathlon, will at least get me closer to the finish line as opposed to not finishing the race.
rkreuser is the one to really ask about swimming as he is really fast and loves swimming as well. I don't know about swimming programs down in Royal Oak because I live near Flint, but i there are quite a few uf us that do (rkreuser again).

Good luck and hope to see you in luddington!

Jason
2007-05-03 7:59 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Ummm, lemme see what I can do.  I've never had to use a swim instructor, but I know of a fantastic program that a couple elites use at Oakland U....I just need to find them and connect with 'em to see whether they'd be interested in private lessons, as they mostly run masters programs.

Hang tight, gimme a couple days.  And kudos for tackling your demons.

2007-05-21 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Look for a master's swim in your area.  My longest swim in January was 200m.  Last week I did 2,000m free w/o rest.  I attribute 95% of my success to Irish Aquatics Masters  (5% of my own determination).
2007-05-22 7:01 AM

Royal Oak, MI
I used Total Immersion as well, just the book and DVDs though. Went from barely being able to manage a 100 last February to easily finishing a 1500 in April.

I am by no means a fast swimmer, and still have a ton to work on, but TI helped me get started.
2007-05-22 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Allright, here's what I've got.

Alternative 1 The best instructor around for getting fast is Elena. She's a former Olympic medalist, and is the best in the area.  Someone else reminded me of her, so I looked her information up.  She runs the West Bloomfield master's program, and offers personal lessons.  A couple of links...

http://www.ucanswim2.com/2.html - this is her personal training site.  It's ungodly expensive, but I'm sure it'd get results.  You may be able to talk about some 'reasonable' alternatives to her packages.  I'm sure she'd work to fit your goals.

Alternative 2:

16.       Oakland Master Swimming Team - West Bloomfield, MI

West Bloomfield High School, starting Sept. 18, 2006,

Mon - Thur 7:30 - 9:00 PM, Sunday 9 - 11AM

Endurance-technique & speed for beginners, intermediate & masters

www.oaklandmasterswim.com

This is the route I'd personally go, or recommend.  You'll get the benefit of the aquacam, her coaching, and a group setting (which I'm finding out is MUCH more important to improving swimming speed than I thought - nothing like a little peer pressure!!!).  The minus here is that it's public, not private, so you'll have a lot of friends with you.  But it's in your neck of the woods.

Alternative 3: Here's a list of master's programs in Michigan.  There's one (South Oakland Seals) that swim out of Royal Oak Dondero....with a contact name.  Might just call him, explain your goals and ask him for his recommendation as far as lessons go.  Might be able to get you 'good enough' coaching at a fraction of Elena's price.

2007-05-23 7:34 AM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Rick-

Thanks very much for the input.

I actually contacted Elena after finding her name/website by searching for swim instructors on google and seeing that she specializes in beginners.

I have been to see her for 3 lessons now and it is certainly helping. She is very patient, positive and supportive.

Just need to practice what she is teaching me and I'll get there. I've already seen some progress and feel more comfortable in the water.

Thanks again for the help!

-Colin
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming help / instructor Rss Feed