General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Top vs. Bike Top Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-05 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
Subject: Tri Top vs. Bike Top
I know that most of the bike tops have the pockets in the back but is there a difference wearing one or the other for an entire race including under a wet suit? They both seem to be made of the same material and most of the bike tops are form fitting. Just seems like the bike jerseys have more options as far as looks go.

2007-06-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: #830565

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Tri Top vs. Bike Top
For imaz, I wore one during the bike and run. I agree with you, on longer distances, I like the bike jersey over the tri top/suit. Didn't have any chaffing issues or anything. However, I caution you not to go cheap on the bike jersey. Some of the lower models I have, the seams are too big and in the wrong places, and can cause some problems during the run.
2007-06-05 12:46 PM

Regular
Tampa
I just got my first bike top a couple of weeks ago, I won it in a raffle after a race. I havent ever used a tri top and I never really wanted a bike top cause I dont really like the "sponsered" look.. I normally swim and bike shirtless and throw on a running tank in T2. Anyway, since I now had this fancy new bike top, I figured I give it a try. I loved it on the bike, very comfortable. Then I tried in the water. It felt like I was swimming with a parachute and it weighed a ton out of the water, retaining a lot of water.

Since I liked it on the bike, I figured I'd wear it in my next race, putting it on in T1. Again really nice on the bike. But I didnt like it on the run. Keep riding up, tight, felt very restrictive. Even with it upzipped all the way it was bothering me. I wont wear it again, unless I am just biking.

I still need to try a tri-top...
2007-06-05 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I suggest you dip your bike jersey in water then go cycling and come back to the post.   Personally I would never wear a jersey under a wetsuit.  I am having bad chaffing visions in places where the shirt bunches up. 

Tri tops are typically made of a quick dry material.  While the pockets are not big and deep in a tri top, I have yet to buy one that doesn't have something in the back.  You also need to ask yourself what you need those deep pockets for in a race.  The only time I have needed pockets in a race was to store a gel flask or nuun container, so the tri top worked perfectly.  I plan on racing IM in a tri top

For casual group rides or long training rides, I often do wear a jersey.  But I also pack an extra tube, cell phone, 2-3 bars, etc.

Edited by ADollar79 2007-06-05 1:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Top vs. Bike Top Rss Feed