Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site super early. Checked in, set up transition, plugged in the iPod and watched the scenery unfold. Chatted up several friends at the event.
Event warmup:

Didn't warmup on the bike. Did an easy jog around the parking lot and just keep moving and loose. Got into the water about 15 minutes prior to start.
Swim
  • 18m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

I figure not too bad for my first OWS. I could have gone faster, but wasn't sure how I would hold up. I started off to the side and just tried to get into a groove. Not too much washing-machine effect. My watch kept coming off so I had to stop 3 times to fix that. And my goggles leaked once so I had to stop and fix that. I probably swam more than 750 meters as I was consistently off to the right side of the course, and the course was all left turns. Need to stay closer to the center line next time.
What would you do differently?:

1) NOT clear goggles - get something with tint, b/c looking into the sun was awful (the entire 2nd leg)

2) More OWS - get used to navigating.

3) Now that I know I can survive in the water, swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

Dizzy as all get out after the swim! I had to sit down to put my shoes on. My layout and putting my gear on was ok, just have to get faster at it.

Run to transition a bit quicker. Practice more OWS and then transitions.
Bike
  • 48m 29s
  • 16 miles
  • 19.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Good bike. I didn't push too hard on this segment and felt like I could've kept up the same pace for a lot longer distance. However, I had just put my clip-on aerobars on the bike 2 days before and hadn't really practiced with them, so I felt a twinge of tightness in my lower back during the ride(my back sucks).

More aerobar practice. Make sure my setup is good for the aero position.

I don't think the Gatorade I used sat well with my stomach, leading to minor GI issues during the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Not too bad with this transition. Racked the bike, dumped the helmet, kicked off the bike shoes and put on the running shoes. However, my sock got stuck in one shoe so I had to waste a few seconds dealing with that.

Go faster. Practice more (at race speed - that's the key!)
Run
  • 27m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Eh, not so good. First 1/2 mile I felt like puking and the first mile overall I wasn't going too fast. After about a mile I started feeling better and ran smoother. But I had way too much left in the tank at the end.

Make sure my watch stays on so I know my split times (stupid watch - an Ironman Timex no less - the velcro strap kept coming undone during the swim, so I ditched it at T1). I run better with hard data, ie. times, rather than by feel. That being said, I need to learn to just suck it up and push it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, meet up with friends, drink lots of water and eat some Moe's Tex-Mex (they sponsored the race).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. I mean, I hadn't done this distance before, so I didn't know how hard/fast to go. I realize now I could've gone faster, so my next race should be quicker. However, this was basically my first tri (my only other being a mini-sprint 6 years ago), so I'm reasonably happy with my performance.

Event comments:

Good race. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-12-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:37 | 750 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Yes
Course: 750 meter 3-leg course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:48:29 | 16 miles | 19.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Mostly flat with some minor inclines. Only 1 real hill of note on the course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:50 | 03.11 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Gently rolling out and back course with a spur.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-05-21 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Subject: Lake Murray Triathlon

2007-05-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #809353

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: Lake Murray Triathlon
Great job!!!  I know after my first triathlon I definitely knew I could have pushed harder, but now you know for next time.  You had a great first race and should be really proud of yourself.  Your swim time was great for your first OWS and your bike and run times are really awesome.  You are definitely off to a great start.
2007-05-21 12:33 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Congratulations Tommy!  Nice race.

Not that a mini-sprint 6 years ago doesn't count, but I think you have to look at this like a first time out.  You did well and sounds like you learned a few things too, so a successful day.  Next time you'll be able to open it up a little more and see what you can really do.

Keep making progress and keep up the juggling act. 

2007-05-21 1:57 PM

User image

Newberry
Good race. I had tinted goggles on and I was blind going into the sun too.
2007-05-21 9:52 PM

Regular
SC
Really great job! There are much easier OWS for first timers, but you picked one with a long stretch of staring at the sun. Bike time was impressive, too. Some of those hills were nothing to sneeze at, so maintaining that kind of pace is good. If you had fun, then enjoy that and just practice your weaker areas. Go get the next one!
2007-05-22 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
way to go! there were many a times when i was little and i quit races because my goggles leaked (sad, isn't it). just imagine how fast you'll go when all your equipment is cooperating! super fast bike!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Murray Triathlon Rss Feed