General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building bike strength/endurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-05-18 4:22 PM

Subject: Building bike strength/endurance
I just started training, and the bike is the one thing I'm actually having a hard time with. I've run for awhile, and I did a 1500m swim the other day with barely any training other than occasionally swimming laps for cardio and no real difficulty except feeling a little weak because I hadn't eaten enough (I did breaststroke and it took me 43 minutes, though). But my quads are evidently too weak for the bike -- I have strong calves and hamstrings for running, but my endurance on the bike is really horrible because my quads tire out too quickly. I can barely even go up a hill. Right now, I'm planning to do about 3 bike workouts a week, basically starting off just going as far as I can every time (which is about 6 miles, and I'll add hills and speed workouts as I get better), as well as adding the quad machine to my strength workouts (usually I do just upper body work, since yoga and running take care of my lower body). Also, I've started biking to school -- which is only a little over a mile each way, but every little bit counts I suppose and it beats waiting for the bus. Is there anything else I should add? Any suggestions? The first race I want to do is in about 2 months and has a 40k bike ride so I'm willing to do as much training as my body can handle until then. Also, my bike is a specialized Hard Rock mountain bike that I got, I think, in 4th grade (making it about 10 years old).

Oh, and will the butt soreness go away or do I need to get a new seat right now? It feels like I have bruising between my cheeks and my tailbone is sore

2007-05-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #807393

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: Building bike strength/endurance

The soreness goes away. Your endurance will get better. Just keep riding your bike.

A training plan is a good thing. Do you have one for your race?

2007-05-18 5:27 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

sun_princess - 2007-05-18 4:22 PM Also, my bike is a specialized Hard Rock mountain bike that I got, I think, in 4th grade (making it about 10 years old).

Does your bike still fit you? I imagine you grew some. Although mountain bikes are a bit more forgiving when it comes to fit, it's still important. And make sure your seat is at the proper height. Kids like to have their seats low so they can sit on their bikes with their feet touching the ground. However, you get the most power from your legs if your knee is bent around 25 degrees at the bottom of the pedal stroke. In other words, your leg should be almost fully extended with the pedal in its lowest position.

Oh, and will the butt soreness go away or do I need to get a new seat right now? It feels like I have bruising between my cheeks and my tailbone is sore

Your tushy will toughen. Just keep riding.

2007-05-18 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Butt pain will go away. What do you wear to ride in? Bike shorts are key to comfort as well as bike fit. You are going to do an Oly distance race on a mountain bike? It will be more challenging than a road bike, but very doable.

It seems odd to me that your quads give out that quickly as you are athletic in other ways before you started riding.

Sounds like you are in really good shape from all you have done. Are you shifting properly on your bike? Do you grind up the hills..meaning turning your legs very slowly at a low cadence? Biking up hills is all about proper cadence and using the right gears for the hill grade and your strength. Ideally when you ride you have a cadence of 90 rpm...meaning you turn the crank 90 times a minute. Many folks from riding as a kid go much lower and it actually fatigues your legs more quickly. I went from about 70 to 95 as my norm in the course of one summer of training. To learn to spin more quickly I would do 60 seconds at faster RPM with an easier gear without bouncing in my saddle of feeling uncomfortable, then go back to normal for 5 minutes and repeat. In time faster cadence felt easier.

When I first started riding 2.5 years ago riding 3 miles my butt hurt and I couldn't imagine riding 20 miles let alone 50 or 60. Now I ride 350-400 miles a month and love most every minute riding. It all gets better and is so fun.

If you don't have bike shorts do a search on this website there have been some good threads about them. I'd recommend spending at least $80 to get a decent pair. Bike shorts are something you get what you pay for.

I'd look at cadence, bike shorts, bike fit, and most important ride lots and you'll be good. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building bike strength/endurance Rss Feed