68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 16s
Overall Rank = 446/655
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Eats: Granola Bar, Sips of Coffee, 2 quarts of water and a piece of fruit
Setup: Run Shoes, Race Belt and Socks setup...Shoes onto bike, Sunglasses onto helmet onto aerobars...Bodymarked, Cap, Goggles and wetsuit out...bodyglide on

Event warmup:

Thorough stretching from top to bottom...then put on the wetsuit and headed outside to wait for the first heat
Swim
  • 17m 27s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Only 3rd time to swim over a 1/4 mile but after 2 swims of 1mile distances in Maine, under more adverse wave and temp conditions...found the swim comfortable...as usual...I wish THAT portion lasted longer

Cold water, waded out past majority of first wave...at start maintained a good course...paused on a few occasions to allow a few more navigationally challenged swimmers move out of my way to continue on course

Good kick control and decent breathing technique. Needed more strokes and after realizing it, adjusted for last leg of swim...improved speed.

Warmed up after less than a 1/3 of the course and the new Kaiman Goggles worked perfectly. Utilized more pull, less kick and it did save more for the bike/run but kept a good pace nonetheless...wetsuit worked exceptionally well.
What would you do differently?:

More strokes per minute....firmer torso control and begin a little less out than the pack...overall pleased with swim --- need to work on technique and drills over the off-season
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

One shoe in within 300yds of start....2nd took almost 1/2mi...had to slow to get it on....

Nothing! Awesome T1...best ever.
Bike
  • 45m 26s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

At about mile 2 I was taken out by two people wrecking ahead of me:

I called the EMT over, moved the bikes and stayed for about 8-10min at the scene. Bike bars were bent, chain off gears, shoes marred and bleeding from scrapes/rash on knees and shoulder....lucky compared to the girl who swerved into the passing guy...she left on a stretcher with a bloody face.

After EMTs had all in hand, attempted to put chain back on and did...but unsure of which gear, I didnt change gears more than 2 speeds all course...had a LOT of trouble clipping back in too....sensor on bike didnt work on the ride, but I know I was pushing upwards of 19-22mph afterwards to try and make up for the lost time

Avoid being taken out by other people crashing...what can I say?
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow putting socks on...maybe will try without socks...racebelt on as I ran out the doors

Try running without socks
Run
  • 27m 23s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Did NOT run hard...had a bladder cramp [really needed to pee....figures eh? water on all sides but no place to pee] most of the race...felt like a shuffle more than a run...had energy and refused water to avoid cramping on the way. Could have done better here minus the bladder cramp.

Still....after the crash, still bleeding and without water..I managed to keep the same time and pace as the previous races which were shorter using a faster cadence and shorter stride technique

Pee. Finish with less energy
Post race
Warm down:

First Aid Station for cleaning up cuts/scrapes...bagel, water and watching others come in

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE WRECK that took me out...I truly believe this could have been my best performance...a PR...minus the crash, damage to my bike and cuts...it was the time I spent waiting with the EMTs and two crashees....but it was the right thing to do

Event comments:

I loved Monster...I'll be back next year!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:27 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/655
Performance: Good
Suit: Ironman Wetsuit
Course: 3/4 Rectangle around World Trade center in Boston Harbor...ending onto a floating dock with helpers pulling swimmers aboard
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:26 | 12.4 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Overall: 487/655
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Scenic course through Boston....first 2mi were wide and flat...over first bridge. next 2mi through the Big Dig...very, very small lane for biking, potholes and cobblestone mid 2mi through Cambridge...minor up/down and highway like...overall fairly fast
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:23 | 03.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 402/655
Performance: Average
Course: Out Loop and Back along piers
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2004-09-08 7:32 PM

Regular
Subject: Monster Challenge

2004-09-08 8:59 PM
in reply to: #59361

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Monster Challenge

Rough day. Glad you are all right. Great rally just to finish. Wish we could have found a way to hook up, oh well. Maybe next year. If they open up that first leg of the ride for safety, it will be even faster and more fun. Good luck with your training.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Challenge Rss Feed