60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 50m 21s
Overall Rank = 599/658
Age Group = Male 40+
Age Group Rank = 92/95
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am.

Ate bagel w/peanut butter, banana, drank quart of accelerade.

Set up transition area, put on bodyglide and wetsuit.

Set up bike bottles and fuel belt bottles and energy bars the night before.
Event warmup:

Just some calisthenics and stretching.
Swim
  • 39m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great. My first wetsuit swim in competition. The water was a little cold, but the locals said it was really fairly warm. I had a great first half and made a perfect turn around the bouy but then got pushed much further to the right than I expected on the way back, so I wasted some time and energy trying to get back on track. All in all, the swim was great - I've had lake swims which were rougher than this swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to do something different when I get into a current. For some reason, I wind up trying to take the current head-on and that throws me off course.
Transition 1
  • 08m 24s
Comments:

T1 required making some decisions. Wasn't completely sure if I wanted to put on a jacket (it was pretty cool) or not. That kind of made my transition area a little messy. I also took a couple of minutes to give another guy a spare tube since he had already flatted.

T1 at this race had you run up the beach from the water about 150 yards, then run down the street a half block and into the transition area. On the way out, there were rail road tracks that made any kind of jumping on the bike almost impossible.

Run faster! Know ahead of time what to do with the wet suit.
Bike
  • 3h 19m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills were brutal, not to mention the headwind. It took me 1:52:55 to get out to the turn around and 1:27 coming back. Between the wind and the hills and the traffic, I was a bit overwhelmed.

I would practice more hills. If it had been just hills, I probably would have been okay. If it had been just wind, I probably would have been okay. The combination really wore me out. Need to add some weights to my off-season training to get the leg strength up.
Transition 2
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

T2 was pretty good. I changed socks, which I probably didn't have to do, but thought it would be best. The sun was coming out and it was warming up, so I wanted to give my feet every chance to be dry for as long as possible.

Not much. Organize my bike gear better as I am taking things off - that probably cost me the most time. And I stopped to pee - guess I could have done that on the bike or the run, but I'm not that competitive.
Run
  • 2h 36m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good, except for some neuroma. Feet were pretty sore and had some ITB going on in my right knee. I could have gone faster and finished sooner, but I wound up talking to a guy that was running slow, so I stayed with him - again, not really all that competitive. After a while, he slowed even more, so I pressed on and caught up with a couple of other folks I knew and then ran on in with them until we got to about a mile or so from the beach. I pushed harder to finish the last mile than they did.

Get the neuroma in my foot taken care of. Maybe take a couple of advil in T2. I'd probably go ahead and push harder the entire way and not be quite as sociable - though having someone to commiserate with did help.
Post race
Warm down:

Quick stretching.
Cold Coors Light.
Burrito.
Accelerade about 45 min after the race.
Shower.
Massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't sleep well the night before an event. I didn't sleep very well on the 11th before this race.

I went to the half-ironman distance too soon. I just started doing tris from a completely sedentary state about 15 months ago. I think my entire training time was laying down a base, not really building any power or muscular endurance. I should have done a shorter race for my A-race this year and saved the half for next year.

Event comments:

Race was good and well done. I really enjoyed it and would do it again. The weather was certainly agreeable - much cooler than anything we have in Texas this time of year. It was only their 3rd year of doing the race, so I expect it to continue to get better.

Last updated: 2004-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:33 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 72/95
Overall: 415/658
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speed Suit - Full
Course: Rectangular course around the Santa Cruz Pier. The pier is 3,000 yards long. We swam out on the right side and back on the left side. The start was a normal beach start. I didn't charge into the mix - I was towards the back of the pack upon entering the water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:19:59 | 56 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 87/95
Overall: 554/658
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: About 5 miles of residential riding in Santa Cruz, the rest was going up Pacific Coast Highway towards Pigeon Point Lighthouse. We turned around just before reaching the lighthouse. The course was completely open on highway 1. There was lots of traffic and we rode on the shoulder. In some spots the shoulder got pretty narrow. There were also some BIG hills and lots of rolling hills. There was a messy rail road crossing that knocked several people off of their bikes.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:36:56 | 13.1 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 91/95
Overall: 598/658
Course: Course takes you from transition area, down the street, back down onto the beach (heavy sand) to the waters edge, under the pier, back through the heavy sand to the street, then up a steep hill. After that it was pretty flat and pretty nice. The beach thing is mainly to avoid a busy intersection that just can't be closed all day. The course winds along the coast with ocean views for probably 70% of the run. It was very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-09-14 10:12 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: Big Kahuna

2004-09-14 10:26 PM
in reply to: #61751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Big Kahuna
Great race!!! Your swim time was great! Congrats!
2004-09-14 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

Hey Terry, that is so impressive to be able to jump into the 1/2 IM  - the way you phrased it, it sounds like you havn't done many other tri's - I applaud you!! 

btw - that was so nice of you to take the time to help the guy at T1 with his tube, and help pace the runner - you are the kind of person I want around when I do my first half IM next year!!!

I'm going for that base too - more concerned about the endurance than the power. It worked for you from the sounds of it.  Congratulation, so cool to have done it !!!

2004-09-15 10:44 AM

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Congratulations!!!  Sounds like you were just right for your first half IM.
2004-09-15 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job. I did the same for my first 1/2 as far as training. Now that you have the base the next one will be better!
2004-09-15 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hey Terry!

How did I miss that you were doing this race in my backyard??? Congrats--a really great first effort, especially from sed. 15 months ago. I'm impressed! I was thinking about doing this 1/2 this year, but opted for the Vineman back on August 1st. I'm still not sure if I can handle the ocean swim.

Great job,

Dana

2004-09-15 10:31 PM

Veteran
Keller, TX

I love this website!  Everyone is so supportive - hell, I'm ready to go do another half!

Thanks for the support.

TB

2004-09-15 11:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Congrats on a great race!!!
2004-09-16 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Great race, Terry. My half in '05 will be much like yours, no power or speed, but solely on the foundation of base miles. I commend you on your accomplishment, its truly outstanding!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Kahuna Rss Feed