General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-15 10:26 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ...
... Here's a routine given to me by PJ Striet, who I believe is currently the strength coahc at the U of Cinn, and also runs his own personal training business. Not really a glitz and glamour type of PT, he deals more with athletes.

Here's the message he sent me ....

The Day 1 Lower Body Work is fine (I like the combo of an SLD and leg curl) For the rest of day 1, you could do this:

Bench Press OR Chest Press Machine 1 work set of moderate 5-8 reps & 1 back-off set of moderate-high reps (8-15)
DB Rows same work sets as bench above
DB Lateral Raise 1 work set 8-12 reps
Shrugs 1 work set of 10-15 reps
Ex. Rotation 1 work set
Barbell Curl 1 work set
Neck Extension and lateral flexion 1 work set each way
*with the lower body work, this will put you right at 15 sets
*very focused, lower volume ab work should be done as well...a Dave Maurice Style weighted crunch or an extended range stability ball crunch for 1-2 perfect sets can be done. A 2:00 front plank hold can follow this.

Day 2 Upper Only
Overhead Press
Chins
*see bench and rows work sets above
Dips 1 work set
kelso shrugs (preferably off of a torso supported seated rowing unit) 1 work set
DB Front Raise (thumbs up/neutral grip) 1 work set
External Rotation 1 work set
DB Hammer Curl 1 work set
Neck (same as day 1)
*DB Side Bends for a work set can be done on this day, along with an all out set of conventional, full range sit-ups (very smooth reps...no throwing)

The Day 1 routine should be right about 35-40 minutes to get through (no more than 2:00 between sets and that should be timed preferably)

Day 2 will be about a 20:00 routine

I had asked him a few questions and he sent me the following message as explanantions to me questions, they add additional info to the program above.

Here it is. If you have questions, I'll answer them.

the biggest thing is not doing too much. The demands on these people in terms of their event training are already extreme, so you really have to keep things purposeful and efficient. You basically have to eliminate any unneccessary "fluff" from the program, as this can further drain recovery ability.

Lower body should only be trained one day/week, without question. Compound movement (leg press or squat), posterior chain exercise (form of the deadlift, glute-ham, hyperextension), direct hamstring movement, adduction, hip flexion, calf raise variation and anterior tibialis work would be a prudent program all for 1-2 work sets would be fine, and is basically what I use with these people.

Upper body work can be kept basic, with special attention to the shoulder capsule and traps. External Rotation, a shrug variation, direct neck work, and a couple of different upper body pulls (chins, rows, and pullover machine are what I usually include) will all address these regions, as you may know.

So, 2 training days/week, one day upper body only, 1 day total body. Under 12-15 total work sets on either day, with the lower body day probably falling at about 8-10 total sets (using a variety of different movements). As "event day" draws closer, one total body workout/week will "maintain".

Edited by TripleThreat 2004-01-15 10:27 AM

2004-01-15 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3928

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ...
It sounds like an intelligent weight program. I am also of the belief that weight training is suplimentary and should not interfere with actual triathlon training or recovery. I like to keep weight training simple. I like to keep all my training plans simple and fluff free. I had a cycling coach who said make it simple but hard and that is what I tend to do.
2004-01-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3928

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: RE: Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ...
Sorry, there was some stuff left out of the first post. It's corrected below ...

Day 1 (Monday) Total Body
-----------------

(12-15 Tot Wk-Sets)
1. Squat
2. SLDL
3. Leg Curl
4. Bench Press or CP-Machine 1x5-8 (moderate), 1x8-15 (back-off set)
5. DB Rows 1x5-8 (moderate), 1x8-15 (back-off set)
6. DB Lateral Raise 1 work set 8-12 reps
7. Shrugs 1 work set of 10-15 reps
8. Ex. Rotation 1 work set
9. Barbell Curl 1 work set
10. Neck Extension and lateral flexion 1 work set each way

*with the lower body work, this will put you right at 15 sets
*very focused, lower volume ab work should be done as well...a Dave Maurice Style weighted crunch or an extended range stability ball crunch for 1-2 perfect sets can be done. A 2:00 front plank hold can follow this.

Day 2 (Thurs)-- Upper Only
Overhead Press 1x5-8 (moderate), 1x8-15 (back-off set)
Chins 1x5-8 (moderate), 1x8-15 (back-off set)
Dips 1 work set
kelso shrugs (preferably off of a torso supported seated rowing unit) 1 work set
DB Front Raise (thumbs up/neutral grip) 1 work set
External Rotation 1 work set
DB Hammer Curl 1 work set
Neck (same as day 1)

*DB Side Bends for a work set can be done on this day, along with an all out set of conventional, full range sit-ups (very smooth reps...no throwing)

The Day 1 routine should be right about 35-40 minutes to get through (no more than 2:00 between sets and that should be timed preferably)

Day 2 will be about a 20:00 routine

It says "squats", but I am using the Hammer Strength Uni Lateral (i.e., one leg at a time) Leg Press for variety. I have squated for the last 2 years and worked up to 255x5, and 205x20 ... but my goal was "adding weight" (about 40 pounds). I'm trying the leg press for a bit and see how it goes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ... Rss Feed