General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM and burned calories - run vs bike?!? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-06-14 12:33 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: HRM and burned calories - run vs bike?!?

Why is it that my HRM always shows I burn more calories running vs biking?

I know my HR is typically higher when running vs biking BUT when I bike, my leg muscles seem (rate of perceived exertion) to work much harder... Is there more to just HR in figuring overall calories burned thus making what I read on my monitor suspect? (I tend to figure 'actual' calories burned is much lower than what I read on it regardless of sport though).

2007-06-14 12:41 PM
in reply to: #844438

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: HRM and burned calories - run vs bike?!?
Nope, you answered your own question, your running HR is higher, that's all. HR monitors gauge calories burned by duration of activity, HR, your age, your wieght, and sometimes any AT or VO2 data they allow for.
2007-06-14 12:47 PM

Veteran
Ontario

You feel the "burn" more in biking because its more of a resistance exercise.  Think of it like lifting weights.

I don't use a HRM but from all the equipment at the gym, nothing burns calories (according to the machines) like running.  Other than swimming maybe. 

2007-06-14 1:54 PM

There was a study done a while back that found roughly that for every 4 miles of biking it equals 1 mile of running. I also read an article in Cycle Sport that tried to compare the world class cyclists with other sports. The top runners averaged about 1/4 as many miles in a year.

2007-06-14 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Hmmm, seems like anything where you support all you body weight with your legs will burn more calories because you must work harder to overcome gravity.  Biking your sitting, swimming your floating.  Running up hills burns more than running on flats...

2007-06-14 2:45 PM

User image

, Texas
HRMs are a poor tool to guesstimate calories. Calories are a measurement of work. Effort (HR) gives no real indication of work done.

For example, you are a new runner and you just ran an hour with aveHR 160 and went 4 miles. Fast forward 3 years. You're at the same weight and you run an hour with an aveHR of 160. This time you run 8 miles. Do you think you burned the same number of calories? I'd guess you've burned about double on the later run. How is your HRM to know the difference?

2007-06-14 2:56 PM
in reply to: #844778

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

camy - 2007-06-14 2:45 PM HRMs are a poor tool to guesstimate calories. Calories are a measurement of work. Effort (HR) gives no real indication of work done. For example, you are a new runner and you just ran an hour with aveHR 160 and went 4 miles. Fast forward 3 years. You're at the same weight and you run an hour with an aveHR of 160. This time you run 8 miles. Do you think you burned the same number of calories? I'd guess you've burned about double on the later run. How is your HRM to know the difference?

What about a HRM/GPS combination, like the Garmin Forerunners? Wouldn't they, at least theoretically, be able to give a truer estimate?

2007-06-14 4:01 PM

User image

, Texas
I guess I should have stated this in the first reply, but I'm not a physiologist nor have I studied at all to become one. I am an engineer and have taken a couple Physics courses a long time ago.

I believe that the Forerunner has the potential to be the 2'nd best "common-man" tool to guesstimate calories. The best would be a power meter, but even those will have to assume some things (RMR, for instance).

I'm basing my opinion of this calorie stuff on the assumption that calories burned closely follows work = force x distance.
With a Forerunner, you have the distance and with some acceleration profile combined with persons weight, it could be able to get fairly close to guesstimating the force. I have a FR305 and had a FR201. The 201 provided much more consistent and I'd bet accurate numbers. I'm pretty sure Garmin, with the better sensitivity of the 305 receiver, added in the elevation to the calculations. But, the elevation part is still not very accurate, so the calorie numbers are considerable off. Also, some unit update helped the 305 considerably.

Polar did something right when they funded a college (at least some 3'rd party) to do their research. At one point, I found the paper, but searched again and came up empty. If I remember correctly, they claimed an accuracy of +/- 25% on their formula.

I get the feeling that Garmin hasn't put the same effort in their calorie formula.

I realize that there is some physio stuff that this doesn't account for (heart pumping, lungs breathing, etc), but I believe that these are fairly small and are insignificant in getting the guesstimate within 10%-15%.
2007-06-14 4:13 PM
in reply to: #844938

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
camy - 2007-06-14 6:01 PM
I'm basing my opinion of this calorie stuff on the assumption that calories burned closely follows work = force x distance.

One problem with this assumption is that in order to reasonably calculate this using distance (and force for that matter) the measurements would have to be incredibly accurate and precise (which, as you point out, civilian GPS is not) as you would need to calculate the work to move the body forward and up (or down) plus the forces and the constant movement of the centre of mass (up and down/left and right) and the forces involved.

The other problem is that this is assuming that the human body is 100% efficient when it comes to calorie consumption into work, which it is not. Depending on the activity, it may be more or less efficient, but consider how much heat is created during exercise and is simply given off as waste to the environment.

Shane
2007-06-14 11:25 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Nearly everyone is going to burn more calories running than they do for biking for a given period of time.   If cycling feels harder than running, you are either running too easy or using too hard of gears on your bike.   Try shifting to easier gears and pedaling at a faster RPM.  

Using your HRM's calorie function is a good estimate.  It can be off.  It is probably closer than all the calculators you find on the internet though.   

2007-06-15 5:04 AM

New user
I don't think distance really matters, I think it's effort x time.

Otherwise biking downhill would burn as much as biking up hill.

2007-06-15 7:36 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Anyone know how swimming figures into the mix? (I wore a HRM one time swimming - too bothersome to wear for training but will wear for races). Swimming's HR's are lower so would imagine calorie burn is even less than bike burn.

2007-06-15 9:09 AM
in reply to: #845299

User image

, Texas
gsmacleod: I agree completely. But, I think you can get the accuracy within 85%-90% somewhat fudging these numbers.

BbMoozer: this calculator may help you get in the ballpark. If you google for a calorie calculator you may get some others that may work better. Oddly enough, I bet you won't find many (if any) that uses HR as an input.

kblahetka: The difference in going up/down is the force required. The force required to bike uphill is much greater than that required to go downhill (possibly 0). So, even if the distance is the same, the calories could be much different.

Edited by camy 2007-06-15 9:13 AM
2007-06-15 10:08 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
thanks Camy for that site. At least gives a ball park idea.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HRM and burned calories - run vs bike?!? Rss Feed