General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trails and Hills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-04 10:47 PM

Subject: Bike trails and Hills
Hey guys. I'm new to tris and starting my workout and I am looking for the best trails in the Kansas City Area to ride as well a good place to do some hills training on my bike. I'm pretty amped for this so any help is defintely appreciated. I'm located near the Plaza if that helps at all. Thanks

Edited by Wizrob13 2007-05-04 10:49 PM

2007-05-08 12:45 AM
in reply to: #789633

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Subject: RE: Bike trails and Hills
Welcome to BT! You will find this a great place and the people are really nice.

Since you are near the plaza, you could go south on Ward Parkway to the Brookside/Waldo/Prairie Village/Mission Hills area. Pretty hilly on the KS side, relatively hilly on the MO side. I live around 72nd street in PV and love riding the hills around there.

You are going to find that at your location, you will be doing alot of "city" riding in the neighborhoods. More of the bike paths are further out in the burbs.

I'm still looking for other places to ride instead of my neighborhood.

Hope this helps some.

Edited by kcguy 2007-05-08 12:45 AM
2007-05-12 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
A lot of us do our regular riding out south of town from Heritage Park (you can either ride loops in/around the park, or leave and ride on the semi-country roads out there). 175th is great - there is a wide shoulder, and there are always other cyclists out there. Depending on how far you want to ride, you can do loops around the streets there, some of which are moderately hilly.

Also, a lot of triathletes will be out at Shawnee Mission Park west of town, especially on Thursday nights. That's when the place gets overrun by KC Multisport. I'm planning on going there Thursday nights starting in June b/c you can do OW swims in the lake, then hop on your bike for a few laps around the park. Be forewarned, though, SMP is HILLY! But if that's what you're looking for, it's the best place. Just park by the marina.

Those are about the only places I ride. I have been around the Longview Lake area in Lee's Summit a couple times to ride the Jackson County Tri course, and it was fine; it's just too far away for me to go there regularly. And someday I'll probably try riding the Big O Half course from Lake Olathe, since I heard it has some challenging hills.

Personally, I won't ride in the city. Too many horror stories of crazy drivers, and too many things (stop signs/lights, people, etc) to stop you from being able to get a good workout in. I don't like riding on the trails for training either for the same reason. Too many people, pets, wobbly kids on their first bikes, & leisurely riders out to potentially get in the way. And many are curvy and wooded, so you can't see around the next corner & therefore, can't go as fast. If you're just getting started riding, though, trails can be a great place to get comfortable w/your bike. I recommed the Indian Creek trail that runs through Leawood/Overland Park/Olathe/who-knows-else-where. Can't speak to any other trails in the city, though, sorry.

If you read my log inspires (and others'), you'll see us planning our rides... where to go, when to meet. Feel free to join us anytime. The more, the merrier!
2007-05-16 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
When are we having a BT-KC bike ride?  I think we should set one up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike trails and Hills Rss Feed