General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO - Fall Chill Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-09-19 8:52 PM

Subject: CO - Fall Chill
Hi guys,
I'm doing my first sprint triathlon this weekend, at Fall Chill, and just stumbled upon your discussion thread. I'm freaking out here! I have a couple of questions, and if anyone could please help, I would greatly appreciate it! I'll even buy you a free beer at Loveland!

1. To any contact lenses wearers out there: any special goggles you can recommend that don't allow water in at all? I'm thinking about buying a pair that more mask that goggle (but without the nose piece)...

2. I've been training on my cruiser, and feel pretty good...but am thinking about getting a road bike (cause I've discovered I love biking!)...will I be okay on my cruiser this weekend? I'm not looking to place, just to finish...

3. The wetsuit dilemma: should I wear one? Are most people thinking that its going to be pretty cold?

Other than the questions, I'm soooooo excited... are there any other first-timers????

2004-09-19 9:20 PM
in reply to: #63898

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: CO - Fall Chill
Good luck on the tri' sounds like a great time.

1.I wear contacts exclusively on tri's and have had no problems with regular goggles, just practice with them a few time and make sure they get a good seal.

2. wetsuits do help all swimmers, makes good swimmers better and just ok swimmers (me) better. They provide a bit of safety if you insecure or unsure of your swim ability, most likely won't drown with a wetsuit. They do provide a bit of warmth but the big benefit is swim performance. Is it worth buying or renting one for just one tri, probably not unless you have the $$. Just take it slow and easy and enjoy the day.

3. bike- you will do ok with the cruiser especialy if it is a short tri and you are used to riding it 12 -15 miles and have no problems. Having a road bike is better however let that come with time. Also you shouldn't make drastic changes inwhat you train on for a race, especially a few days Go with what you know and have fun. Lots of folks change somethng from their training and regret it in a race.

good luck and welcome
2004-09-19 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

Welcome Emily!  The Fall Chill won't be my first, but it will be my second.  And as I understand it, kimj81, Novo, bootygirl and coredump will be there too.  Did I leave anyone out?  Oh, and Stacers.  And Ovetta?

I was going to polar bear it, but Kim says the water temp is in the 50s.  Check with Fleet Feet in Boulder and Runner's Roost about renting a wetsuit if you don't already have one.  If you with to buy one, www.racycles.com has some for $100, as does one other place that I can't think of right now.

I wear contacts, and have tightened my goggles up so that I don't have any water leakage.  If you already have a pair, try to adjust the straps so they won't leak (but they shouldn't hurt when you put them on).

You'll be fine on your cruiser bike for this race, as it isn't all that long (sprint).  There are plenty of bike shops that can set you up with a nice road bike.  Just about every place that I've been too recently has been very helpful (except Bicycle Village in Boulder).  Look at the Specialized Allez for a good (starter) road bike, and you can work from there.

Hope to see you at the Fall Chill!

As of 9/17/04 - water temp at Boyd Lake is 68 degrees and falling.

Edited by joeinco 2004-09-19 9:38 PM
2004-09-20 11:21 PM

whoo -hoo! thanks for all the info, guys! I'm excited...and nervous...I really appreciate your responses, though, they're calming my nerves.

I hope everyone has a great race!
2004-09-21 11:26 AM

User image

Elite
Reno
HI Emily

wetsuit - yes!

Many of us are second timers here..... I am looking forward to this one for the differences it will have from the Danskin.

Less people (the dansking had about 3000) - my people can find me easier!
All my BT buddies in the CO area will be there to meet!
It is more competitive - won't be so easy to walk the run with everyone else!
My fiance is here to cheer!
It is co-ed - not what you think, I just want to see how it is different from the "you go, girlfriend" atmosphere of the Danskin.

See you there!

2004-09-23 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Utah
Emily,

I wear contacts and use the Aqua Sphere Seal mask. I have NEVER had trouble with it. One's field of view is better with the mask than with goggles.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CO - Fall Chill Rss Feed