General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Omega/Mediterranean diet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-15 11:28 AM

Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: Omega/Mediterranean diet?
My overweight husband went to a new Dr. this week and this Dr. recommended the Mediterranean diet for him (hubby has high BP, high cholesterol).
It sounds nutritionally reasonable to me but the fat content of the diet is higher than I am used to eating (about 35% fat calories vs about 20%).
Since I am mostly in charge of shopping and meals in our home, I welcome any comments/experience you all may have had on this diet and any cookbook recommendations.

Thanks so much

2004-09-15 11:49 AM
in reply to: #61929

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Omega/Mediterranean diet?
I don't know much about THE Mediterranean diet, but being of Med lineage, I know that there is a big slant towards whole foods. Fish is also a big part of the diet. And lets not forget garlic, wine and lots of fresh veggies. What source are the fats coming from? A decent rule of thumb is that if the fat is liquid at room temperature, it's far better than fats that are solids at room temp. Granted, we're speaking again about whole foods. Sesame, peanut and olive oils, etc. as opposed to butter. Omega 3 (and 6 to a lesser degree) fatty acids are shaped in a certain way that allow them to be used by our bodies for good stuff. Bad fats are shaped in a way that makes our body look at them and go "What the heck is this??" Just my 2 psi.

-Frank
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Omega/Mediterranean diet? Rss Feed