General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lunch hour workouts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-05-09 1:09 PM
in reply to: #793359

User image

, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Lunch hour workouts?
Best time to eat is after a workout, so it might not be so bad that you're eating lots right after your workout :-) That's what I tell myself anyways. I have the same problem after my evening, afternoon workouts. I think as long as you're not gorging to the point of gluttony and you're starting to pack lots of weight b/c of it, I don't see it as a problem.

my 2 cents

2007-05-09 1:47 PM
in reply to: #793525

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

kinezo - 2007-05-08 4:10 PM Don't mean to get off topic here but for those who workout durring lunch, do you guys have a shower at work or do you guys all go to the gym?? Is your lunch at work an hr or longer?? It would be really nice to squeeze in a workout during lunch but have wondered the shower and having only an hr would just be too short of a time. How do you guys do it? Thanks, D

I workout most days at work with only a 1 hour lunch & without a shower at work.

I keep a box of baby wipes, deodorant, towels at my desk and a small fan under. I use those when I run (2 or 3 times a week), when I swim, the rest of the day my colonge is "Sents of Clorine".

As far as eating, I have a bagle with PB on the way to work, then eat small amounts of fig bars, almonds, fruit, yogurt, crackers pretzels ect all day long. It works for me, good luck.

2007-05-09 1:49 PM
in reply to: #794374

User image

Champion
Milton, GA
lil_turtle - 2007-05-09 11:20 AM

Hmmmm...protein is always something I struggle with getting enough of.  I don't eat a whole lot of meat....not because I don't like it but because I don't like or don't know how to cook it.  So usually the only time I eat meat is when I go out to eat.  I guess I need to work on that...as well as finding other protein sources.  I could probably start doing eggs for breakfast....this is probably a stupid question but what goes in a protein shake?  What else has protein in it?

Thanks!

I am a big fan of protein shakes with Whey protein.  I am sure plenty of people out there say they are a waste and you can do without the boutique protein, but I enjoy them.  I use a whey protein called optimum nutrition.  It has about 120 calories, 22 grams of protein about 3 grams of carbs.  I mix it with 1/2 c. skim milk, 1 banana, 1 tbs peanut butter, 1 tbs flaxseed oil and 1/4 c. ff frozen yogurt.  Drink it mid morning (about 3 hours after breakfast) with 1 oz of almonds.  Keeps me full until lunch.

2007-05-09 1:58 PM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
I am also a big fan of lunch workouts (when I can).

I am huge believer of big breakfast (at least 500 calories) and that starts the day right. I also munch on raisins and usually have an apple as the morning continues.

I have an oatmeal/raisin Clif bar 15 minutes before workout (or a Nature Path Optimum Power Bar).

Then the workout.

Right after it's the usual recovery milk chocolate, then back to my office to warm-up and eat my carb intense lunch.

At around 15h, I usually have a either a slice of walnut/date bread, or a Granola bar.

But I did find out a few times that I NEED to have at least a bar before the workout, or it's tough to complete.
2007-05-09 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I've been lifting weights and running on my lunch hour for 15 years now and I can't imagine not being able to do so. M, W, F weights, T, Th running.

I have four kids and they're all in sports so "my time" is really only my time while I'm at work, after work is driving all over the place for practices, games etc. I'm fortunate that I can take 1.5 hours for lunch although I skip breaks and come in early and stay late (not long though) simply to make sure there's never a conflict with longer lunches.

I make two sandwiches, a baggie of veggies and add a couple apples and some water to my lunch bag the night before. I drive to a gym 10 minutes away so on the way to the gym, for days I lift I eat a sandwich and a few veggies. On the way back I eat the other sandwich and if there's time I'll try and get through the veggies but most of the time I take it all back to my desk for part of my afternoon snack. On running days I may take a bite or two from a sandwich only because it's killing me not to, but I try to not have much food in my stomach. I'll take a gu sometimes just to have some energy and the perception my stomach isn't completely empty.

On occasion I've had meetings that conflicted with lunch and I'll shorten up workouts in order to keep them but if I have to skip them I can get cranky. Luckily it doesn't happen often.
2007-05-09 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
Don't need two.

Edited by TriMike 2007-05-09 2:56 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lunch hour workouts? Rss Feed  

of 2