Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A 1927 school massacre Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-17 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: A 1927 school massacre

Tomorrow is my fathers 80 th birthday. I was looking at his birthdate as to what was news as reported in various newspapers. Came across this:

1927: The Bath School disaster
Today, disgruntled school board member, Andrew Kehoe, set off dynamite at a school in Bath, Michigan, after killing his wife and setting fire to his farm. Kehoe was allegedly upset over a property tax increase in order to fund the school building. Kehoe claimed the tax put his farm in foreclosure.

"Explosion of dynamite mysteriously planted under the foundations of the Bath Consolidated grade school here today, took an estimated toll of between 30 and 40 young lives and completely demolished the west wing of the two story brick structure," The Warren Tribune reported. "Work of the physicians and nurses was hampered by the heartbreaking search of parents for their children. Parents went from group to group and the general rescue activity was frequently interrupted by the sobbing of a mother who had found what she feared."

The bombing killed 45 people, most of them children under 12-years-old. After the bombing, Kehoe drove his car into a crowd of rescuers and detonated a bomb, killing himself and the schools superintendent while injuring several more. The disaster was the worst attack on a school in American history.
Links to the Past

Link to the Past

School House Blown Up By Dynamite Bomb

The more things change the more they stay the same. It's a crazy world with crazy people. I'm crazy but I'm nonviolent ...for the most part.

2007-05-17 1:28 PM
in reply to: #805048

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: A 1927 school massacre
Yeah, the media rehashed this a thousand times when VT happened.  I'm surprised you didn't see it.  Part of all that "worst in history" comparison talk.  Blech.
2007-05-17 1:32 PM
in reply to: #805081

Elite

hangloose - 2007-05-17 12:28 PM Yeah, the media rehashed this a thousand times when VT happened.  I'm surprised you didn't see it.  Part of all that "worst in history" comparison talk.  Blech.

huh, I've never heard about this either. Had to turn off the ghoulvision after the first couple hours of the VT coverage.

2007-05-17 1:42 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
No I didn't see it either. I was shocked to see the total number of dead. Here we have domestic violence resulting in death, a school bombing resulting in many deaths, and a car bombing resulting in a murder/suicide. Reckon this gent was pissed or maybe fanatical Muslim extremist?
2007-05-17 6:09 PM

User image

Elite
Thanks for this nugget. I get so upset when people glorify the past as "a more peaceful age," etc., etc. "It was a different time...they were the greatest generation." There were just as many lunatics, perverts, cold-blooded killers, corrupt politicians, and loose women as there are today. It just wasn't covered on 24/7 news programs broadcast to the entire world.

I particularly enjoy my frank conversations with WW2 vets who tell me all about the bordellos in Italy and the beautiful English ladies they met...and yes, they had girlfriends, fiancees, and wives back in the States. Don't you ever be duped into thinking people were any better back then. People are people. You take the good with the bad, and over time the defintion of good and bad will change.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » A 1927 school massacre Rss Feed